Welcome to Gaia! ::

merixthexninja
sinistersquid
Random Logline Generator

Jesus invade(s) Poland in a blood-filled teen slasher.

confused

xD

I'd read that. I'd read that just for the lulz.

If battle pope exists and Jesus is a hippie, I would be very interested to see what he would do on the opposite end of things.

5,300 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Noob wrangler 100
  • Forum Junior 100
Stop Him
Baron CatBrush
If you usually read manga, try reading some different comics. Not everything out there is superheroes!

I would say: If you're moving out of the Comfort Zone, don't be afraid of the freaking superheroes, either. Sometimes there's interesting concepts there. Look closely, take things apart, and it's interesting to see how many popular manga stories out there are actually superhero comics, just dressed up a little differently. Naruto, Bleach, DBZ - especially DBZ - all superheroes.

You're absolutely right. But a lot of people tend to think of American comics as being all superheroes, and don't realize there's anything else out there. For example, if you can't enjoy Jeff Smith's Bone you are probably some sort of heartless monster.
Meowhead
Spandex is the devil's clothing... it only took me one anime convention to realize that. xd

Spandex is a PRIVILEGE, not a RIGHT. smile But on the average build of the average superhero, it's permissable. And I don't see why it's so necessary by all weaboo mangaka-wannabes to trash the superhero genre, either... there's some good stuff in there, just like there's plenty of crap in the manga "genre" (which is not a genre, it's a point of origin).

Knowing some of the history has been helpful for me; I do apply bits of what I've learned in my art and comic history courses from time to time.

Also, know what you're doing from a technical standpoint. So many people come in with their "OMG AWSUM MANGO" that's filled with crooked panels, oxplow layouts, no space for dialogue (or dialogue spilling over the edges), and other just plain weird things that a little technical knowledge and thought would have fixed before they even started. Don't think that reading scans of Naruto on www.bootlegyourmangoeshere.come is enough research--go and read some actual BOOKS on the process (like, say, Scott McCloud). Understanding Comics is GOOD. Making Comics is GOOD. They help. You won't get it all right away (God knows I'm still struggling with some technical points), but they'll give you the basic knowledge so you don't have to reinvent the wheel all the time.

As far as inspiration: I like dreams. I keep a small notebook and pen near my bed so I can jot down dreams or bits of dreams when I wake up. I've found that the more frequently I write down even little bits, the more frequently I remember dreams when I wake up. Just remember that dream logic =/= real logic, and any story idea you get from a dream will probably need some tweaking to make it work within the rules of the real world (or at least within suspension of disbelief).

Oh, and ask someone who's not your BFF to give their honest opinion of your story idea. BFFs will kiss your a**; people giving critiques won't. If you want a real, honest idea of whether what you're doing has any potential, put together a concise pitch and give it to someone with the request to not sugar-coat it. No amount of sugar will make your "omg original ninja skool" story good.
I think the best thing to have when having an idea block is the willingness to look at things you used to think weren't very interesting before.

A door, for example. There are plenty of them in buildings, cars, closets, etc. But if you take the time to take some interest in it, it might become something special. Like the doorway to Narnia, for example.

Also, it helps if you don't just splurg out any random idea that comes to mind. Creativity is appreciated, but if there's no logic to the flow then no one can follow.
I get a majority from my daydreams, dreams, and pondering what-if scenarios.

...and then I elaborate them and research...

6,200 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
A good way to get ideas is, if you can draw, to get someone else to write for you. There are plenty of excellent, ambitious writers out there who would crap themselves to see their ideas become a comic book.

Not the best way to go about it, but if you're really that strapped for ideas, it isn't a crime to resign yourself to design and execution only while someone else does the brainwork.

Benevolent Genius

13,900 Points
  • Grunny Harvester 150
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Mark Twain 100
User ImageShocking...

I love this thread! I actually don't have a problem coming up with ideas, but I always like finding more sources and inspiration for even more. The more ideas you have, the less likely you'll end up in a situation where you're, like, homg what should happen next? That's the way it is for me, anyway.

...isn't it?User Image

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces