Welcome to Gaia! ::

Once i got a message in my inbox on DA, someone's journal titled "A feature, a sermon, a thank you"

The thank you was for someone donating a subscription to her and the features were all beautiful works. The one thing that caught my attention (after the she mentioned it actually, lol) was that all the features were using traditional mediums. Thats where the sermon comes in:

The author of this journal basically talked about how people always put "blahblahblah DON'T STEAL MY ARTWORK OR I'LL CUT YOU" or something to that effect at the end of their descriptions but, they themselves are thieves.(at least a good majority on DA)

She did a poll (or watched one, not so sure there) where the question was "do you own a licensed version of photoshop?". It was a good 80% of people who answered no to this question.

She then went on to say that if she's saving up to buy photoshop so that way she's supporting the people who make the program and they, in turn, can make even better programs. She also made the point that people are basically stealing the program which taints your artwork.

This made me think a bit. I myself don't own a licensed copy of photoshop and, in her eyes, I'm a thief. And really, its true.

I took someone's product without paying for it. That is stealing, right? Someone, or some team. had to sit down and make photoshop, sai, opencanvas, your digital program of choice what it is today, so they deserve to get paid for it.

I agree with her on this statement, and when I get back to my desktop computer, there's a high chance I'm gonna uninstall photoshop. I don't want to be a thief.

Whats your view on this? Any fellow thieves out there? Anyone actually pay for the program you use?
I own my photoshop.
I feel very strongly about illegal downloads, especially if you're making money off of the programs you stole. It's like someone selling someone else's artwork for gain.
I quit a decent Design job at an advertising agency once because I found out their programs were all downloaded illegally. They got their programmer to download programs and cracks for them. (A business of all things!)
It's a matter of respect and valuing the work of others.
Wispered
I own my photoshop.
I feel very strongly about illegal downloads, especially if you're making money off of the programs you stole. It's like someone selling someone else's artwork for gain.
I quit a decent Design job at an advertising agency once because I found out their programs were all downloaded illegally. They got their programmer to download programs and cracks for them. (A business of all things!)
It's a matter of respect and valuing the work of others.

Whoa, a business was doing this? o_o My goodness.
Kudos to you for quitting that job and owning your photoshop.
Just because you don't own the program yourself does not mean you downloaded it illegally.

Some people borrowed thier copy from a friend, or from school (for example my highschool allowed
students attenting graphic design classes to install photoshop on their individual laptops or home
computers so they could work on projects outside of class).
I'm not sure of the morality behind that, my copy still isn't payed for personally, but I still did not
download it illegally.
*shrug*
I paid for my Photoshop. I bought it second-hand, but I bought it all the same.

There are enough cheaper and free alternatives that I would never support people downloading their programs illegally. It's especially heinous when people turn around and sell art for money. That's why I love that OC and SAI won't work correctly if you try to crack them.
SaiLun
Just because you don't own the program yourself does not mean you downloaded it illegally.

Some people borrowed thier copy from a friend, or from school (for example my highschool allowed
students attenting graphic design classes to install photoshop on their individual laptops or home
I'm not sure of the morality behind that, my copy still isn't payed for personally, but I still did not
download it illegally.
*shrug*
When you buy a program like Photoshop, you're also purchasing a license to re-use the serial number X amount of times. After so many people use the serial to register their copy, it won't work anymore. :3

The graphics program at the uni I went to had to have so many 'hard copies' of PS to have it installed on all of the computer lab computers. I'm not sure, but there may be a difference with schools that allows for more use?

In other words, technically you can give the program to whoever the hell you want as long as you initially purchased the license (aka you have the hard copy.)
SaiLun

download it illegally.
*shrug*

Oops. forgot to mention that, actually. I understand completely that there are people who get a copy from a friend or something. I have no problem with that. It was still bought by someone. Because I think with some programs you can use the serial key a certain amount of times... something like that.
devils I know
I paid for my Photoshop. I bought it second-hand, but I bought it all the same.

There are enough cheaper and free alternatives that I would never support people downloading their programs illegally. It's especially heinous when people turn around and sell art for money. That's why I love that OC and SAI won't work correctly if you try to crack them.

Yeah, the people for OC and Sai are awesome. Gotta admit, i've had a cracked copy of both of those as well. sweatdrop
If Vincent van Gogh stole oil paints to make Starry Night,
does that mean his famous works of arts are actually "tainted"?
And that he wasn't supporting the paint makers because all he wanted to do was create art?

...Okay....
I'll have to disagree.

I think my main point is to the person who said that is,
"get the ******** over it, and mind your own business".
Personally I am very much opposed to illegal downloads. I purchase every single song in my iTunes library, buy my digital painting/editing programs, etc. Personally, I ask myself this question: "How would I feel if I did work for someone, no matter what it was, but never got paid for it?" Just because people may feel it's unfair that they can't personally buy Photoshop doesn't mean that the people who work very hard to make Adobe's products (or any company, for that matter) should be punished for it. There's this terrible belief that so many people seem to go by in life; far too many people think that they should get everything they want for free or dirt cheap, but that they should get top dollar for whatever work they do. It's ridiculous, which is why I started buying all of my music and programs legally so that I can support my favorite bands/singers and companies.

I'm glad your rethinking your copy of Photoshop smile

EDIT: After reading above, I just wanted to add that sharing programs with friends or students is fine in my eyes. The license was still bought, and the customer made full use of their number of activations.
Whatever. Those programs are so expensive. I'll never have the money to buy them. My parents wont ever get them for me either. I'm super glad to have photoshop ( i ripped it off my school's computer and im not in the least bit sorry. I get to paint now. )

Adobe still gets its metric ******** of money from big businesses. Besides I hate being ripped off.
i think what a lot of people are forgetting is the fact that those people who use those said "pirated" photoshop-like programs and use them well,usually end up getting more recent versions BY BUYING THEM because it ends up being a profit incentive for them. those people who use the pirated ones are probably, im guessing, a vast majority of wannabe and/or just-for-fun artists.

honestly i dont condone the use of "pirated" programs but so many of those programs are actually so old the original creators usually dont care as long as it leads to the people who are downloading them to later deciding on that they want a more recent program with all the bells and whistles and it to be in there name.

personally, i used to use photshop 5(or 7, cant remember) that i got from a friend, but i dont know where he got his. but now its stuck on a crashed computer....yay...doesnt matter nowBUT now i use photoshop elements 5, corel painter essentials 3(both which i got FOR FREE with my tablet) and the all mightily hated gimp.

i think what i said makes sense....?

EDIT: i kind of go with what carmine says

and also this kind of follows this situation(not really but it makes you think):

a thief steals from a church and gives it to people in need
who is considered a thief though?
the thief for taking the money, the people for accepting the money, or the church for wanting to get back the money that it doesnt really need?
Strawberry Carmine
Whatever. Those programs are so expensive. I'll never have the money to buy them. My parents wont ever get them for me either. I'm super glad to have photoshop ( i ripped it off my school's computer and im not in the least bit sorry. I get to paint now. )

Adobe still gets its metric ******** of money from big businesses. Besides I hate being ripped off.

Even though they're expensive, there are free alternatives. I once got to use GIMP and its not that bad. SUMO paint's also an okay alternative even though its used through an internet browser and I'm sure there are plenty more that I don't know about that are actually free.
neko-axe
i think what a lot of people are forgetting is the fact that those people who use those said "pirated" photoshop-like programs and use them well,usually end up getting more recent versions BY BUYING THEM because it ends up being a profit incentive for them. those people who use the pirated ones are probably, im guessing, a vast majority of wannabe and/or just-for-fun artists.

honestly i dont condone the use of "pirated" programs but so many of those programs are actually so old the original creators usually dont care as long as it leads to the people who are downloading them to later deciding on that they want a more recent program with all the bells and whistles and it to be in there name.

personally, i used to use photshop 5(or 7, cant remember) that i got from a friend, but i dont know where he got his. but now its stuck on a crashed computer....yay...doesnt matter nowBUT now i use photoshop elements 5, corel painter essentials 3(both which i got FOR FREE with my tablet) and the all mightily hated gimp.

i think what i said makes sense....?

EDIT: i kind of go with what carmine says

and also this kind of follows this situation(not really but it makes you think):

a thief steals from a church and gives it to people in need
who is considered a thief though?
the thief for taking the money, the people for accepting the money, or the church for wanting to get back the money that it doesnt really need?

Hm. interesting point your bring up in your edit. Can't really think of much to say to it sweatdrop
Photoshop isn't a necessity, so the church thing is completely irrelevant. Professionals who need Photoshop for work will be able to afford the program at some point or another. While you're in school you can get a deep discount and you can also take out extra in your loans to grab it, just like you can take out extra to get books.

Otherwise, it's just something people want because it's big and flashy. It carries the same 'wow' factor that Copic markers do--people see 'Photoshop' and they oo and aa. Or I'm sure that's what people want to think their viewers think!

Most of the hobbyists using Photoshop would find OC 1.1 to fill their needs. Maybe with GIMP on the side for some of it's editing options.

Would you steal a car because cars are expensive, too?

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff