Welcome to Gaia! ::

Hello GCD place, I'm here to ask you questions about perceptions. Why you may judge a person by their username, their avatar, or whatever else.

Now you all don't know me (or do you?)
but when you see a user dressed in a certain way, you think certain things about them, dontcha?
If they have a provokative (or gross) username, you think something else about them, amIrite?

Buuuut what if it's not true.
Are assumptions about people based on their avi's dress or name fair?
So GCD place, tell me what you think.
And if you are good and discuss this, I might give you a treat...

Awwww...GCD want a cookie?
i do make assumptions

like you
this is the first time i've seen you

so i think you're a little badass
sdflkjs

but not in a bad way

oat milk's Darling

A Knife

It's the same as judging a person IRL. Obviously their clothes must have something to do with their personality, so there it a bit you can judge about that to get an initial impression. But to actually know what a person's like you have to talk to them.

Same with usernames on Gaia, it has to have something to do with their personality, but you can't really know what until you talk to a person.

<3
I try not to judge people... too many people here judge people on the slightest little thing, It's really not fair.... yet it's the way it goes...

"prommie this, and prommie that"... if you stick around, you'll see it.

Omnipresent Loiterer

I don't judge on avatar about personality. Sometimes I can tell age, though. And with age comes maturity...

Fluffy Millionaire

10,525 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200
I thought Trouble was spelled right until you directed to your name, overall I thought you were a ploy since your avatar was to "fashioned" to be a newb. That aside truly a person can't be defined by how they look or named but for their personality is what counts.
(|__/)
(+'.'+)
(" wink _(" wink KisamexItachi <3

It means that people imagine me as a winged popsicle? ._.
(|__/)
(+'.'+)
I want candeh :3 (" wink _(" wink
That would be silly to judge someone by that. Anyone who thinks that must have some serious mental issues or something. Unless they know them in real life or something like that.
Angelus Domini
I thought Trouble was spelled right until you directed to your name, overall I thought you were a ploy since your avatar was to "fashioned" to be a newb. That aside truly a person can't be defined by how they look or named but for their personality is what counts.

just thought it looked better this way.

Beloved Ladykiller

12,450 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Love Machine 150
  • Object of Affection 150
Assumptions rock. =D
What am I supposed to do? First look at the person and then think nothing about them until I go onto an hour-long conversation with them? First assumptions and judgments are natural, they are a way for us to remember the person when we see them again. Making first judgments are okay, even if they are wrong. What is wrong is if you stick to that first judgment, and never take action to change it or get to know the person better. I make first judgments all the time, but I don't stick to them. After I get to know the person better, my judgment changes according to what I learned about that person.
I try not to judge people on there username or avatar... although its difficult to not feel a bit negative about someone called "cutiehotiegurl1346902". Other than that i don't judge people unless i've know them for a while, it seems unfair otherwise.
Miso Kunisaki
Assumptions rock. =D
but do they really?

Lots of assumptions can cause people grief.
Pompetti
What am I supposed to do? First look at the person and then think nothing about them until I go onto an hour-long conversation with them? First assumptions and judgments are natural, they are a way for us to remember the person when we see them again. Making first judgments are okay, even if they are wrong. What is wrong is if you stick to that first judgment, and never take action to change it or get to know the person better. I make first judgments all the time, but I don't stick to them. After I get to know the person better, my judgment changes according to what I learned about that person.
I suppose. I find it ironic though... because what if someone were to like THIS me, and find out that they really hate the MAIN me?

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff