Welcome to Gaia! ::

Coronavirus brought it back...

Poll Pimps = TEH SEX 0.31914893617021 31.9% [ 30 ]
GGW XI Playoffs 0.085106382978723 8.5% [ 8 ]
Due AUGUST 15 0.12765957446809 12.8% [ 12 ]
PROMPT ROUND 0.17021276595745 17.0% [ 16 ]
Woot panda! 0.29787234042553 29.8% [ 28 ]
Total Votes:[ 94 ]

We actually have a handful of entries now, so round closed! April is here.
Hello friends.

So I do overnight shifts now. And, funnily, work blocks Facebook but not this site. So here I am. And around I'll be.

heart

Happy NaPoWriMo, btw. It's what made me think of y'all.
Well howdy, Aph.
l'm kind of surprised you're still here doing this. Pleasantly surprised, but still. I feel like it has been so dead in here... I was just in the OP/L and there are threads on the first page from weeks ago.

Anyway, enough about me. How have you been?
I've been well, and given the state of affairs around here, there's no telling how long it'll remain. I'd like to keep things going, but if there are no entries coming in - then it's hard to justify spending money on a prism only a couple fight to get.

Winter Warrior

9,475 Points
  • Rat Conqueror 500
  • Lightbulb 150
  • Winter Guardian 250
I get to judge April, and April is my birthday month, so I hope I get a lot of fantastic entries as birthday presents. Oh, and since it's nano, I'm kind of hoping for an awful lot of poetry, but I won't be mad if people decide to submit prose, instead. biggrin

I want to be BUSY ripping you all to shreds constructively bashing you, come the first of May. (Okay, please don't take my threats seriously. I'm blunt and opinionated, but I'm not a monster. I'm just trying to get your rabid competitive juices flowing)!!

- - - - -

An update on my latest news:
Bad: I got fired from that cushy writing job (a few months before the novel would have been completed) even though I haven't done anything wrong. So that's nine months or more down the drain. I can't really go into a lot of details in case I end up having to pursue a fight about it later, but for now it looks like I'm getting nothing for time spent.

It sucks, and I'm bitter, but I'm moving on.

Good: Wedding preparations are going great and I only have a few last-minute things to tie up before May 17th. Also, we have another baby on the way! I /should/ get to find out the gender April 16th, so that's exciting. biggrin Cross your fingers for me everyone that it's a girl so I don't ever have to have another one. lol

- - - - -

I'm not sure what to do about the participation here. I know everyone talked about some things to do to get more participants at some point, but we didn't really manage to get things picked up. It would be nice to have a huge group of hopefuls come GGW time.

Dangerous Enabler

Sucks about the job, VOC, but yay for wedding and baby!

And I know it's been sort of batted around before, but what about expanding it to Dreamwidth or Tumblr or something? It'd be building a community again mostly from scratch, which would be kind of awful, and we'd have to change how submissions worked so that they'd still be readable for everyone no matter what platform they were using (require public google docs, and post links?).

Idk, I just know that this thread and changing my avatar are the only reason I ever come on this site anymore.

Also, Wing and anyone else who's done grad school: I'm very seriously considering applying for the Madison Sociology PhD program. I finish my BS in Liberal Studies next spring, and I'll probably be able to get in, but: grad school in general: excellent? maddening? horrifyingly filled with dealing with undergrads?

Winter Warrior

9,475 Points
  • Rat Conqueror 500
  • Lightbulb 150
  • Winter Guardian 250
phantomkitsune
Sucks about the job, VOC, but yay for wedding and baby!

And I know it's been sort of batted around before, but what about expanding it to Dreamwidth or Tumblr or something? It'd be building a community again mostly from scratch, which would be kind of awful, and we'd have to change how submissions worked so that they'd still be readable for everyone no matter what platform they were using (require public google docs, and post links?).

Idk, I just know that this thread and changing my avatar are the only reason I ever come on this site anymore.

Also, Wing and anyone else who's done grad school: I'm very seriously considering applying for the Madison Sociology PhD program. I finish my BS in Liberal Studies next spring, and I'll probably be able to get in, but: grad school in general: excellent? maddening? horrifyingly filled with dealing with undergrads?

Yes, thank you biggrin

By batted around you mean Wing smashed it out of the park with a fiery fist. lol He doesn't particularly want to move the contest, or at least he didn't last time I checked. I don't know if he's changed his mind about that.

I think that promoting the contest on sites like that might help in terms of bringing more people to us, though. Maybe make a post about it on your tumblr thingy? I'm like... social media retarded, so while I own a tumblr and a couple other social-type thingies, I primarily used them to promote my Bubblews posts. Except when creating said random accounts, I never actually logged on to the sites themselves. ><

I might get on there and give it a real try. I need to start promoting myself more as a writer, and I know that social media is the way to go these days.... but BLAH. I'm socially awkward, no matter how well I might be able to hide it. hah.

I can't help you with the whole grad school thing. Sorry. XD

- - - - -

If anyone is interested, I decided to participate in nano last night, for like, the first time ever, and since I haven't been in the swing of things for a while I'd like feedback on the spillage that came out of my brain.

You can find what will be the first collective I've ever attempted Here

Dangerous Enabler

Yeah, I might do a post about it.

And social media is fun! It's a fair portion of my job to promote small businesses, which isn't that different from personal branding. Probably the only really important piece of advice is that community is important, and not making it 100% advertising space is part of that.
sure i'll do a poem or few this month, maybe there will be one good enough to submit.

I'm not a fan of Tumblr. It reminds me of reddit, but for the "underprivileged" instead of just "nerds" both of which can apply to everyone, but it's important to note how those labels affect the scope of interactions.

Basically I don't like circlejerks. Which makes it kind of ironic I'm back here, I guess.
Grad school is great.

Winter Warrior

9,475 Points
  • Rat Conqueror 500
  • Lightbulb 150
  • Winter Guardian 250
Aphrodite f l y t r a p
sure i'll do a poem or few this month, maybe there will be one good enough to submit.

I'm not a fan of Tumblr. It reminds me of reddit, but for the "underprivileged" instead of just "nerds" both of which can apply to everyone, but it's important to note how those labels affect the scope of interactions.

Basically I don't like circlejerks. Which makes it kind of ironic I'm back here, I guess.

I'm only up for a circle jerk if you're at the center of it ;D
Oh God, I'm naughty.

PK: But community-ness is hard work -mumblegrumblegrumble-

Roy Alexis's Queen

No Sex Symbol

18,800 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Partygoer 500
Aww! Congrats on the baby, VOC.
heart

Winter Warrior

9,475 Points
  • Rat Conqueror 500
  • Lightbulb 150
  • Winter Guardian 250
Yutora
Aww! Congrats on the baby, VOC.
heart

Thank you! xd
I am excited for the 16th because we should -crosses fingers- get to find out gender.

Enthusiastic Member

4,125 Points
  • Converting 1 item 100
  • Converting 100 items 100
  • Gaian 50
When the plagiarism checking for the March entries is done, can I post my entry on other sites?
Not for other contests, but simply because I would like for others to read my stories (on Wattpad).

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff