Who cares? 0.2236746550472 22.4% [ 308 ]
FRENCH CAST ALBUM NEED 0.22585330428468 22.6% [ 311 ]
Total Votes:[ 1377 ]

Shadowy Singing

26,140 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Window Shopper 100
I'm not so sure about that mask ... Give me a while it might grow on me.

O____O That you'll explain why Hugh doesn't seem to age.

ELA!!!!
Now I'm realllllly iffy about going - though some of what you said makes me all the more curious! XD

Obsessive Kitten

Ela! Glad to see you, darling! And hook me up with your Tumblr.

I'm agreeing with Silvy, now I'm curious. And Gaston!Erik. I don't know whether to laugh or cry while laughing. The parodies are endless with that one now. Though I guess one thing's for certain now: this will be an interesting spectacle.

Shadowy Singing

26,140 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Window Shopper 100
Oh my gosh! You just reminded me!

In the movie version of BATB the voice of Gaston was Richard White who played Erik in the Y/K version of phantom!!!
I mean, I'd say it's worth it just for the "omfg Phantom is back" factor.

YES OMFG. Have you seen the PhantomReviews video about Y/K? He dubs some of Erik's dialogue with Gaston and it's freakin' hilarious!

Oh. Also. I got Tom Alonso's compleeeeeeeeete SCOOOOOOOOOORE!!!!!! If I get Tom's permission, I'm going to post all the lyrics on a specialized Tumblr.

And of course my tumblr is elanchana.tumblr.com

Shadowy Singing

26,140 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Window Shopper 100
How did you get all of the score to Tom Alonso?!?!?
He sent me some sheet music and a CD way back in '07 - when I was trying to be bold. That would be so amazing to finally know what they're singing in half the song! XD

Yes, I'll more than likely go see it - as it comes for my birthday. I've got a group of people ready to go see it with me too. Even if it's the tour. I've seen it on Broadway (which will happen many times again later on). Meh.
It was an impulsive decision, really. After spending years as his Facebook friend and following one of his daughters on Tumblr, I asked for a few more songs from Phantom. He said "I'll be happy to send you any and all that you want" and in a burst of phangirling I said "Did you just say ALL?"

The rest ended up here.

Speaking of Broadway, my family is officially going to New York for spring break so I'll be able to catch the REAL ALW again! *crosses fingers for Hugh Panaro or Jeremy Stolle*

Shadowy Singing

26,140 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Window Shopper 100
Ela I just phangirled really hard there when I clicked that link!!
He sent me sheet music for "Father's Angel", "Leaving for the world", "Something in the Sea", and (my personal favorite to play because the music is AWESOME!) "The Love You Never Had".
It would be awesome to get the rest of the sheet music for his show . . .

And you get to go for spring break! Yay! You should see the show twice - that way you have more of a chance of seeing Hugh and Jeremy (who I mistook for Hugh my first time up there. XD #iwasanewbietostagedoors
Ooh, those were the ones he sent me too! (Along with TTWIDAH). I play TLYNH all the time too, but I made up my own arrangement before I got the music from Tom, so that's what I play. It's not that different - it mostly has just different voicing sometimes and a few countermelodies played by different instruments on the recording. But having the whole score is friggin' awesome. I sent my choir director the prologue because of that awesome a capella chorale. And there's a guy in my studio who I think will sound awesome on Skin Deep. Now I can get the music to him..........

I didn't really have a problem when I stagedoored Hugh, just because I knew he would come out about 20 minutes after everyone else. (Which is why I had a problem with David Shannon...) And OMFE he was such a sweetie. I even had a little conversation with him about Susan Kay's book and Sasha. And now Tumblr user wanderingchild has got me fixated on wanting to meet Jeremy Stolle, 'cause he seems like an awesome guy. Ah, if only I could go twice, but we're only there for half a week on a pretty tight schedule and my parents would NOT pay for it. I think I'm lucky they're letting me go once.

Shadowy Singing

26,140 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Window Shopper 100
Wait, what's TTWIDAH? (Me and acronyms don't go well.) Man, I wish I could write music. I play piano, but I can't for the life of me memorize music (well, a little, but it's hard) or write my own (which bites because I love deviations of music. They are so much more fun to play!)

Really? Maybe that's why I haven't seen Hugh the last two times. The first time we were in a rush to get go because we were staying with friends and they had to pick us up. The second was the Anniversary - where I think he left out the front door. Huh - I did meet Jeremy both times though. He was really nice - especially when I mistook him for Hugh.
That's The Way It's Done Around Here.

Ah, that makes sense. It's a true test to wait for the Erik actor. I AM SO JEALOUS THAT YOU SAW THE ANNIVERSARY SHOW OMFE. The last two Broadway Phantoms I saw, Hugh was out and I got Paul Schaefer (okay) and James Romick (poor). Hugh got sick right before I came to New York and recovered right after I left. Worst timing ever Y/Y

Have you seen this video? It's frickin' hilarious. "Am I fonder of dolls? Or of galls? Or shawls?"

Obsessive Kitten

So it's Mardi Gras time around here in Louisiana and today I went to one of the smaller parades because a friend was in it. Turned out the theme for several of the floats was "Phantom of the Bayou". They had half masks painted on their faces and inflatable alligators with half masks on. I tried taking a picture with my phone but they rolled by too quick.

10,300 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Wall Street 200
  • Citizen 200
Oh wow, what luck! That's pretty goofy too.

Also found some PotO eye makeup.
/r/makeupaddiction post.

Shadowy Singing

26,140 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Window Shopper 100
Ela - Ahhh. That one. Heh - I love how the managers make fun of Carlotta based on the note though. Heh. And that video! rofl rofl

Ah yes, I'm the sneaky lucky ingenue that got to see it last minutes. :3 I saw Ramin and John Owen-Jones walk past me barely five feet away! But their bodyguards were rushing them so not many people got autographs. However in the lobby I did spy (overhear a woman really talking to) Davis Gaines. He was sooooo nice! Got his autograph and a picture with my friend. :3

Mardi Gras time again? Wow. That was a fast year.

Obsessive Kitten

So I was browsing Tumblr and came across an interesting observation.

Quote:

I was thinking last night about the differences between ALW and Leroux Erik, their characters and motivations. Usually the big defining difference I think of between these two is that, IMO, Leroux Erik wanted to be normal, while what ALW Erik wanted was more to be supernormal (that is, *exceptional*, not just like ‘extra normal’ razz ). But while I was trying to fall asleep this thought dropped into my mind, and really resonated with me:

• ALW Erik wanted to bring Christine into his darkness.
• Leroux Erik wanted Christine to bring him into the light.

Although they both wanted Christine to ‘save me from my solitude’, I think their underlying motivations were nearly reversed. (Just as a quick and obvious example, ALW Erik does his best to draw Christine into his music, while Leroux Erik actually declines to let her hear it when she asks to.)

I do think that this is still a component that ties into the previously-mentioned distinction of normal vs. supernormal, but I liked it enough as its own independent thought to feel like posting it.

I thought it could be something to discuss.

Shadowy Singing

26,140 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Window Shopper 100
Art - I'm not even coherent enough right now to converse on that.

Though it does stand to reason. Anyone who's ever read the book knows that all Erik wanted was to live above ground - to have a normal life - and a wife to go walking with him on Sunday's. So, it stands to reason that Christine was there to bring him out of the darkness (i.e. his Don Juan, which was all the darkness of his life) and into the world of the living people he so longed to be with.

As much as I love the ALW (well, the Broadway, with Hugh because everything else is going down hill fast) - and I love the fact that people know about it now, it's just not Leroux. It's a good adaptation of the novel for a 2 1/2 musical, which - let's face it - doesn't leave much room for character growth or anything, unless they were really trying. It's a great way to introduce people to the life of Erik - then letting them read Leroux and find out who he really was and what he really wanted in the end. Much of that is lost - though some of the lines in the musical hint at the novel. (Buquet and the whole description of Erik, some of the Giry lines, etc.)

Ok. Fine. I lied. I guess I was kinda coherent enough. (Maybe it's because my laptop finally got fixed after 2 weeks of no screen and my fingers are literally flying over the keyboard.)

Oh, and did you see the Closing Ceremony for the Olympics? Because they totally referenced "The Phantom of the Opera" during the ballet sequence - mainly because of the ginormous chandelier they were using. (I was going to make a comment to my parents about that, then decided not to. Then the announced blatently stated it looked like something from Phantom. Needless to say - it truly made my night!)

*runsaway*

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces