Welcome to Gaia! ::

Link to product description of my computer: http://www.amazon.com/Pavilion-DV9740US-17-0-inch-Entertainment-Processor/dp/tech-data/B0010S2OBY/ref=de_a_smtd
(HP Pavilion DV9740US 17.0-inch Entertainment Laptop (Intel Core 2 Duo T5450 Processor, 3 GB RAM, 320 GB Hard Drive, Vista Premium) Radiance)

I accidentally hit "switch user" on my laptop computer. The result was that my screen turned black and the keyboard stopped responding entirely. I can turn the power on and off, but that's it--my screen is always black and my entire keyboard (exception for the on/off switch) is totally unresponsive. Google gives me no answers....

Does anybody know how to fix this? If you respond and I am able to fix the problem, I will reward you with vast amounts of gold because you have saved me a trip to a computer repair shop.

Thank you.
More then likely your hitting "switch user" and laptop mussing had little to nothing to do with each other. Does it show the BIOS screens when you start it or does it stay completely black? If your screen really does stay black does it make any noise and do the caps and numlock keys activate their LEDS?
How would you be able to tell if your keyboard was responding if the whole screen was black? The only way I can think of is through the capslock lights. Still if your screen is black it could be that your video card got jarred loose somehow in which case you would have to get into your laptop and remove it and place it back in securely. But if you get the BIOS and/or windows startup screens, it could be a system 32 file that is preventing your computer from booting in which case you may want to consider running fixboot.
The screen always stays black--no bios screen or anything like that. No noise is made, and the lights on the keyboard do not respond.

I decided to send it into a repair shop; it sounds like it's a problem with the hardware and will need to be replaced. Thanks, HP. It's going to cost me $150.

Thanks for trying to help anyway, guys.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces