Welcome to Gaia! ::

Benevolent Genius

13,900 Points
  • Grunny Harvester 150
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Mark Twain 100
User ImageI d o n ’ t l o v e y o u m u c h, d o I ? J u s t m o r e t h a n a l l t h e s t a r s i n t h e s k y .

This entire thread was hilarious. Carbon dating? Chemistry does not work that way!

In a prefect world, this would be a publicity stunt for a new show coming to Comedy Central.

I d o n ’ t l o v e y o u m u c h, d o I ? I t h i n k y o u h u n g t h e m o o n a n d t h a t ’ s a l r i g h t .

Unbeatable Prophet

15,475 Points
  • Battle Hardened 150
  • Bookworm 100
  • Normal Everyday Human 50
CatBrush
DarKlawStudios
Yeah, I get how piecing things together in Comic Life would work (you can do that in just about any program with layers, I imagine), but drawing out every single element of every single panel on separate sheets based on the off chance you might reuse it later?:

Yeah I haven't heard of any professionals using this sort of copy and paste style, except maybe Greg Land. There are webcomics that do this, Ctrl-Alt-Del for example, that end up looking really amateurish and obvious. It kind of works for that sort of talking head comic, but for something like a superhero comic you want it to be dynamic. Doing things this way will just turn out to be really dull and lazy looking.

.... *cough* mm. well, i do it that way. granted, i'm not pro yet. but i don't do it that way for reusable elements--i'm just extraordinarily fussy. like, obsessively so. if i don;t like an element in the picture (which i never manage to catch until after i've inked), i want to be able to switch it out without redrawing the whole thing. i'm trying to break myself of the habit. it uses a ton of paper, that i then have to store (which is a b***h).

i have to challenge you on the thought that it ends up looking dull and lazy. that's more a reflection on the artist than the method.
biggrin
wow.....just ..wow.
Deffclan9
biggrin
wow.....just ..wow.

neutral what?
Happy Pyro
Deffclan9
biggrin
wow.....just ..wow.

neutral what?

just the fact that some actual creators in said industry do do it that way.
it also saves time, when your attempting to meet your deadlines.(not much time, but every little bit helps.....) and that's where we got said idea.
until we were told about "creator" from a pro in the industry, that was told by his editor to at least give it a shot, we hadn't even heard of it before.
they ended up i hear, inventing a similar, and tweaked program. which they now use all the time.
*appears in a blast of lightning*

Thorsus demands talk of "Thorsaurus" to end!!! Thorsus is thy Lord and God and Savior! With his mighty hand he shalt offer the Lily of Peace if thou accept him....but remember....he is ever ready to smite thee if thou shouldst reject him! SMITE THEE VERILY!!!

Now...a reading from the Book of Badassery. Chapter 10 Verse 7.

Harken mine children and listen to the story of Thorsus's Temple and the comic lenders.

Long ago, Thorsus's unseemly uncle, Godin, sent his wicked comic lenders to the Temple on the Moor. The lenders would borrow the comics of the people but only the X-TREME books of the 90's. The people would be left with the unseemly books of Silver and Gold. Godin's lenders would lend each the most X-TREME books of the 90's and the people had naught but crap.

Now Thorsus did see crappiness his people endured and yelled most X-TREMELY "NAY, THIS INJUSTICE SHALT NOT STAND!!! VERILY!!"

And Thorsus did storm his temple and he SMOTE the comic lenders of Godin with might swipes of Schlogn, the mighty hammer. Many squishy brains and bloody guts were spilled that day in the glory of battle. And the people received their books of 90 X-TREMENESS and were happy.

5,300 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Noob wrangler 100
  • Forum Junior 100
megrar
.... *cough* mm. well, i do it that way. granted, i'm not pro yet. but i don't do it that way for reusable elements--i'm just extraordinarily fussy. like, obsessively so. if i don;t like an element in the picture (which i never manage to catch until after i've inked), i want to be able to switch it out without redrawing the whole thing. i'm trying to break myself of the habit. it uses a ton of paper, that i then have to store (which is a b***h).

i have to challenge you on the thought that it ends up looking dull and lazy. that's more a reflection on the artist than the method.

Wow. I would have never guessed. And you're right it would depend on the artist. At any rate I don't see how there would be an advantage to forcing artists to work that way in the case of MKUII.

5,300 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Noob wrangler 100
  • Forum Junior 100
Deffclan9
it also saves time, when your attempting to meet your deadlines.(not much time, but every little bit helps.....) and that's where we got said idea.
until we were told about "creator" from a pro in the industry, that was told by his editor to at least give it a shot, we hadn't even heard of it before.
they ended up i hear, inventing a similar, and tweaked program. which they now use all the time.

How about not acting like a vague p***k and mention some people who do this?
CatBrush
Deffclan9

How about not acting like a vague p***k and mention some people who do this?

you really don't listen very well, do you?
or pay very close attention to your favorite company. i take the other wow back......WOW.
CatBrush
megrar

Wow. I would have never guessed. And you're right it would depend on the artist. At any rate I don't see how there would be an advantage to forcing artists to work that way in the case of MKUII.

and there's no forcing to it. as long as its professional looking, the only thing we force, is no inking at all, unless u pay someone out of your pocket to ink it, or do said inking yourself.
Deffclan9

WHO? And WHO?
Happy Pyro
User Image

again, we not only do art wrong, but we dont even know our own companies confused
Deffclan9
and there's no forcing to it. as long as its professional looking, the only thing we force, is no inking at all, unless u pay someone out of your pocket to ink it, or do said inking yourself.

I'm a little confused. The more I see of your policies, the more they appear to contradict each other. What I'd read earlier made it look like inking was enforced, but the penciller had to be their own inker. That seemed like a bit of a waste, but made a tiny amount of sense for a company that doesn't have the capital to pay an extra part of the work.

But now you're saying that if someone doesn't pay out of their own pocket for an inker, or do it themselves, that... what? Are you implying that people should be turning in their pencils and that'll be the inked stage? Sure, some people can make pencils look like inks, but plenty of people can't, or just aren't comfortable with that.

And the earlier statements really did make it look like the only option was to draw non-sequential work. Care to reread what we were linking earlier and clarify? Or at least give the final word to this madness? I tried to leave this thread at a few points and consider my trainwreck syndrome sated, but it's really addicting. I really have to know how deep this rabbithole goes at this point.
megrar
CatBrush
DarKlawStudios
Yeah, I get how piecing things together in Comic Life would work (you can do that in just about any program with layers, I imagine), but drawing out every single element of every single panel on separate sheets based on the off chance you might reuse it later?:

Yeah I haven't heard of any professionals using this sort of copy and paste style, except maybe Greg Land. There are webcomics that do this, Ctrl-Alt-Del for example, that end up looking really amateurish and obvious. It kind of works for that sort of talking head comic, but for something like a superhero comic you want it to be dynamic. Doing things this way will just turn out to be really dull and lazy looking.

There's a difference between redrawing panels and sections of panels, and having a stockpile of backgrounds and elements to use. wink

As to Deff stating that the large companies do this: which ones, and which artists. I know tons of Marvel and DC artists, and none of them go by those methods.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff