Welcome to Gaia! ::

Don't you wish your Game windows were bigger?

Of course! I can't see the stuff in those tiny windows! 0.61111111111111 61.1% [ 33 ]
Nah, they fill my screen just right already… 0.092592592592593 9.3% [ 5 ]
I just want my GOLD to get bigger! 0.2962962962963 29.6% [ 16 ]
Total Votes:[ 54 ]
< 1 2 3 >

1.0pre4 is up! heart

I'm about out of things to implement. So, if no one has any suggestions or problems, this will likely turn into 1.0 final tomorrow!

What does that mean? It means that this thing is pretty rock-solid for me. There are a couple of minor issues that you have to work hard to trigger, but even then nothing bad happens. (Well, aside from a scary dialog box. But you ought to be expecting it if you go through the convoluted path to get it!) So, I may or may not make any more changes to the code until I get feedback. I've invested a great many hours into this now and I really would like to get back to wasting time on Gaia! lol

Oh, and Windows users? I've not forgotten about you! biggrin As I stated earlier, once 1.0 is released, I'll start working on the Windows version. I may not be able to use the code directly on Windows, but that doesn't mean that I can't use it indirectly! wink

So, download the launcher in the first post! Test it! See if you can break it! Let me know if you do or not! Email, PM, post to this thread! Just let me know there are more people using it than I can count on one hand! crying

1,850 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Signature Look 250
wahmbulance wahmbulance wahmbulance wahmbulance wahmbulance burning_eyes burning_eyes burning_eyes wahmbulance wahmbulance wahmbulance wahmbulance wahmbulance wahmbulance emo emo emo dramallama dramallama dramallama dramallama dramallama domokun domokun domokun burning_eyes burning_eyes burning_eyes burning_eyes burning_eyes burning_eyes burning_eyes cheese_whine cheese_whine cheese_whine cheese_whine neutral neutral neutral mrgreen mrgreen mrgreen mrgreen mrgreen mrgreen mrgreen mrgreen mrgreen mrgreen mrgreen mrgreen mrgreen mrgreen mrgreen mrgreen mrgreen mrgreen mrgreen mrgreen mrgreen mrgreen mrgreen mrgreen mrgreen neutral neutral neutral heart heart
bump yo page! haha
has anyone else started using this? Im curious to hear how its working for you.....
I get the feeling that, besides me, you're the biggest user still… I did get feedback that it looks "complicated to install", so I'll be looking into changing where it's hosted soon. (I hope!) And no, it won't be some server at home; I don't have the bandwidth to support that right now! eek

Have you tried 1.0pre4 yet? I started having problems with some of the games a few hours ago, but they work fine from within Gaia itself… I'm suspicious that they changed something (why shouldn't they since it's all undocumented! lol ), but it may just be my net connection acting wonky!

At least the frequent updates (sorry, none planned for today, folks!) and the bumpbots are keeping this on the first page! blaugh

Misleading Architect

35,475 Points
  • Their Undying Love 500
  • Attending the Ball 25
  • Ian's Valentine 100
I was wondering about the progress on the Windows version... also, yu might want to aks Lanzer abut your program at the next ask-the-admin. At the least you can see if he approves, and at best he might even want to integrate this funtionality into Gaia itslef.
nobody click that ad for the guild!! it is a scam for your password.
Purplesnoopy
I was wondering about the progress on the Windows version... also, yu might want to aks Lanzer abut your program at the next ask-the-admin. At the least you can see if he approves, and at best he might even want to integrate this funtionality into Gaia itslef.

Heh, the app will immediately be out-dated the second they implement automatic window scaling to the games. It wouldn't be that difficult to do, and it would be better than having a separate app.

But, I'm making the best of things. So, a separate app it is! I'm looking to finalize 1.0 for the Mac today and then start on the Windows version (maybe not till tomorrow, though!). So, there should be a pre1 version for Windows out by the end of the weekend, definitely!

I actually have a long list of things I'd love to know from Lanzer (or any admin). I asked about 2 of them at this week's Ask an Admin, but got no response. I'm going to put off asking about this little project until I have a Windows version up, as I suspect that there are few Macs in the Gaia office. (My offer to show them the source still stands, regardless.)

I honestly can't think of any reason that there'd be disapproval. It's really just a glorified web browser with custom interface. But "official blessing" is always a plus! And who knows, maybe they'll advertise it a bit, even! biggrin

Oh, and don't expect the Windows version to be totally complete overnight, just because the Mac version will be done. crying I don't get the benefit of the same languages on Windows, so I'll be rewriting from scratch. Note that it'll be about 80 hours of coding for the Mac version to reach 1.0, so I suspect something approximately similar for Windows to reach full completion. Maybe a slight bit less since I'll be able to "re-use" concepts, if not code. Maybe a slight bit more since I hope that Windows users will provide more feedback. wink

Also, in IM, someone asked me why I'm not using something like Adobe AIR to do this. A very good question, indeed! The biggest problem with AIR is that it's still in beta, meaning I may have to do a complete rewrite a couple times before its final release. Nevermind that people would first have to be directed on how to download and install AIR before they could install my app. That latter concern is common to most truly cross-platform solutions that can use the OS's "included" browser's cookie jar. So, the really leaves me to a totally custom solution which includes a mini-version of Safari on the Mac and IE on Windows. I'm not even thinking of the Unixy platforms yet!

Oh, and finally, since I'm sure the question will arise: Why am I intent on using the platform's browser? Well, simple. You know that you've logged on to Gaia's site that way, as opposed to sticking your password into a dialog box presented by some other app. (NEVER EVER DO THAT!) There's nothing to keep one from making an app like this and modifying the Gaia home page so that it captures your username and password and passes them off elsewhere.

Since I realize the dangers of not knowing for sure where you're logging into, and who's "watching", the only real solution is for you to log in normally and for me to use the existing browser login (which doesn't include the password, by the way!) to play the games.

The only real drawback, to some, is that you have to have "Remember me" checked. But, nothing is stopping you from clicking "Logout" when you're done playing! Version 1.0 for the Mac is going to make that easier, with the inclusion of a "Go to Gaia" button. This button will simply open your default browser to the Gaia home page. (Feedback as to whether I should specifically open Safari on the Mac and IE on Windows is appreciated!)

Wow. I came up with another wall of text! Sorry about that! I'll get back to coding now! lol

the-holyred
nobody click that ad for the guild!! it is a scam for your password.

Um, I see no ads. I think you're hallucinating over there…
Just under the wire! blaugh 1.0 is up! It should be rock-solid and happy! Poke at it, try to kill it! MUAHAHAHA! Oh, and if you do, please let me know so I can fix it. redface But it won't be easy!

As always, see the first page for download links, known issues, and change information!

Enjoy, Mac users! Windows users, I'm coming for you next! twisted lol My plan is still to have the first pre-release out by the end of the weekend.

*EDIT: New hosting procured*
OK, I know that it's well past the weekend. sad I'm sorry Windows users.

Problem is this: It's harder to develop for Windows. Especially when you're trying to use the "standard" components. On a Mac, you pretty much tell it "I need a WebView", and it just works. On Windows, you fight with embedding IE. And you've got to make sure you do it right! There are differences between even the same version of IE, depending on which security updates are installed.

All that is on top of figuring out which programming language will give the best combination of: download speed (Mac users only have to download a 64KB file); execution speed; ease of development and updates. Then, if you choose a relatively common compiled language, you've gotta decide which compiler to use and ensure that you stick with its special rules.

So, I've had some false starts. But I've learnt lots of ways not to do what I want to do! That really narrows the possibilities. wink And, most unfortunately, the language I wanted to write it in caused me to fail the first part of the "magic combination". The "stub" or "launcher which makes things go" is 2 megabytes on its own. That's with no program attached! Otherwise, it would have been perfectly suited.

And, on the plus side, my latest start on the Windows version is quite promising. It's not at a stage, yet, where it's actually *useful* for anything. So, I'm not going to even speculate on a release date right now. "When it's ready." I know that by saying "Friday afternoon", I'll end up jinxing myself and discover an insurmountable problem on Friday morning. crying

And, to keep myself from going totally insane, I've set up a new site. At the moment, it's practically devoted to the Gaia Games Launcher. But, I hope that to change in the future. Right now, one of the biggest benefits is that I'm more likely to post things there than here regarding development, as this isn't really the place for that.

I'd like to see this thread become a user-thread. In other words, I want to see you guys talking here, not me! wink

And, if you want to be the first on your block to know about a new release, subscribe to my RSS feed! biggrin It should be autodiscovered by your browser when you visit my site. (Click the icon in your address bar.) If it's not, look at the bottom of the sidebar for a link.

Oh! And I almost forgot (again!)! On the first, I updated the Mac version to 1.0.1. But I forgot to update this thread. sad That has been rectified. And the new version is on the new site. Which means no more clicking a bazillionty times to download it! YAY!
Sorry for the quietness on my front lately… I'm still working on the Windows version. I could b***h and moan for hours about the funkiness of doing something like this on Windows where it works on more than one Windows version.

In fact, I've done a bit on the gaia@iamcode site. If you're wondering the current status of the thing, that's always a great place to start. biggrin (Of course, expect the rants to be a bit more technical than may be appropriate for a thread like this!)

I really am hoping to overcome my problems soon and offer everyone a nice Christmas present! wink

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff