Welcome to Gaia! ::

I like action/ violence/ drama plots, but there will be (But plot will not be centered on) homosexual relations, as well as 'alternative lifestyles'.

So in your opinion, how much gay would it take to:
A) Make the average person, who isn't gay but doesn't take offense to it
B) A person who is against it

Stop reading?

edit: Basically I'm trying to decide to either tone down the gay to appeal to a broad audience, or specialize it to the gay comic community.
Why worry about that?

If you're putting it online, it will find its audience. For every person who stops reading, there will be many who won't.

Don't self-censor like this. You can't control how people react to your work and you shouldn't worry about audience reaction until you've actually got the damn thing done.
Read this:

http://www.squidoo.com/writing-gay-characters

Also, how important is their sexuality to the story? If it's not that important, then I wouldn't see the reason why you should throw in a bunch of sex scenes. The same goes for stories about heterosexual relationships.

Too much sex: gay people have lives out of the bedroom. Not enough sex: gays have a sex life too. Season to taste.

A good rule of thumb is to just let the gay characters do it about as much as straight characters would.

Also, not all gay people NEED to have a boyfriend/girlfriend. Again, it just really depends on how much of the story revolves around romance/their struggles with sexuality/etc.

Don't worry about homophobes, and don't censor yourself. Somebody out there will be offended by the mere mention of homosexuality. You can ignore them.

Anxious Lunatic

9,150 Points
  • Grunny Grabber 50
  • Bunny Spotter 50
It's your comic, don't take out gayness in case someone gets offended by two people liking each other. Do what makes sense for the story.

Hell on the internet you're likely to get more of a fanbase if you have random gay sex.
Mighty Smurgleburf

A good rule of thumb is to just let the gay characters do it about as much as straight characters would.
This this this! if you don't want to make any particular romance (gay or straight, it applies both ways!) central, then only refer to it as and when it would come up.

Honestly, if someone doesn't read your comic because they're offended by gay people, you likely haven't lost an important and interesting reader there razz
Mighty Smurgleburf
Read this:

http://www.squidoo.com/writing-gay-characters

Also, how important is their sexuality to the story? If it's not that important, then I wouldn't see the reason why you should throw in a bunch of sex scenes. The same goes for stories about heterosexual relationships.

Too much sex: gay people have lives out of the bedroom. Not enough sex: gays have a sex life too. Season to taste.

Also, not all gay people NEED to have a boyfriend/girlfriend. Again, it just really depends on how much of the story revolves around romance/their struggles with sexuality/etc.

Don't worry about homophobes, and don't censor yourself. Somebody out there will be offended by the mere mention of homosexuality. You can ignore them.

Haha the sexuality is not important to the story itself, but it is VERY important to their characters. I.E I have a male character that is very androgynous, very sexual, and very flamboyant about this. / I have a domme woman (A very main character), with an army figuratively, and often literally, under her foot. So I suppose yes, alternate sexuality while not part of the plot, is a serious motif, haha.

Very Rocky Horror, but with more guns and mutants.

There will be relationships, but these will be in the shadows compared to the actual plot. And if there is any sex actually part of the comic, it will work as a seperate standalone shorty.

Say I post this up I just don't know how much 'backlash' im gonna have to deal with.
What backlash?

Times have changed a lot -- and the sort of people who read webcomics are unlikely, as a whole, to give you trouble over representing LGBT people in your work.

Seriously. Don't sweat it. Rabid homophobes are not out to get you or your work. Just do what feels natural for the story.
Unfortunatly, if you have any openly gay characters at all then you're at risk of terrible people going 'Eww gays are icky' and shutting the comic, not matter what level of 'gayness' there is. Like has been said though, these people are dumb and few and shouldn't be catered for smile
Seriously, there are a ton of comics that now represent homosexuality, and they nudity and sex scenes, and a lot of fans.

Please don't cater to homophobes by censoring yourself, but don't make the sex a bigger deal than it really has to be.

edit: unless you're into fanservice. And sometimes, I like me some fanservice, so I couldn't knock you too much for it.
hmm... well I dont really like romance based stories much.

but from what I heard (cant remember were) if you want a broader audience try to keep it about pg 13, it can be higher or lower.

so long as the characters dont look under age (even if you say they are not) Im cool.

... then again, not one for stories that center around love relationships. Or rather I've read few that I liked

5,400 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Friendly 100
I dont read those types of mangas if it shows them making out or dropping crude hints about certain stuff at all. Then again I'm an anti-yaoi person.

Unbeatable Prophet

15,475 Points
  • Battle Hardened 150
  • Bookworm 100
  • Normal Everyday Human 50
meru2u
I dont read those types of mangas if it shows them making out or dropping crude hints about certain stuff at all. Then again I'm an anti-yaoi person.

i have a feeling you are very far from the target audience here.
i love you jerk city heart

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces