Welcome to Gaia! ::

Eloquent Streaker

Question regarding gestalt characters. I was told that when you build a gestalt character, you only get the bonus feats from one class, and if the two classes you're building a gestalt of are spellcasters, you only get the spellcasting from one of the classes.

I want to confirm this, because both of these seem to contradict everything I've read about gestalt characters (you basically get ALL the features of both classes), and the latter in particular seems to go against the very spirit of gestalting in the first place (building a character that's more powerful than either of its base classes). Both honestly sound like house rules to me, but the people I play with (who have been playing D&D and Pathfinder longer than I have) are insisting that's how gestalts work.

Ixor Firebadger's Husbando

Snarky Mage

That sounds like something they're erroneously believing then. You get the class features from both classes, which includes bonus feats, and the entry about making a gestalt character even specifically mentions that you keep track of your spells separately if using two (or more) spellcasting classes.

You should ask them if they're read the rules on gestalt character building lately or if they're using house rules. Sometimes information gets remembered incorrectly.

Urabyfirst's Husband

Fashionable Prophet

8,700 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Hygienic 200
  • Friendly 100
Requiem ex Inferni
Question regarding gestalt characters. I was told that when you build a gestalt character, you only get the bonus feats from one class, and if the two classes you're building a gestalt of are spellcasters, you only get the spellcasting from one of the classes.

I want to confirm this, because both of these seem to contradict everything I've read about gestalt characters (you basically get ALL the features of both classes), and the latter in particular seems to go against the very spirit of gestalting in the first place (building a character that's more powerful than either of its base classes). Both honestly sound like house rules to me, but the people I play with (who have been playing D&D and Pathfinder longer than I have) are insisting that's how gestalts work.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show. Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but they think that if you make a level 5 cleric/ level 5 wizard, that they will be able to cast spells as a 10th level character in both classes? I mean, just in terms of spells, that sounds impossible. If you are talking about 3.5 and pathfinder rules, then no. A fighter3/wiz6 will have only the powers of a 3rd level fighter and a 6th level wizard. to Balance out the powers of these two classes the person would have to take levels in a prestige classes that works with both.

The best example to the aforementioned character would be Eldritch Knight (I forget what it was originally called in 3.5) whom when gaining a level, in the prestige class, would gain spells AND bonus feats. The downside, however, is that his fighting capabilities aren't COMPLETELY like a fighters, and his spell capabilities aren't COMPLETELY like a wizard. This is the representation that nobody can master all things. Jack of all trades, master of none.

Eloquent Streaker

IAMNOTCREEPY
Requiem ex Inferni

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show. Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but they think that if you make a level 5 cleric/ level 5 wizard, that they will be able to cast spells as a 10th level character in both classes? I mean, just in terms of spells, that sounds impossible. If you are talking about 3.5 and pathfinder rules, then no. A fighter3/wiz6 will have only the powers of a 3rd level fighter and a 6th level wizard. to Balance out the powers of these two classes the person would have to take levels in a prestige classes that works with both.

The best example to the aforementioned character would be Eldritch Knight (I forget what it was originally called in 3.5) whom when gaining a level, in the prestige class, would gain spells AND bonus feats. The downside, however, is that his fighting capabilities aren't COMPLETELY like a fighters, and his spell capabilities aren't COMPLETELY like a wizard. This is the representation that nobody can master all things. Jack of all trades, master of none.
I think you're thinking of multiclassing. Gestalt is a variant ruleset that works differently than multiclassing.

Urabyfirst's Husband

Fashionable Prophet

8,700 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Hygienic 200
  • Friendly 100
Requiem ex Inferni
IAMNOTCREEPY
Requiem ex Inferni

I think you're thinking of multiclassing. Gestalt is a variant ruleset that works differently than multiclassing.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show. Oh I see, I apologize. rofl
Me and someone I knew played 1 Gestalt character each one time. Despite them being poorly built due to our inexperience, both of them ran roughshod over a short 18th level generic adventure (both were lv20). They...also had the epic level paragon template added, which is also why they were poorly built besides the classes we chose. Mine was dragonfire adept/ranger/fighter and the other was fighter/wizard.

Yeah. OP. I regret making a character like that nowadays...

Dangerous Poster

Gestalt characters never sat right with me. Felt like cheating. It isn't of course, I mean there's rules for it; it's meant to be used. Silly, right?

Aged Informer

Ya, your fella needs to back and reread those small set of guidelines to Gestalt play. Firstly as to Bonus feats, there are two kinds of Bonus Feats you see. Character and Class, if you don't understand the difference you have 0 business playing Gestalt.

Your Character Level or Hit Dice (in the case of Monsters) determine Character bonus feats and stat increases. Character level also determines your Max Skill Rank.

Now things do get odd when it comes to Class Abilities

Quote:
A gestalt character gains the class features of both classes. A 1st-level gestalt rogue/cleric, for example, gets sneak attack +1d6, trapfinding, 1st-level cleric spells, and the ability to turn or rebuke undead. Class- and ability-based restrictions (such as arcane spell failure chance and a druid’s prohibition on wearing metal armor) apply normally to a gestalt character, no matter what the other class is.

A Wizard Sorcerer would get the spell casting of both classes.

Quote:
A gestalt character follows a similar procedure when he attains 2nd and subsequent levels. Each time he gains a new level, he chooses two classes, takes the best aspects of each, and applies them to his characteristics. A few caveats apply, however.

Keep in mind that Gestalt rules in total run about a page and a half minus class example combos. They really are less rules then guidelines and up to how a GM wants to implement them.

Quote:
Class features that two classes share (such as uncanny dodge) accrue at the rate of the faster class.

This one most people miss, especially with things like Uncanny Dodge. Mainly this guideline is aimed at stacking abilities off each other way sooner then they should. Uncanny Dodge stacking to Improved Uncanny Dodge. This may be where your buddy got the wrong idea about stacking Spell Caster classes. Yes, spell casting has the same name but they really aren't the same class features. I can't think of class that is identical spell casting, aside variants of a class, which aren't legal of multi-classing normally and aren't really legal for gestalt.

Quote:
Gestalt characters with more than one spellcasting class keep track of their spells per day separately.

This one take the piss out of the guy saying that you'd only get the spell casting off One of your two gestalt classes.

Quote:
A gestalt character can’t combine two prestige classes at any level, although it’s okay to combine a prestige class and a regular class.

One Prestige class at a time! Gestalt can already get crazy when you multi-class inside it but PrCs make it even nuttier to track. When it comes to prestige class that grant +1 Caster Level, these should flow established multi-classing guidelines. Each time you gain a "+1 Caster Level" you have to pick which qualifying class it applies to.

Now this is why Gestalt is more guidelines then rules. The rules don't explicitly prohibit you from taking a Prestige class with +1 Caster Level and a Level in the Spellcasters base class. However this goes partly in the face of "Two Classes sharing a Class Feature" guideline, also any GM or Player worth the bother can see very broken (even for gestalt) allowing that would be. Functionally it could allow Epic spell casting well before Epic. Like 6 levels too early.

Quote:
Prestige classes that are essentially class combinations-such as the arcane trickster, mystic theurge, and eldritch knight-should be prohibited if you’re using gestalt classes, because they unduly complicate the game balance of what’s already a high-powered variant. Because it’s possible for gestalt characters to qualify for prestige classes earlier than normal, the game master is entirely justified in toughening the prerequisites of a prestige class so it’s available only after 5th level, even for gestalt characters.

This one a GMs gotta really watch. A great many PrCs out there are at base combo classes. Although in most cases these PrCs look far less attractive next to just staying in your Base class.

Personally IMO the bigger issue over all with Gestalt play are the Savings throws with Multi-classing. The "normal" method breaks very fast. My personal house rule to the house rule is to "stack" levels of Save types. I also "stack" BABs.

Savings throws are Good or Bad. If you get a +1 Good save you increase the "level" of your Good Save progression.

Example (// is Gestalt break): Wizard 15 / Archmage 5 / / Fighter 10 / Barbarian 5 / Ranger 5 /

For Fortitude you'd normally add both the Fighter Barbarian and Ranger values together for +15. In my system you'd have gotten to Fort Good 20, for +12.

The more PrC/Class you stack on the worse the saves start scaling.

Original Gaian

Social Pipe Bomb
Gestalt characters never sat right with me. Felt like cheating. It isn't of course, I mean there's rules for it; it's meant to be used. Silly, right?

Cheating, maybe not, but they are ridiculously strong, ridiculously fast.
One thing a GM can do is apply an XP penalty to Gestalts to keep them from leveling up as fast. Given their power, it should balance them out. Applying a level cap could be a good idea in its own right.

Alternatively, the NPC enemies could also be Gestalts with optimization backing them up.

Those are the only real ways I know of that can balance them out.

Super monsters aren't the way to go for obvious reasons, powerful liches have the same problems, even the gods, demon lords, and archdevils themselves might not be able to give a good enough challenge. It may as well be epic level without anyone being over 20th.

Dangerous Lunatic

8,150 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Brandisher 100
I like how our DM handled gestalting. We had to earn it by seeking out an artifact capable of granting the power. In this particular case it was a cracked mirror hidden in a cave on the elemental plane of Earth. Each facet of the mirror reflected back not the room before it, but rooms elsewhere in the multiverse, where other versions of our party were.

When my duskblade touched the facet of the mirror showing an arcane mechanic (Iron Kingdoms d20) version of himself, he gestalted into the arcane mechanic and his counterpart on the other side gestalted to duskblade.

One idea for including something like this into a story might be if a BBEG completely outclasses the party and they feel there's no chance to overcome it. Maybe it's an evil god or something from beyond. Whatever the case the PCs know that they have to become stronger and are desperate from anything that'll work. Via research, rumor, bardic knowledge, or mcguffin the party may hear of something nearly impossible to obtain that could magnify their power.

Dangerous Poster

Hey, I'm trying to brainstorm options for a character in my friend's Pathfinder game but don't have the books handy for a few days. I'm playing a rogue and need to know what prestige class options I have that will maintain her sneak attack progression. Okay, "need" is an overstatement. Still, anyone know a good prestige class or two with a good sneak attack progression? He might allow D&D 3.5 prestige classes with some adjustments.

Edit: Few days just turned into two weeks without access to the books, so... still could use some insight if someone can suggest any goods prestige classes.

Dapper Elder

12,000 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Grunny Harvester 150
  • Beta Gaian 0
3.5e

Hi again thread!
Anyways I am running a new campaign and hope to include some planar travel.

I've already given a player a cursed item that could induce the travel without her knowing (she thinks it is just a regular item even though I told her she felt compelled to keep it lol) and I was wondering if anyone had any fun ideas.

Beloved Lunatic

felinoel
3.5e

Hi again thread!

I've already given a player a cursed item that could induce the travel without her knowing (she thinks it is just a regular item even though I told her she felt compelled to keep it lol) and I was wondering if anyone had any fun ideas.

Going color blind in the astral plane sounds fun(ny).

Dapper Elder

12,000 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Grunny Harvester 150
  • Beta Gaian 0
from blue to
felinoel
3.5e

Hi again thread!

Going color blind in the astral plane sounds fun(ny).
lol I was looking for something a little more... more.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff