Welcome to Gaia! ::

I started coloring a piece of art in Open Canvas 1.0. With the basic tools it offers, that's a very time consuming process.

I did this piece in photoshop recently, and was ecstatic about how it turned out
User Image

In the midst of the excitement, I completely forgot about the other piece, which looking back was beautiful in its own rights.
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Ofcourse I'm stuck in that horrible transitional phase of art, where I can't decide which style to pursue, but my thought is that perhaps Photoshop makes it a little too easy for people to become artists.
It's like a double edged sword. Because while it makes it easier for people to express themselves, maybe they actually lose a bit of their own input with all the shortcut tools photoshop has to offer. Especially if you look through some tutorials, it can be incredibly easy to recreate difficult special effects, if you know which tools to use.

Personally I've always admired traditional artists the most. The ones who can take some paint and ink, and make it look as if it was done in photoshop, but better. That's what I define as true talent.
K so I'm not in to large artwork on Photoshop but this recolor is nice but u should try 2 lower the out glow or try to blend it better because it stands out 2 much other then the glow nice recolor
I don't think Photoshop necessarily makes things "too easy"...it's just another medium. It has its challenges.

The tool doesn't make the artist; using Photoshop doesn't suddenly make your art fantastic. You yourself have proven this as your Photoshop picture doesn't look as good as the other one.
Photoshop is just a tool, you still have to have basic skills and talent to make a good-looking image. A lot of the traditional artists that I know are horrible at digital media, they find it a lot easier to make a finished-looking image with paint and ink and pencils than using Photoshop. I really think that the digital vs traditional argument is really irrelevant x
        I so totally fail to see how Photoshop is making things any easier than Open Canvas, Painter, or any other program.

Also, last time I checked they all offered the same tools.
I think Photoshop just need's as much practise as drawing with a pencil or shading.
There are so many techiniques you can use in Photoshop and many way's to colour and present work, so I don;t think it's easy,
I mean sure, everyone can do lineart and colour underneath it but it's just like pen and pencil.. you need to learn and practise different techniques and affects.

It's not about the medium. It's the Artist.
No medium is better than the other as it is all personal opinion. But saying just one medium is better isnt going the right way to experiment with new thing's when they pop up as you will soley straight away just keep to the Traditional stuff and not expreiment truely and see what Digital Art has to offer. When both come out with stunning results.
Play with Photoshop until the new wears off, and you won't be so impressed. Personally, I think your older image is better, without all of the dodge and burn abuse.

Photoshop requires the same art skills as any other medium, traditional or otherwise.

1,350 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Signature Look 250
  • Hygienic 200
One thing I hate about photoshop is that people abuse the burn and dodge tools.

8,200 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Brandisher 100
Pretty much every medium is easy...unless you intend on doing it well that is.

Personally, I think you used waay too many filters and effects in photoshop, it looks tacky. Usually people that use shortcuts are newbies to the program or pros that use it in a manner that it's more a 'technique' than a 'shortcut'.
Photoshop does have all sorts of nifty tools, filters and adjustments that help with your art. These are all easy to use, but they're actually quite difficult to master.

Photoshop doesn't automatically make your art better, as evidenced by the huge amounts of artwork "improved" by dodge, burn or, god help us all, lens flare filters. In Photoshop you might design a brush tip that draws out entire locks of hair at once, toss on a layer mask and a clipping mask and you can design a head of hair in minutes. But unless you know how to work those tools properly and how a head of hair is supposed to be drawn, it won't even look like pasta.

I guess I'm just trying to reiterate what's been said before; Photoshop is a tool and a medium. It's just as difficult to learn and if you don't take the time to do that you might as well work in MSPaint for all the good it'll do.
Only real reason why I use photoshop is because it has a pen tool. That's the only digital art I can do.

By the way, your photoshop picture is actually not so great. You used way too much of the dodge tool, the background just plain sucks, and it hurts my eyes. I'm not exaggerating.

Seriously, practice with photoshop for a year or two and come back to your first picture. You will cringe.

Yeah, your second picture is much better.

Sparkly Hunter

6,050 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Consumer 100
I use Photoshop because I personally don't have the space or time for paints.. Though I enjoy traditional art.. I just could never use it that well. I admire traditional art more then digital at times, but there are some images done digitally that just make your jaw drop. You can't really compare the two they're two different styles..and each person who uses them will find the way that matches there style.
There is so much more improvement you can make with the first piece it's not funny. The second as well, but I feel the second is more aesthetically pleasing.

Since I started using digital media, I noticed that my technique with traditional media improved, especially with translucent media like watercolors and markers. I was already fairly good with other traditional media like acrylics and colored pencils, but those two I mentioned before? Forget it. I just had too heavy a hand with them.

My skill with traditional media gave me the upper hand with digital, but my work with digital has definitely helped me to improve at traditional as well.

My journey with both has been difficult and long. I am still eight years later discovering all that I can do with Photoshop.

It really pisses people off when people like you come along and devalue our hard work to unlock the full potential of such programs, especially when what you're producing is barely a fraction of what an artist is capable of producing with the program.
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Okay. You see this? It is a picture of a boy whore in a stained glass window with a green-white-brown colour scheme. I made it using the pen tool, a vector tool that exists somewhere in photoshop. To a newbie, it may seem like rocket science, but to an expert, it may seem like photoshop basics. And trust me, I do not actually know photoshop that well.

Whether or not this looks cool is up for debate (currently I'm working on a stained glass masterpiece), but let's just assume it looks cool for the sake of my example.

What I'm trying to say is that the coolness of your artwork is based not on WHAT you use to make it, but HOW you use whatever you used. You can use just about anything: photoshop, prismacolors, paints, pencils, highlighters, anything. As long as you use your medium of choice in a skilled and artistic manner, your artwork will be good.

And trust me, the pentool wasn't a piece of cake when I first tried it. It was weird and confusing. But as I slowly learned how to use it and gained skill, I managed to make stuff like this.

Only through long years of pentool practice was I able to make stuff like this, which is why your photoshop picture sucks. You need to learn how to use the dodge and burn tools, not abuse them!
no I disagree, photoshop makes things quicker and more convenient, but not necessarily easier. the basics of art such as composition, lighting, color theory, etc. all still need to be mastered if you want to make consistently good art. photoshop has a lot of tools and filters that can make your art look better, but unless you really understand why they work in terms of basic art design, you're not going to be able to replicate them in other mediums. it's just a tool, remember that. so are oil paints, so is marble for sculpting. it's how you use your knowledge that counts, not the medium itself.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff