Welcome to Gaia! ::

My artist is looking for some crit on our webcomic. I, personally think she is awesome and all I can give her for crit is "you are awesome. Keep being awesome."

Also, I don't draw.

Needless to say, she wants somebody that isn't me to tell her what she needs improvement on.

Here is the webcomic: Godseeker

She is particularly fond of these pages:
20, 28, 36, 40, 49, 55, 58, and 61

If you decide to read the whole thing, I would be thrilled to get some feedback on my writing, as this is my first long-term comic project and any crit I can get is only going to help me be as awesome as my artist.

Thanks to all that take on this quest!
Reading from page 20, ended at 42.

Font sucks. Get a more legible one. Nice direction arrows. The black/white block colour pages, nice use of positive/negative in liu of panels. Works well, usually. Whoa, succubi and wincest. Got interesting. Old women's tits sag, by the way.

Page 31. Tell your artist to get a few references of old people faces and draw them. This woman in panel one, the eyebrows are too thick, uniform, and blocklike. They also need to be thicker closer to the middle of the face, not thicker at the arch. The eyes look huge. Old people have smaller eyes because skin is sagging all around them, and big eyes = innocence. Her noses are too much a straight block during the length, and it looks awful. I'm thinking make the pit of her neck deeper.

Really, your font is awful. I don't even want to read this text because it's hard to. Also, the black/white solid block pages are getting a little... overused? I wish you could have cut the pagecount for this part, or made it more personal, IE show not tell. It also would have been a better idea, instead of xx pages of this style, to break it up into smaller chunks, revealing it as it's bearing relevance to the story at hand.

Page 35. Tits are not balloons, not even on chubby women. Don't hide the feet. Hips aren't just a perfect oval from waist to knee, and the calves are too short. The man's pose looks very stiff.

Page 36, panel one, very nice lighting/angle. Good texture on statue.

Oh hai, groping. So this is an adult comic. ;D

Your artist generally handles value and inkwork well, but draw some faces for practice, and moar feets if she's bad enough to need to hide them. Font.
Oh hey, I've been enjoying this comic for a while, actually. So y'all are a writer/artist duo?

I haven't been looking at it with a 'critical eye' while reading; i'll see if I can come up with some stuff.
merixthexninja

Page 35. Tits are not balloons, not even on chubby women. Don't hide the feet. Hips aren't just a perfect oval from waist to knee, and the calves are too short. The man's pose looks very stiff.

Page 36, panel one, very nice lighting/angle. Good texture on statue.

Oh hai, groping. So this is an adult comic. ;D

Why in the name of everything that is holy are you posting on a WHITE BACKGROUND with PALE GREY TEXT? Are you trying to kill my eyes? I already wear glasses. Stop trying to kill my eyes.

Furthermore, oh no, not groping!! Grow up. (It was a playful squeeze from one lover to another, upon waking up. It was completely non-sexualised and tastefully done. Grow up.)

I would also like to point out that the statue on pages 35 and 36 is clearly -- very clearly, especially if you'd been paying attention -- representative of a mother goddess and the exaggerated hips and breasts are on purpose and show us, readers, that yes, this statue is of a fertility goddess worshipped because she is fertile and bountiful and mother-like. Also possibly a goddess of sex. Hence the exaggerated breasts and hips. I am trying to get this through to you, because you clearly missed the very obvious fact that a) the artist can draw natural-looking breasts and b) this comic is about a pre-industrial, just barely post-hunting-gathering society that worships a mother goddess representations of whom are entirely in line with known, real-world representations of such.

Observe.

What next? When someone turns up with a comic set in ancient Egypt and depicts some murals, will you critisize them for drawing the people in murals with profile heads and forward-facing torsos? Would you go into the British Museum and tear apart the anatomy of Babylonian statues?

merixthexninja
Font.

It's hand-lettering, not a font, as far as I can tell. The problem here is that these are saved as JPGs with artefacting. It's not unreadable.

Next up, "wincest"? It's a creation myth. They're all like that. It's not even worth pointing out that a creation myth has incest in it. They are ALL like that.

As for the solid black and white pages -- it's a story within a story, it's a nice style and it's important that the creation myth and religion of these people are set up as early as possible, since this is a comic that clearly concerns the religion of these people. And there's no real way to show the relevance of myths to the story, without outright pointing it out in dialogue, aside from showing us the myth.

Phoenix_Singer -- try saving the files as GIFs or PNGs and see if you and your artist can get an Ames Guide for lettering. It'll help a lot.

I've read this before, then sadly lost the link, so I'd have to read it again to crit writing, but I enjoyed the and the art is lovely. My problem with it, so far, is that everyone looks like teenagers, due to the head/body ratio. Big cartoony heads can and do work, but right now it's making everyone look ten years younger than they're meant to be.
Zee is right about it all. Statues have a completely different composition than people, particularly idol statues, so it looks just fine.

I like it alot. The lettering is nice, and the setting is pretty unique. The woman on the cover has very good anatomy and your artist did a good job of making her attractive and not stick thin. She looks squishy and kind.

I'm still reading it but my only complaint is the alligator on page 38 has a very short torso. whereas they are supposed to have long spines. Then again I'm still not clear if that was done on purpose or not, as if it's not really supposed to be ab alligator but a fantasy creature. In which case carry on.

Oh, and so far the main characters are a very cute couple. I like the detail she gives to the girls freckles, it's very cute.
Biggest flaw of this comic:

There isn't enough of it.

Get crackin' on that.
ahaha. yes sir, samdoug sir!

we are cracking.

we are...actually working on the next chapter right now.

don't worry! there will be more! One a week, until my artist is no longer a grad student with an unpaid internship and we can go back to 2 times a week. Look for the increased update schedule next October.

Thanks for the feedback folks!
Zee, I'm glad I'm not the only one who realized it was a fertility goddess. It makes me feel all warm and fuzzy to know I'm not the only one who knows art history.

And yeah, this needs more pages. Do it.
Mr McGrumpypants
Zee, I'm glad I'm not the only one who realized it was a fertility goddess. It makes me feel all warm and fuzzy to know I'm not the only one who knows art history.

And yeah, this needs more pages. Do it.

I concur on this as well, it definitely needs more pages.

Also, I worked out it was a Fertility Goddess as well. I thought it was a rather well done image too.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff