Welcome to Gaia! ::

First off, if Im in the wrong area I'm sorry PLEASE tell me where to put this.

Well I'm starting a comic, I don't know if I'll turn it into a webcomic or anythng of the sort. And I'm a horrible artist, in my eyes. Some people are better, some are worse. Here are the first three pages. I tested out coloring on the second page, and I don't know if I like it or not.

Page one

Page two

Page three

As you can see, I;m not very good. I was hoping for friendly suggestions on how to improve myself more ^^*
Wow. Beginners don't come much more raw than you.

You need to pull back and get down to the basics. The very, very basic basics. You're not even ready to tackle anatomy, perspective, light/shadow or drapery, which is what I usually suggest others work on; You need to get down basic forms.

Go here and download "Fun with a Pencil." It's best book out there for beginners.

And a word of advice: Drop the furry characters and learn to draw humans. Furry art can be a nasty crutch and convenient excuse to avoid learning to draw people, because the human eye is a lot more demanding and critical of depictions of human faces than made-up animal ones. You can go back to wolf and dog people once you learn to depict a satisfactory human face.
Well thanks. And I dont WANT to draw humans. Thats the thing. I despise the human face and how it works. I enjoy the furry race. It isnt a crutch, its just how I feel. But thank you for the advise. Oh, bythe way. The way you "help" seems very insulting, itd be a lie to say my feelings arent hurt by how harshly you spoke. You might want to tone down on it a bit, ive seen MUCH worse than myself before. thanks.
Rapid Injection
Well thanks. And I dont WANT to draw humans. Thats the thing. I despise the human face and how it works. I enjoy the furry race. It isnt a crutch, its just how I feel.

Good luck sucking forever.
Spike is basically right, though. You have a long way to go, and while you obviously shouldn't give up, you should have a realistic view of how much work you need to put into improving your style.

Even if your ultimate goal is to draw anthropomorphic furry things, there's a reason that anthro is in there. If you want your readers, who are presumably human, to be able to relate to your characters, and understanding of how the human face works will be invaluable for portraying human emotions in your bizarre, bipedal fox things. Not liking something isn't a good reason to not learn how to draw it.
Rapid Injection
Well thanks. And I dont WANT to draw humans. Thats the thing. I despise the human face and how it works. I enjoy the furry race. It isnt a crutch, its just how I feel. But thank you for the advise. Oh, bythe way. The way you "help" seems very insulting, itd be a lie to say my feelings arent hurt by how harshly you spoke. You might want to tone down on it a bit, ive seen MUCH worse than myself before. thanks.
Wow, You dont handle criticism very well.

You are not good, you are not even close to almost getting there. You are a bad artist.

Versace is a good artist, she has a running comic up, she knows what she is talking about.

Furry drawings look bad and are not a good thing to start out on. You should do what Picasso said
"You must learn the rules to break them"

But regardless, you dont have the temperment to be an artist if you cannot handle such criticism. Just wait until someone you show says "Wow, that sucks" and gives you no reasons.
Rapid Injection

If you preferred kindness to honesty and affirmation to assistance, you should have said as much in your first post. It would have saved me the trouble of hunting down that link.

You called yourself a "horrible artist." Were you expecting me to loudly disagree and buoy you up with pom-pom cheers and pats on the back? I'm sorry, that's not really what I do. I'm sure someone else will be along soon to tell you you're perfect and to never change a thing, though. Keep refreshing until then.
lol shut up guys those comics ROKK dont eveer stop drawing okay>??
Have you ever considered drawing cats? I think they are more aesthetically pleasing than foxes.
If you think DarthVersace was harsh, just wait and see what I have to say...

First off, it's not very appealing to begin your comic with the death scene of the main character. I know they did that in movies like "The Crow" and such, but they showed at least a little of the character's life beforehand. Not to mention, the very very first word to be read is not only a swear word, but a rather foul one at that. You can really turn off a reader by doing such.
Again, you need a great deal of improvement on your skills. As they suggested before, it is a rather smart move to learn how to draw people, even if you don't want to draw them. I have this problem myself in that I don't favor drawing realism, but it's necessary to learn in order to improve in my personal style. And trust me, it helps. Heck, even the artists of Disney study and draw the real animals before drawings the cartoon versions of them.
Your layout of the comic is sloppy. I can't word it any other way. You took up two whole pages with one image when you could have described the events in a lot more detail in the same number of pages. The pages actually done in panels are too simplified and, again, sloppy. If you can't draw a straight line, then a ruler is your friend. The depicted scenes within the panels are all mashed together and look very unorganized. Try lightly sketching stick figures into the boxes to fit before actually drawing them in. If the boxes are too small, draw them bigger. Panels don't have to be perfectly square.
Inking in your lines will make the characters show up a lot more, and it will make the images look a lot cleaner. Just make sure to erase the pencil lines before coloring them in. I highly highly recommend staying away from the use of crayons to color the images. Crayons bad unless you have the uber talent of doom in the use of crayons (Such people exist and are hard to find). Color pencils are good, or CGing if possible.
Find a book on anatomy and study it. There are anthro anatomy books out there, and if you can't find those, use human ones. It's easy to configure.
Blood is a liquid, not a solid mass of goop. If you're going to draw a bloody character, then make it believable. A hole in somebody's head isn't going to look like a hole in a glass pane. My suggestion is look up injuries, they'll give you an idea on how to draw them and the blood that comes with them.
Learn to draw scenery. Period. Look up photos or books.
What the heck is he/she doing in the third panel?
Your speech bubbles look like that of your panels; crammed and sloppy. Circular panels work wonders. And propper grammar also works wonders.
Do not leave that giant hideous empty space at he bottom of the page. Find a way to fill it. Add another panel or something. Putting spaces between your panels can help that.

And I think that's about it.
Have a nice day.
There is nothing I want to say which has not already been said but this point about anthro comics.

People relate to what looks like them. Even if you drastically change the faces, learn some sort of way to make them look human. Otherwise, you risk the reader not connecting with the characters, and the reader thinking that you use furries as a crutch because you cannot draw humans.

I'm not saying to change completely, or to draw humans.

Just please, please study human anatomy. Even if you don't consciously use it, it'll come through in your art just a little. And study animal anatomy, too, so that you can come up with a realistic blend of the two.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff