Welcome to Gaia! ::

Or in the other words kind of "have you had any second thoughts"-thread.

Ok, I have started my comic project, sketched it roughly and inked few pages, but some second thoughts lurked in my mind how the comic should be done. So, where I could get second opinions? Ok, if it would be short story, most obvious place to ask would be from my comic teachers, but then we are talking about relatively long story, around 200 pages. As long as I remember, my country's biggest problem is that editors and publishers doesn't give any critique, if they don't publish the book and I highly doubt it would be published. So where I dare to ask same kind of views? I know that there is comic enthuisiasts, who like to read, also those, who know how to do them, but I honestly need an opinion from marketing point of view, so where to turn to?
When you say "marketing point of view", do you mean, how you should try to market the book once it's finished, or are you asking what changes you could make to the work to make it more marketable?

A big part of either of those questions is another question: "which market?"
Major Malfunction
When you say "marketing point of view", do you mean, how you should try to market the book once it's finished, or are you asking what changes you could make to the work to make it more marketable?

A big part of either of those questions is another question: "which market?"

To make it more marketable. Since it is tragical romance story from the 17th-century, I just would like to know, does it have any potential to be self-published in here, where the comic markets aren't so wide as in France, UK or US.
Empuska
I just would like to know, does it have any potential to be self-published in here, where the comic markets aren't so wide as in France, UK or US.

You haven't told us where "here" is, so it's difficult to say. Perhaps if you mentioned which country you were talking about, someone else from the area could see that and offer an opinion. (You might also consider changing your topic title to "Editorial Issues in [whatever the name of your country is]" to attract those people's attention.)

The best source for advice on marketability would, of course, be someone who actually works in the market, but if you can't get any direct advice from that kind of person, the best you could do is to show the comic to other people whose opinions you respect and listen to what they say, keeping in mind that in the end they are not actually editors...
I'll do it.

I'm a small fry comics editor and publisher in the UK. see www.itchpublishing.com

I'll have a look at your work, but there are conditions:

you can get it to me in an easily accessible way (downloadable pdf, a fast loading webcomic, or a zip with screen resolution pages would do).

If I like it, you'll be willing to negotiate me publishing it.

If I don't like it, I get to bail. In other words, if I don't feel it's worth commenting, I'll stop.

If you're OK with those, my email is itch@itchpublishingNOSPAM.com. That e-mail address contains a subtle intelligence test. I hope you pass.

Thanks, Willie
Stop Him
Empuska
I just would like to know, does it have any potential to be self-published in here, where the comic markets aren't so wide as in France, UK or US.

You haven't told us where "here" is, so it's difficult to say. Perhaps if you mentioned which country you were talking about, someone else from the area could see that and offer an opinion. (You might also consider changing your topic title to "Editorial Issues in [whatever the name of your country is]" to attract those people's attention.)

The best source for advice on marketability would, of course, be someone who actually works in the market, but if you can't get any direct advice from that kind of person, the best you could do is to show the comic to other people whose opinions you respect and listen to what they say, keeping in mind that in the end they are not actually editors...

Sorry, Finland is the country, I'm talking about, and that makes it's really big problem, since the comic is done in Finnish. Of course since I have thought to publish it as a webcomic, it will be appeared in English somewhere in the future, but because of doing it currently, it's more comfortable to make it in my native language.

My idea was that if someone would know some vague answers, where to look more specific, because I don't feel comfortable to ask my friends, who are too into reading stories (since it's cliched) nor my teacher, who is too into the making process of it. Of course, we have those little publishers, who would like to read them, but most of them try to publish as alternative as possible, so that mine, which tries to be more mainstream, was critiqued from this aspect.
I would give Elina Hopeasaari a email or something, see if she has any ideas. ("Otter Soldiers" is one of the best webcomics available (but it's a "read from the start" sort of thing or you'll be totally lost), and Elina is also the only Finnish comic creator I know of.)
WillieHewes
I'll do it.

I'm a small fry comics editor and publisher in the UK. see www.itchpublishing.com

I'll have a look at your work, but there are conditions:

you can get it to me in an easily accessible way (downloadable pdf, a fast loading webcomic, or a zip with screen resolution pages would do).

If I like it, you'll be willing to negotiate me publishing it.

If I don't like it, I get to bail. In other words, if I don't feel it's worth commenting, I'll stop.

If you're OK with those, my email is itch@itchpublishingNOSPAM.com. That e-mail address contains a subtle intelligence test. I hope you pass.

Thanks, Willie

HEI LIK I TOTLY TRIED 2 E=MaiLZ u BUT GotZ MaiL twisted JEZE WHAT teST? I NT SO GuD @ coMPUtesz

Sorry I had to.

5,300 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Noob wrangler 100
  • Forum Junior 100
WillieHewes

I think that is more of a knowledge test as opposed to an intelligence test. Just because someone is unaware that you are supposed to remove NOSPAM from an email doesn't mean they are lacking intelligence. It means they haven't heard of this convention.

Shadowy Phantom

User Image
If you decide to self-publish it, it might be a good idea to have an extra run in English, since that's a much larger market. You might have a hard time getting your work out there in Finnish, but it's much easier to find customers for works in English. English sales might even make up for printing costs for the Finnish books. The same goes for getting it professionally published as well. There are a lot more English-language publishers. If you have your comic published in English and it gains some success, you should have an easier time finding a Finnish publisher for it down the line.
Finnish! Oh, right. Uh, you didn't say that. neutral

I don't know any Finnish editors, oddly enough. Hope you find someone though. You could try an ordinary or children's book editor, they might be able to help?

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff