Welcome to Gaia! ::

Eloquent Explorer

Kyousouka
enchantedsleeper: I saw the new X-Files movie yesterday. I didn't like it very much, it was just a one-off story that had nothing to do with the mythology D: The first movie was myth-relevant and was still good for newcomers, so I doubt newcomers were the issue, I think they just couldn't think of a better story D:!

That's probably the one I've got, since the Blockbuster I went to seems to have more newer films than it does old ones. It had the second Hellboy but not the first. (I didn't even know there was a sequel). Even though I know the series is great just from hearing about it, that's never a guarantee that the film adaptation(s) will be as good... but I can only watch and see. As someone who's never seen the series and has no prior knowledge my standards will probably be lower, so...

Also: you're not a native speaker? o.O What's your native language, if you don't mind me asking? (I hope this isn't something I'm supposed to know and just missed you saying it xD).
Kyousouka: yeah, being naturally good at languages help.

I'm not. Naturally good, that is. I just lucked out. So not looking forward to having to become fluent in a third language. :I

Shadowy Phantom

Russian.

I rather liked the first X-Files movie. It was like an episode, just longer. It even had the same structure and style. The new one is more like every other movie out there and just happens to have Mulder and Scully. It was not a bad movie at all, I enjoyed it, it just wasn't what I expected and hoped for.

Zee: I really wish I could find the time to polish one of the other languages I (barely) know to fluency. I'm at a survival level in several languages, but I'm only fluent in two (Rus and Eng).
You and Zee speak better English than some people in my area. D: But I live at like, the bottom of Louisiana and if you go too far south, some people speak only that mutant version of French(a.k.a. Cajun French). Which is, it seems, the type of French people learn how to speak out here, and almost never real French. :/

Shadowy Phantom

Furry: The Spanish spoken around here, some of which I've had the privilege (?) to learn, is nothing like real Spanish.
Cajun French is a dialect of French, and dialects are often borderline separate languages. I know one dialect of Russian spoken not even 80 miles form the capital, that is unintelligible to most speakers of Moscow Russian, I learned it almost as a separate language.
Cajun? Ragin' Cajun!

I'm sorry, but Gambit is the first thing I think of when someone mentions Cajuns. That or Ray (who is significantly more annoying) from the new Disney movie.

Shadowy Phantom

If I spoke Cajun French, I think Gambit would be my only reason to be proud of it.
I'm pretty sure Gambit would be good enough of a reason.

On another note, I had two different Spanish teachers in high school. I swear they did not speak the same Spanish. Oxo
Everyone's Cajun for Gambit. heart
Gaaaaaaambit, yaaaaay.

Also, my arm hurts from playing the sword games on Wii. That thing is like...really ******** fun. Tomorrow, though, I will be in such pain. I need to get some actual games for Wii, now. Although it'll be at home and I will be at uni in a couple weeks. >_> And I will not see it very much until Easter.
Jesus Christ, never mind the tooth falling out, my cat has other problems. Apparently I'm the only one who notices this s**t? On one front paw (I don't know about the other yet), her claws have curled under on two toes to dig back into the pad. They're pretty stuck in. s**t does that look painful. I haven't seen her limping or anything, and she didn't go crazy when dad touched one, so I have no idea how long they've been like that. Vet visit for certain as soon as we can... Now I want the snow to let up so we can go. =/ I had a dentist appointment today, but they phoned this morning to cancel it. Things over here can't handle this much snow. The dumb bastards also didn't grit or anything yesterday despite the forecast, so the roads are terrible. Probably got nearly half a foot all told, with more snow expected in the rest of the week. Not many people went into work. Lots were stuck out on a highway all last night because of road closures and s**t.

Dad said maybe we could clip out the nails ourselves, but I figured if they're not infected already, and they don't look it, giving the cat open wounds on her paws wouldn't be great, considering the litter box.

Anybody have this happen to a cat before? D:
Because I enjoy making an a** out of myself, I have to ask... England needs highways? One would think that a railroad system would be much cheaper for a country of that size to maintain than a bunch of highways that get congested with traffic.

I'll never understand the compulsion for private transportation. I LIKE taking the train into Boston. It's leisurely. I'd probably kill myself before being exposed to its insane traffic, nevermind the metropolitan areas like New York City or Los Angeles. I enjoy being the passenger.

EDIT: Also, Wii Boxing was the game my brother and I played most.
Wow, nothing like that ever happened to any cat I used to have. How is something like that NOT painful? OxO

Edit: Lol, we posted at the exact same time. X3
AHAHAHAHAHAHAH oh, Heldy-poo. Let me tell you why private transportation is infinitely preferable to public tranport here. I will just talk about trains to start.

Let's say that it takes you 1 hour to drive somewhere. By train, it will take you two. And it will cost you about $20, more or less, depending on where it is. The price is the same for one way and round trip. Which makes sense to nobody.

Let's say that it takes you 2 hours to drive somewhere. By train, it will take you about four, and will likely cost you at least $55. Again, almost the same pricing for one way/round trip, maybe a dollar or two difference.

It takes about 40-60 minutes (some journeys take 2 hours if you hit one with looots of stops) by train from where I live to London. That is not really that bad at all, considering that London is a nightmare. It costs about $30, though, so for commuters? A yearly pass from where I live to London costs over $6000. Plus parking fees, I believe, unless you have someone who can drop you off or an easy way to get the bus there, which will likely end up costing you hundreds more pounds per year.

Oh yes, did I not mention you have to pay to park? It costs about $13 to park at the train station for the day. And then also you have to consider that you might not even get a seat on a train. Often, they are packed to the point of exploding. They are not always reliable, either. Weekends, especially Sundays, often mean construction, delays, some lines not even running and other lovely surprises. I imagine that now, in the snow, they have stopped running.

And also, you assume you can go everywhere by train or bus. You can get to supermarkets by bus, sure, but imagine doing a weekly shop with four or more heavy bags on a crowded bus then having to walk the 5-10 minutes home from the stop...in the rain. And then, say, if you wanted to visit somewhere in the country, with no train stations or bus stops nearby, what do you do then? Well, frankly, you go ******** yourselves, because you can't without figuring out an elaborate bus schedule. When I went to the local college, I had a friend that would spend 2 hours getting there, and another two hours back, for a journey that I think would have taken half an hour to forty minutes by car, at most. I think the bus stop was a 30 minute walk from his home.

Well, I think with all that, you probably get the picture. Our roads are badly planned and packed, but the public tranport is just as bad. This country wastes money and cannot manage s**t. I recently learnt about a guided bus-way thing between St Ives and Cambridge, a distance of around 15 miles, that cost over £116 million to build.

Mink: Yeah, when I see my cat's paw, I feel faintly sick and I'm all worried now. I never saw her limping, and it looks like it's been there for a while, so I'm wondering if it happened while I was at uni. But my parents would have noticed something, I would have thought, since she jumps up on the beds a lot. Guuuuh, I dunno. >_<;;
Woooow. It only takes $15 to get a 2-way ticket to Boston from halfway across the state. It takes an hour to get there. Then you pay $1-2 to get on the subway (doesn't matter what line because once you're in the subway, you can ride the trains all damn day if you're so inclined) and any station you get off of has what you're looking for within 10-15 minute walking distance. As for parking, I have no car so I always get a ride, which is what I'd do even if I DID have a car. $10 is more than enough to pay my friends for the gas to get to the station and back.

The weather could prove to be a problem, though. I remember last winter, I went to the Boston Museum of Fine Arts to take pictures of an art piece that I was going to write a paper on. The photos didn't come out, I missed my first train, went out to buy food and something to read at the only comic book store I knew of, then missed my second train while I was reading the comic book I bought. That means I basically sat around in the station for an hour after the second train left. It was REALLY cold out. In the single digits or below zero from windchill, I think.

I still love public transportation. heart It's fun.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff