Welcome to Gaia! ::

Dapper Genius

6,750 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
Vankar
Well if she is interested then just play a game with her, don't try and push it onto her, if she doesn't like it, then just back off and don't push it. It would be a nice activity to play with her, but if it is a toll on your relationship to do it, then I wouldn't keep going.

Also for the record, it is not impossible to find a girl interested in table top gaming, also I have dated one, she became a b***h after she got cosmetic surgery on her face, but before that she was alright. So just because a girl is interested in gaming won't mean she is great, it is just a bonus.

I'm not pushing her in to anything, but it's really not unusual for us to explore each others hobbies now. We've been dating for nearly two years now, I think it's only natural that we start trying to get each other to enjoy the same things.

If I wanted to force her in to it I'd withhold sex.
As the girlfriend of a tabletop gamer, my best advice is to invite her to sessions. Give her time to get used to the idea of gaming, and perhaps she'll come around. You might also try introducing her to Exalted.1
Going by the demons/vampires thing, you may have some luck with a Storyteller game. They're decently well constructed, and very simple to get into (Old-Mage wasn't, but I hear they actually made it a lot easier to follow then it used to be; I sincerely hope so).

And that sounds like a fun party. biggrin
Ah, so she will be surrounded by all your friends, likely feeling pressured (not intentional on your part, I know, but it will happen anyway) to join in. This makes things more complicated.

I highly suggest that you consider how your friends will play this game, and how their personalities and behaviors might affect your girlfriend.

Do you have a resident snarker, who might make her feel uncomfortable while she's still learning the system? Do you have players who might overshadow her by dominating a conversation with setting knowledge or system mechanics?

These are important things to consider, and I urge you to perhaps have a chat with your friends ahead of time, to make sure they play this game in a laid-back, welcoming way.

EDIT:
Especially since you are the GM, and cannot show too much favoritism. Perhaps assign one of your friends (one that she actually likes, perhaps) to be her mentor.

Dapper Sex Symbol

6,250 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Medalist 100
Pro-tip. Don't try and get her interested, just bring her with to spend time with you. It's how I got my GF into games, she came with me to the game shop and we sat playing D&D/warhammer/MtG and started asking questions, from that point it's just offering to teach her the game.

Does she play video games? does she play WoW? play the WoW tabletop. (not kidding btw)
Into anime? BESM.
Friends
+
Alchohol
+
User Image

Or you could just start her off with DnD 3.5 Castle Whiterock and kill her in the first session with an assassin vine. It worked for me. biggrin

Greedy Gaian

When it concerns a significant other and table-top gaming, the best rule is "DON'T."

It's awkward as a three-thumbed carpenter in a nail-pounding contest for your group to put up with someone who is new AND skeptical. It's an added stress to you, lowering your overall fun (which is the reason for the hobby). And your significant other is trapped in a room with a group of unusual and (let's be honest) vaguely stand-off-ish people. So unless he/she shows some sort of directed interest or you STRONGLY and honestly believe he/she would enjoy it, just don't.

I'm one for three on bringing significant others to the table to stay. And the one who DID come was scarcely a victory, vanishing for an hour at a time during some sessions and diminishing the group's overall enjoyment.
Yugioh: Chicks can learn it real easy.
If you're with the typical DnD guys and your wench isn't a huge fan of lewd humor and nerd talk, then it would probably help to have her play as a female character.

800 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
Patches the Drow
If you're with the typical DnD guys and your wench isn't a huge fan of lewd humor and nerd talk, then it would probably help to have her play as a female character.
Just don't end up like Mike Sorayama when Dr. Venture successfully rolls to seduces your girlfriend.
Lie. People who play D&D have no girlfriends.
Kojiami
Lie. People who play D&D have no girlfriends.

neutral I do so.
Like most people above me, I recomend a Storytelling game. I'm a tad unsure about d20 modern as a choice, as she might sit down to learn the rules, only to discover it's D&D with a different paint job. Depending on how deeply she dislikes D&D, you might want to keep her away from the d20 system for awile.
Best of luck!

Man-Hungry Conversationalist

8,300 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Elocutionist 200
Jill_Frost
When it concerns a significant other and table-top gaming, the best rule is "DON'T."

I'm trying to figure out which angle to break your argument from first. . .

Quote:
It's awkward for your group to put up with someone who is new AND skeptical.

Two things: in our hobby, almost ALL new players are 'skeptical' when approaching roleplaying. It's still viewed as a 'kids' hobby' because it looks, to outsiders like make believe. And trying to get a non-gamer into LARP can be that much more difficult ((But the drama nuts seem to love it. . .)). So, even if it's akward, this is how our hobby grows.

Second thing: group dynamics, as important as they are, are easy to fake with established group. Treat the newb like one of the team until they prove otherwise. PEriod. It's also easier with a newer group without an established heirarchy, since they'll develop one as time goes on ((Typically with the new player somewhere near the bottom or side, but that's how newbies end up in most groups ANYWAY.))

Quote:
It's an added stress to you, lowering your overall fun (which is the reason for the hobby). And your significant other is trapped in a room with a group of unusual and (let's be honest) vaguely stand-off-ish people.

Actually, new players typically ADD to my fun, as it's the rulelawyers who I have to fight against. And if your group is still full of 'standoffish people' maybe you need to step into a new decade? Most of the people I game with are described as charasmatic. Admittably weird though. That just happens to be the type I hang out with anyway.

Quote:
So unless he/she shows some sort of directed interest or you STRONGLY and honestly believe he/she would enjoy it, just don't.

Believe it or not, ANYWAY can get into gaming, it's just a matter of finding the right game for the right person. They don't like conflict? Try PAndemic. It's a cooperative board game. They enjoy the cut throat of reality television gameshows? How about Paranoia? Lord of the Rings, have them play D&D. If they like real time strategy video games, or are 'armchair quarterback' perhaps a solid strategy game is in order?

Quote:
I'm one for three on bringing significant others to the table to stay. And the one who DID come was scarcely a victory, vanishing for an hour at a time during some sessions and diminishing the group's overall enjoyment.

So your experiences are indicitive of the gaming community as a whole?

Shirtless Builder

9,200 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • PAAANNNTTTSSS 100
  • Brandisher 100
I got interested in D&D when my sister was surfing the net and we came across what D&D was, that was about 5 years ago when I was 12. Then one of my friends came up to me and asked me if I ever played before, of course I said no and wanted to try, lucky for me most of my group was new at it. What had sucked me into playing was that the DM was pretty funny even though his jokes were (mostly) sexually, he also did not put us in situation were we might die right away.
It's been awhile since I have played any table top games and I soon want to DM myself since I took the chance and bought the PH, DMG, and MM1 (3.5). It will always depend on the first session make it enjoyable, and she may want to play some more.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff