Welcome to Gaia! ::

Friendly Gaian

12,700 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • Happy Birthday! 100
Hey Gang, my name is Bella and I've been posting my manga in my journal for about 2 years now. I know everyone makes Gaia manga but I have to think that mine is one of the first ones that came out and also, one of the longest standing at 75 pages... I make the pages alone and I've been continuing to add pages every week for the last year.

Should my manga get featured in the JOURNAL sectionby Gaia considering this devotion? Also, do YOU think it's good enough to be featured?

EDIT:
It seems some of you have the wrong idea. I really REALLY don't want to be hired by Gaia to be in ANY PART of the official story! I just want to know if you think my efforts are big enough to get it in the featured journal section in Gaia. Gaia's already posted in an announcement how to get into their team so I'm not ignorant on how to do it nor am I asking for anyone to campaign with me on getting me hired. stare I just want to know if it's good enough to get featured in the journal section. That's all.

FYI
My manga is not toned right now due to the fact that I have no time to do that because of RL obligations. If you'd like to help me tone my manga (and I'd ask you to only work on new pages) then I'd be most grateful! I'm making these pages completely for free and making ZERO profit, so I cannot pay, even with Gaia gold (cause I'm, poor) So, toning would be done completely voluntarily.

Post up a toning of my page or a sample if you'd like to help. biggrin

Here's a sample of the last page out:

User Image

What do you think?
I dont undestand why gaia hasnt featured you already i mean sERIOUSLY!!

Friendly Gaian

12,700 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • Happy Birthday! 100
grabthatdick
I dont undestand why gaia hasnt featured you already i mean sERIOUSLY!!

Well, thus far, the only people being featured are Mods... I mean, I asked a mod and he said that the best way is for someone to hit the "recommend button" on my journal. But whenever anyone hits it, it says that the journal has already been recommended. I really don't get it!
So, wait.

I'm not exactly clear on how this sort of thing works, but are you asking for us to participate in a grassroots-style campaign to have your comic prominently featured on Gaia in an official capacity? Like the minicomic, or those movies they produce every one in a while? Because that's what I'm gathering from your post.

You comic is technically accomplished, and would probably look even better toned or in color. But Gaia already has official artists on the payroll, and official storylines. They didn't ask for your interpretation of their characters and/or setting. I don't really see how they owe you a place of prominence, despite the level of polish your work has or your dedication. It's still essentially fanfiction.

I know of an author who's written over five hundred pages of Legend of Zelda fanfiction over the course of several years. That doesn't qualify her for recognition by Nintendo, or the conduction of her fanfiction into canon.

If you're interested in working for Gaia officially, you might be better off inquiring about where to send a portfolio than making fanfiction and expecting the higher-ups to notice.
gaia is STUPID if they dont hire bella
The way that you don't close the lines of the characters' mouths occasionally doesn't really work, especially with the guy in the first panel. It'd work better if you drew in a bit more of the bottom of his mouth, but as it is it looks very odd- like his tongue, bottom lip, and chin have all merged into a single mighty facial protrusion.

Also, it looks like you're using Comic Sans as your font. Comic Sans has a very bad reputation, so finding another font to use can make a comic look a lot more professional.

I do like how clean your inking is, and the fact that unlike 90% of people who post here you are capable of drawing hands.
If Gaia is planning on keeping their comics as professional as possible, it's in their best interest to make sure they keep a tight rein on their storylines, which means not just letting everyone do what they want. (Edit: My apologies. It looks like you stopped doing the comic right to left at some point.)

That said, I definitely note improvement from the beginning. I would put together a portfolio, like an earlier poster suggested.
I always thought you were featured, since the first time I saw your journal.
Try PM'ing a few more mods maybe?
I'll try hitting the recommend button as often as possible. 3nodding

Friendly Gaian

12,700 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • Happy Birthday! 100
DarthVersace
So, wait.

I'm not exactly clear on how this sort of thing works, but are you asking for us to participate in a grassroots-style campaign to have your comic prominently featured on Gaia in an official capacity? Like the minicomic, or those movies they produce every one in a while? Because that's what I'm gathering from your post.

You comic is technically accomplished, and would probably look even better toned or in color. But Gaia already has official artists on the payroll, and official storylines. They didn't ask for your interpretation of their characters and/or setting. I don't really see how they owe you a place of prominence, despite the level of polish your work has or your dedication. It's still essentially fanfiction.

I know of an author who's written over five hundred pages of Legend of Zelda fanfiction over the course of several years. That doesn't qualify her for recognition by Nintendo, or the conduction of her fanfiction into canon.

If you're interested in working for Gaia officially, you might be better off inquiring about where to send a portfolio than making fanfiction and expecting the higher-ups to notice.

No, no. FEATURED... since it's in a journal I would like to know if it's worthy to be in a featured Journal section.

Friendly Gaian

12,700 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • Happy Birthday! 100
Tfear High Command
The way that you don't close the lines of the characters' mouths occasionally doesn't really work, especially with the guy in the first panel. It'd work better if you drew in a bit more of the bottom of his mouth, but as it is it looks very odd- like his tongue, bottom lip, and chin have all merged into a single mighty facial protrusion.

Also, it looks like you're using Comic Sans as your font. Comic Sans has a very bad reputation, so finding another font to use can make a comic look a lot more professional.

I do like how clean your inking is, and the fact that unlike 90% of people who post here you are capable of drawing hands.

That's a manga style tick. If you pick up any manga... there will always be unfinished or undefined mouths. I don't think I own one that always has all the lines closed.

As for comic sans, the reason was because my PC bugs out on a constant basis and my fonts generally go out the door. So, to be sure that no matter what ugly technical difficulty I have to go though, I'll be able to have the basics fonts and post up my new page every week. I'm trying to change the reputation of comic sans simply because I've always hated any fonts that are all caps for speech and that aren't rounded... and I don't have many of those in my library.

I don't really care about the appearance of the lack of professionalism... this is not a professional comic. I'm doing this for fun. That's why I don't even bother toning.

Friendly Gaian

12,700 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • Happy Birthday! 100
Jade Ryuko
If Gaia is planning on keeping their comics as professional as possible, it's in their best interest to make sure they keep a tight rein on their storylines, which means not just letting everyone do what they want. (Edit: My apologies. It looks like you stopped doing the comic right to left at some point.)

That said, I definitely note improvement from the beginning. I would put together a portfolio, like an earlier poster suggested.

yeah, don't want to be part of the professional crew. stare
(I don't even know why people would think that... I'm not really good enough anyways. >_> )

Friendly Gaian

12,700 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • Happy Birthday! 100
I hope my edit makes people understand. >_>

Friendly Gaian

12,700 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • Happy Birthday! 100
Is anyone here?