Welcome to Gaia! ::

6,200 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
ZEAR0
Two posts of pure WTF.

Whaaa?

Anyhow, I just got a fancy new drawing desk to replace my old drawing desk, which is not so much a drawing desk as it is a busted coffee table. Drawing on an angle makes the biggest difference ever--my spine feels fantastic after using it for only a day. I'm not sure i could ever go back to drawing the way I used to.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

What kind of art set-ups do all of you have?
I have a desk similar to that but with a light clipped on each side and this attached tray on the right with little slot things for all my s**t. But I've never used it that much, only for bigger things, really. And it's at home, not at uni, since there's no space there or I would use it more now. Going to take advantage of it over Christmas break, though. But most often I'm at my computer desk which also has most of my drawing stuff on it, and I use a decent sized clipboard or a big sketchbook to lean at an angle to draw. I can't draw flat.

6,200 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
It's weird, when I was in college, I drew on an angle the whole time. When I ran out of money, I was back to doing my work on my parents' coffee table while I watched TV. When I moved out, I'd work on my own coffee table, and have been for about 5 years now.

I don't understand how I actually forgot how great working on a slant was. confused
Working on a slant is magical, it's true. Of course I still can't work on as severe a slope as I'd like because then all my supplies slide off onto the floor... One day, one day I will get a side table. One day.

Slanted desks are awesome. O:
Tape a wooden bar to the desk, it'll stop a few pencils and stuff from rolling off. Unless, you know, you're working vertical, but that's an easel, not a table.
Well, my pencils stay well enough in the tray at the bottom. I primarily do watercolor/inkwork, and cups of water do not stay so nicely in a little pencil tray.
Hah, yes, that would be problematic.
work on a slanted light table on top of my flat table(large) so I can keep all my supplies close by

Eloquent Explorer

sinistersquid
What kind of art set-ups do all of you have?

Normally I wouldn't have an answer for this question but it just so happens that I've been drawing most of today and all of yesterday evening (though I ended up completely scrapping what I drew yesterday, that was kind of depressing). It's not exactly a special set-up though. xD I just shunted everything on my desk, including my laptop, to the right so that I had space to draw. I would've put my laptop on the little extendible ledge thingy underneath but I like to be able to jump on Google Images for references if I need to. I also have my camera handy, and adjusted my desk lamp upwards to cast light on the bit of wall opposite because it's shadow puppets I'm drawing and I can't very well make one with both hands and draw it at the same time. x3 So I had to take photos.

I bet you all really wanted to know that.

I've never tried drawing on a slant, unsurprisingly considering I'm not an artist so I've never had a proper artist's desk. I can't imagine it. *holds sketchbook up at an angle and has a go at drawing on it*

Wow... that's actually really awesome @_@ Dammit, now I want a slanty desk!

Fashionable Shopper

7,450 Points
  • Profitable 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
Set-up? I just lay my paper on top of the nearest folder/book/small hard surface and put it on my lap while I sit on my bed. Sometimes I prop it up on my knees and lean against the wall. Or put it on the bed and hold myself up on one elbow. And various other uncomfortable poses that are going to make my spine bend in half before I'm twenty.

I just finished a drawing that took about 6 hrs and my neck is all effed up and cramped.
Psycho Bunny Studio
FurryMink
On the whole gun issue, I'm personally not one for guns. I mean, when I was little we had rifles(and still do) but I was smart enough to know you don't play with them or whatever. I'm also just one for knives and blades. >x> Actually, living in Louisiana it'd probably be weird if we DIDN'T have any guns. My house even came with a built in gun case.

Although this one time, my mom and I went to see this movie in Houston, because it wasn't showing down here and we didn't have anything else to do, and there was a sign that said, "No Concealed Guns."

That sign would worry me greatly.

They never really worry me... there's a lot of places that start putting up signs like that when a Conceal-Carry law is passed in a state, that have a huge "OMG GUNS ARE SCARY" reaction to the law and ban them from the premises. (I think the Mall of America has them up; we got one of those laws a few years back, don't remember when... the increase in shooting rampages opponents predicted never happened and no one really cares anymore that I've noticed.)

Art setup... I have one of those nice tables, but I don't have a chair or chairpad for it yet, so I sort of have a tendency to not actually use it... I'd LOVE to have a chair like the one we have at work, it's amazing, but it's also $170 and I have other things I can spend that kind of money on... like actual supplies.

Most of the time I end up on my futon or floor, with everything propped against my knees; I really should use the desk, because that puts things at too much an angle and my brush pen dries out.

My digital work area is marginally better... the desk shrunk when the old one collapsed and I had to buy a smaller new one due to tower size problems. But my on-screen workspace is kickass (2304 x 768 dual-monitor), and my tablet always sits in my lap when I'm using it anyway. It's pretty ergonomic, too, and actually does have a chairpad... wobbly cheap Ikea chair, but chairpad under it.
I put my tablet on the computer desk. Or I put a sheet of paper on a hardcover book and prop it up against the edge of my computer desk, but I don't do that often since I do most of my work digitally.

Dangerous Capitalist

7,650 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Profitable 100
Laptop on my desk, tablet on my desk, and sketchbook on my desk if I need to doodle something quick. I usually don't doodle digitally, I feel more at ease with a pencil/pen than a tablet, but I prefer to do my lineart and lettering digitally, mainly because quality paper is expensive.

My workplace is relatively boring.
Man, I hate having a conscience sometimes.

I REALLY want to buy Genesis games because I'm afraid that by the time I have money saved up, I won't be able to find original copies anymore. The problem is that I own a shitload of bootleg Dreamcast games and I feel compelled to make up for it by buying real copies.

The bootleg copies also don't always work correctly, so that's another factor in my motivation. Voices will stop working, video and audio will desync, or the CD will just stop working.

I suppose if I got a job this wouldn't really be an issue. I'd just get a debit card and start buying both.

6,200 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
Quote:
I'd just get a debit card and start buying both.

For a second there I was like 'Whaaaaaaaat?!' but then I remembered that someone once told me that everyone uses cash and credit cards in the states. Most people here use debit cards for everything, and credit cards are what people use in emergencies/to spend money they don't have.

Weirdness.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces