Welcome to Gaia! ::

I have seen multiple threads stating that the Earth would be a more peaceful and "nice" place if religion never played a part.

This is untrue; religion is what keeps a good amount of the population in line, its why everyone obeys countless laws, rules, and regulations. Religious followers thrive to maintain adequate character due to some intangible power that shakes its finger at us from thousands of years ago, saying "do it and i'll ******** kill you".

Its why many people are not raping and commiting genocide every day, its a fear of a mythical badass who is posed and ready to beat your head in. I do realize that many people are'nt religious, and athiests tend to be peaceful people anyway...

And yes, many wars have been fought and many people have died due to religion; but many more would suffer without its presence.

I'm not saying that "God" and popular religion are true (personally i dont), but i'm saying that the earth would not be a pefect world without religion.
i really dont think religion has that much effect on most of the population, sure mine has changed my ways for the better, but its a personal thing

as long as the religion doesnt go corrupt, its good, just like goverment, its good, until it goes corrupt.
This is to suggest that everyone who does not follow religion is a serial rapist, murderer and generally morally bereft person.
Stygian Soleil
This is to suggest that everyone who does not follow religion is a serial rapist, murderer and generally morally bereft person.

If you had a brain you would have been able to read my post, especially the part where i say "I do realize that there are many who arent religious, but athiests are often peaceful people."
jamiewillgetyou
i really dont think religion has that much effect on most of the population, sure mine has changed my ways for the better, but its a personal thing

as long as the religion doesnt go corrupt, its good, just like goverment, its good, until it goes corrupt.

Exactly.
You took the word right out of my mouth.
Stygian Soleil

No, it's to say that people who fallow relgion usaly put it above themselves. People who do not value something over themselves are usaly selfish to the point it greatly harms others.

Not all people without religion are like that, but with out religion, there would be a great deal of brutaly self centered people.
Sage_of_Icaria
Stygian Soleil

No, it's to say that people who fallow relgion usaly put it above themselves. People who do not value something over themselves are usaly selfish to the point it greatly harms others.

Not all people without religion are like that, but with out religion, there would be a great deal of brutaly self centered people.
I disagree. Very few atheists fail to see the fact that their lives are meaningless and their well-being should be compromised for certain things. Now, without religion the amount of hopelessly selfish people might increase slightly, but certainly not enough to make a noticeable dent in society.

However, religion does scare people into thinking that they should do nice things for people or they'll suffer, which is absolutely wonderful. People might not all be entirely selfish, but they are quite lazy, and hellfire is a great motivator.
I thought people didnt break the law because the cops would come after them and shoot them in the head if they had to..
Who cares about a god that is not there and all you have to do is say sorry and your good again..
Yeah theres no god so you could do w/e you want till you get put down like a dog at the pound..
And look at all the killings because of religion...
But what are your arguments for religion about, exactly? You've pointed out the what you thought as the net positive contributions that religion has added to the history of the earth, but is that also where your argument ends? Because even if say, I agree with the assessment that religion has contributed more good things in the world than bad, it can also be argued that it's also where religion's role ends--as a has been.

It might have been useful back then up to a certain point in history, but with all the science and knowledge mankind has started to accumulate, why can't we make newer rules to live with? Human beings have a very acute sense of fairness with or without religion. In many religions, there are also certainly rules that are enacted with past situations in mind, situations that may not match our current conditions.
Scripps
I disagree. Very few atheists fail to see the fact that their lives are meaningless and their well-being should be compromised for certain things. Now, without religion the amount of hopelessly selfish people might increase slightly, but certainly not enough to make a noticeable dent in society.

I'm not to sure about that.

I look at every extreamist, Islam and Christan, people who would kill and be killed over religion. I just think without religion most of these people would devote all that engery to greed and self induldence.

As you said, hellfire motavates, but it(usaly) motavates people to fallow laws, give to chaiity, and help others.
Kangaruu
I have seen multiple threads stating that the Earth would be a more peaceful and "nice" place if religion never played a part.

This is untrue; religion is what keeps a good amount of the population in line, its why everyone obeys countless laws, rules, and regulations. Religious followers thrive to maintain adequate character due to some intangible power that shakes its finger at us from thousands of years ago, saying "do it and i'll ******** kill you".

Its why many people are not raping and commiting genocide every day, its a fear of a mythical badass who is posed and ready to beat your head in. I do realize that many people are'nt religious, and athiests tend to be peaceful people anyway...

And yes, many wars have been fought and many people have died due to religion; but many more would suffer without its presence.

I'm not saying that "God" and popular religion are true (personally i dont), but i'm saying that the earth would not be a pefect world without religion.

Are you saying that humans are weak, and fear is the only thing keeping them in order?
Kecubung
But what are your arguments for religion about, exactly? You've pointed out the what you thought as the net positive contributions that religion has added to the history of the earth, but is that also where your argument ends? Because even if say, I agree with the assessment that religion has contributed more good things in the world than bad, it can also be argued that it's also where religion's role ends--as a has been.

It might have been useful back then up to a certain point in history, but with all the science and knowledge mankind has started to accumulate, why can't we make newer rules to live with? Human beings have a very acute sense of fairness with or without religion. In many religions, there are also certainly rules that are enacted with past situations in mind, situations that may not match our current conditions.
1) Most of the world is underdeveloped. 3rd world countries still need religion to tell them where lightning comes from. What makes you think that the whole world understands science. In fact, people in fully developed countries don't understand science, or ethics, or philosophy in general. So, how exactly do you propose to implement these new social motivators to the under-evolved masses?
2) The very fact that religious charities produce billions of dollars for the under-privileged is enough to keep it around for forever. We need to feed the hungry somehow, and religion gets the job done better than anything else we've seen so far. Maybe when we find a way to bypass efficiency laws and mass-clone cows without feeding them, we can do without religious charities, but until then we've gotta find another source of food for all those little African kids with the bloated bellies.
One realy good reason I like religion. I beleive in more absolutes, that some things are always wrong. And stupid people usaly go on about moral realitivity and such.

I can tell people rape is wrong all day, and some jerkass will say "It's subjective, and rape itself is subjective". But when the church says rape is wrong, more people listen.
I don't obey the law because of religion (I'm Atheist) I do it because it's the law. >.>;
And I guess you're right, and the wars that have been started because of religion aren't so bad because when you think about it war kinda helps keep the human population down.. ^^;

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff