• Mark Twain 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Megathread 100
TheVoiceOfCreation
The Solarised Night
Holy Balls! Wing changed outfit.
That is all.

IT'S THE APOCALYPSE!
his icon in my friends list never changes. It was spooky.

O.G. Elder

That is ******** weird.

Also, my entry keeps growing. I think I accidentally started writing a novel again. I need to find a good cut-off point to submit.

O.G. Elder

So this is the culmination of much of my recent work which has focused on becoming proficient in the crime genre and I fear I've gone quite overboard. However, the serial is a stand-by of the genre and accidentally or no I'm pretty pleased with creating one.

I think it could use a few more revisions, but there's no time right now and I'm damn pleased with what I've got right here.

Quote:

Howard Fletcher in
Death Rode to the Whiskey Rose

The flash of camera lights and the shouts and the sirens and the chaos of the crowds outside all intruded through my eyes and ears into my currently delicate brain-case. My head throbbed and I stumbled to my feet. I remember the night; the jazz and the booze and the beautiful women.

Now my brand new white shirt was soaked in blood. So was everything else in my sight and those pretty girls were all dead and artfully arranged around the saloon in a hideous caricature of the nightly operations, with the less than legal endeavors front and center where they usually hid behind the closed doors of the upper level and the back rooms.

Happy ******** birthday, Fletcher. You go out to celebrate your thirty-third year on this miserable rock with liquor and women who don't know you and you wake up with a hangover, covered in their blood. I know I'm in a hard damned place and the rocks are about to start rolling my way.

I came alone, which meant there wasn't a damn soul to vouch for my innocence. Worse, the incoming police might know me and bent or honest, no cop loves a spook. I knew my luck wasn't improving when the detective walked into the joint.

“I didn't do this, Mick,” I said.

“Damned if I don't know that. Don't know why you're so ********' jumpy, Howard,” Leon McKay returned and then sighed. “Still, you're here which means you probably did something. This is no place to find an honest cop, Howard. Especially a hatchet man.”

“It's just a bar, Mick. Better music. Prettier girls than most.”

“You know it ain't and the ladies here don't come for free.”

Mick was right, of course, and it was true that I should've been more worried about the ordinary sort of crime than going down for a bunch of murders I didn't commit. There were a lot of boys who would love to see an Affairs man go down for minor corruptions just on principal.

For the first time, then, I noticed I wasn't the only survivor from the bloody night I couldn't seem to recall and every man there looked as s**t as I felt.

“What've you got on this, Mick? I wanna know what sling my a** is caught in.”

“Divine vengeance if you believe the rags. Sodom and Gomorrah for modern times. Sinners are being punished and their crimes are put on on display for the remainders to see plain.”

I stopped and rubbed my aching skull. The line just doesn't add up right away.

“What the hell do the rags have on this already? It's too damn early for the presses to be cooling off,” I said.

“You've got to start reading more. This ain't the first hit. How is any cop not hip on the biggest crime spree in town?”

“The town ain't my beat, Mick.”

The silence made me regret my words immediately. The last thing I needed was to remind Mick that we weren't friends anymore. I didn't have friends. I was the phantom in the cop shop who made friends go away forever.

That was the reason I was drinking alone at this hive of villainy on my birthday, after all, and it seems that I'd been drinking pretty damn hard.

“What about the other witnesses?” I said to break the ice that was forming on the scene.

“There are no witnesses. Every last one of you was knocked the hell out when we got here and, all things considered, I don't think that was all from the juice.”

I braced myself against the bar rail and stagger over to one of the dead girls; this one posed in an unseemly way over the bar. She was still technically clothed, but not in any meaningful way. All the other bodies were in similarly vulgar states and some had male staff and customers additionally posed as accessories.

“This is disgusting, Mick.”

“It for sure ain't dignified. I'll take it over the last scene I scoured though. I'll never set foot in a diner again.”

I leaned in for a closer look. Nothing about the tableau was rough-shod or impromptu in the least. There was art and craftsmanship. Fine stitching and subtle bracing was used to hold every detail as the killer wanted it to be seen but there was enough left to nature to keep the scene from losing – for lack of a more appropriate word – its life.

It was a kind of bizarre taxidermy done with no stuffing or preservatives and I couldn't believe that it was all done in the space of a night but the state of the bodies – still fresh, almost even warm – meant that it had to be so.

“Howard, you said yourself this ain't your beat.”

“Think of me as an observer, Mick. An expert witness just getting my bearings here. A cop on scene plays well with a jury.”

That was the truth, but more I was just fascinated. This was unlike anything I'd seen in thirteen years of service. This was homicide as an art form.

“I can already tell you one thing,” I said to Mick. “The perp knew this place damn well and he knew these people would be here. You don't design a portrait like this on a whim and everybody who ain't dead, myself included, are just extra parts who didn't belong.”

“There's something to that, I'd bet. I don't see how that helps any, though. Just means that anyone who might've known the whackjob is tied up in the scenery.”

I shook my head.

“Use your brain, Mick. Just because all the vics are regular doesn't mean all the regulars were here. Same goes for the other scene.”

“Four.”

“What?”

“Other four scenes. I told you this is big, Howard. We've seen four of these massacres already. A diner, an art show, a theater, and a church.”

“That's good news, Mick.”

“I don't see how you can say that. There's so many victims.”

“Our lot is not to feel sorry for the dead. All that tragedy is an opportunity for us. Cast a net. Somewhere, somebody was fortuitously not at their normal haunt. Lucky for them and us. We find them and they'll tell us who the new kid in town was.”

The uniforms started pulling the survivors out of the bar to take down to the station, but I stuck around with Mick as the coroners came in to deal with the bodies, seventeen in all. Moving them would've been a real b***h, so they tarped them over and got shuttering the joint. Autopsies would likely be on-site, which never made the corpse doctors happy. There would be arguments; territorial disputes over the state of the scene. Detectives would want the positions of the bodies preserved, coroners would want to cut 'em open, and loved ones would want them buried or burned. Rules would be bent or broken. That was my beat and maybe for once I could head bad behavior off at the pass.

At my recommendation, Mick already had patrols off to gather potential witnesses and there was time enough for my deposition later. For now, I needed the hair of the dog and Mick looked like he could use an early start. The bar might be out of business but my bet was the hooch still worked fine and nobody who mattered was around to claim it. I grabbed from the top shelf and poured for the two of us.

“It's my birthday, you know.”

“No s**t, Howard? You throw quite a party, don't you?”

We drank in silence.

Neither of us were ready for the next person who walked through the door.

Captain Benjamin Brooks came in and sat next to us and poured one for himself. The men had always taken the Captain for a teetotaler but he put the liquor down like a regular barstool jockey.

“This is a right mess, boys, and I can't say I'm pleased you're here, Fletcher. You have an obligation to be above reproach. I rely on you and here I find you're in the sleaziest establishment in town on the very night the most wanted murderer we've ever set our teeth against tears up the place and more over you allow it to happen and see nothing.”

Captain Brooks shook his head and poured another.

“There are any number of respectable cop bars in this town. Why did you have to be here?”

The question was rhetorical and it didn't bear saying that I wouldn't be welcome at any cop bar.

Mick and I held our tongues like good soldiers and let the Captain continue.
“This is the fifth such attack in our fair city in the last two months, but it's the twelfth in all. I've kept this close to my chest and out of the press but I fear this isn't purely a local problem and as much as I loathe the idea, much of this is about to be taken out of our hands.”

Captain Brooks looked me dead in the eye and I felt cold.

“I'm telling you this, Fletcher, because I want this cleared up and I want you back as soon as possible.”

Mick jumped off his stool, but my foggy mind failed to register what he was easily grasping.

“You can't be ******** serious, Captain!”

“It's out of my hands, McKay.”

I felt the shadows over me before I bothered to look behind. I knew what I would find if I glanced and I didn't want to know. If the regular cops feared the likes of me and the Captain, we too feared a greater power.

A power that came in pairs of black suits and don't give much care for working stiffs like us because they had the Law behind them in a way that we only played at.

“Detective Sergeant Fletcher?” asked one of the matching Feds behind me.

“That's me,” I said in a raspy, mouse-like voice.

“You're under arrest.”

TO BE CONTINUED IN
THE DESTROYING ANGEL

LOL but whenever I change... at least one person notices.

Dangerous Darling

29,800 Points
  • Grunny Grabber 50
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
  • Are You Jelly? 500
Entry!!

Squirm
We are like worms washed onto the asphalt after the rain.

We are crushed under careless, unknowing feet 

While idle eyes watch our struggle—

Some will turn wrong and only wiggle further into futility,

down a path with no exit from the black, imprisoning asphalt. 

Some will give up, languishing in the watery remains of the passed storm.

But some of us will make it;
The few that squirmed past the prying eyes 
on the black sea of pavement and to the futile, concrete barrier withholding life, 

keeping out the soil in a concrete world.

O.G. Elder

Wing McCallister
Because it ******** scares us.

Spoopy Bun

23,300 Points
  • Master Converter 500
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Elocutionist 200
I keep scrolling the page and going, 'sweet, a newbie to the thread! ... Oh. Not quite.' xd

O.G. Elder

So the s**t was just fully scared out of me on another matter as well.

I went and posted the story on TentacL as well, where I intend to post the rest of the serial if anybody is interested.

I get ready to page away and catch out of my eye some flaws in my formatting. The quotation marks had all been converted to code in the final post! I go through and replace all the proper quotation marks with standards by hand and as I reach the end I remember that tentacL is on Gaia's framework and think -- ********!!! -- and rush back over here to check.

It wasn't. It obviously wasn't. I've direct pasted from my word processor so many times I should know. I freaked out anyways.

Winter Warrior

9,475 Points
  • Rat Conqueror 500
  • Lightbulb 150
  • Winter Guardian 250
Wing McCallister

try a whole thread of people who are all afraid!!!
Also.. the round ended on the 28th...

It is now Round 3 magic time.

Familiar Businesswoman

Time to get serious. Prose time! A small little snippet before an actual story I am making right now, I am pretty pleased about it. Let's see how Wing feels about it.

Prolonged

The glittering rain spat out from the sky. Transparent liquid persisted against the ground, drenching it to become a thick, brown mud. The foliage began to crease up, crunchy blades of grass turning into crumpled paper. A gentle beating of a tree became louder. The rain began to shine against the sky, millions of images projecting in the puddles that had been created. Mirrors that mimicked the scene.

Screams, unheard by human ears, screeched throughout the forest. No feet; just levitating beings trying to escape. They would have feet again. Very soon they could recall the gentle pat of the soil against the tender of feet. The gentle snap of heavy rain on skin. Colors would return to their limited state—but it was worth it to be alive again. Rushing, rushing toward the point of entry and exit. Glittering rain allowed bits and parts to revive the original colors they had obtained as humans. Raining, it was finally raining, so they could find life again.

The hopefuls, a stereotypically white dashed with a pale rainbow, flew toward freedom. The trees all looked dissimilar, all just markers toward where the exit was. Blurs reverberated through the puddles, with a small dash of red always following close to the pack. The red would continue to follow until the forest exit. The red never enjoyed the human world; with their killing machines and silver pointed bullets. But, it would come woefully close to the exit for a chance to feed.

Only quick sloshes of rain against their pale intangibility could be heard. And the quick tidbits of red. Oh the red—she had no meaning behind her movements. If it was not red—anyone but red—no souls would remain in this forest. They would find themselves back into reality; a reality that prospered them as the top creature.

Other ghosts stayed, though few in numbers. Resting within a groove underneath a tree, they would hide in fear. Crouched over, like scared little children, waiting for their nightmare to pass. As long as the rain never intertwined with their purity; they were safe. From the rotting insides of a tree groove, they found solace in their freedom within the forest. The human world had nothing to offer them.

The exit was not that far now; but the souls were rare sightings. The green foliage was reduced to what humans eyes could perceive; a wasteland. Fresh grass was stripped and given titles of ponds or sludge. Large gaps of water filled the space between brown soil and deep grooves in the ground. Trees were now fading into leafless things, trifles that were stripped of worth and given for material objects. Red wondered, in her rage, why the souls preferred the cruel human world to her stomach? At least there they would be acknowledged. But rage overcame curiosity, her teeth sinking into another desperate soul. Her shoulder blade had just materialized, but now, it was a simple meal. Blood gushed out dark then red, red consumed it all in a matter of seconds.

The rest of the soul would lay in the ground, floundering about. Another lost soul, another thing to part both worlds. Its skin, half transparent, half flesh would sizzle. Against the muck that all could see, a soul was being crossed over. Steam, rising slowly into the night sky, would be the only thing left. There was no cry from it—already lost its will. From human eyes, another odd fluctuation from the mud. From the souls, another poor chi supped by red. From the magical, a life story. A beautiful progression of life, from conception to the very moment of death. A movie within the air. Explosive, grandiose stories could be told via death. Anyone with large enough eyes and heart would see this as a massacre. But, to the malicious, a continuous reel of film.

The two remaining souls, a couple with both arms emerged from the white-pastel matter. Coarse, dry hands held onto each other. Neither of them were safe if red was able to eat their followers, all fifty of them. In a matter of two minutes, their efforts, struggles, fears, left to a mere meal. Each friend rendered to wisps of chi. Words were spoken by gestures and motions.

The blond woman, hair tied into a bun, was just popping into color. Her companion, a fair skinned female, knew the most of them all. Being held captive for hundreds of years, she had no clue her land was no longer hers. That, outside, she had no more power than the Europeans that trampled her land. Blondie would never tell her that. Blondie would protect her until the end—at least as far as the 1900’s she knew.

Time never mattered until this precise moment. The second the last drop found itself on the ground was the moment the trees began. The exacting measure that would straighten the leaves, polish the ground in earthy, moist soil, a forest like no other. The stillness of the air was deadening. Red wanted more to eat; the women wanted to lead half stable lives with the living.

The creases against their faces began to glow. Blood began to shine in droplets midair, slowly gravitating through the thickness of gravity. The spirits were calling to the fair skinned one—calling for their final heir to be home at last. Blue eyes pierced the pain stricken Native, speaking nothing with her mouth but volumes with her expression. A deep grey began to seep from her irises, blood drying. Bones showing. Skin furrowing into piles of grey dust, soon to be mixed with the soil.

There was an escape—she had escaped. By seeing the tall city buildings and the reefer from not far away, Blondie was home. A smile crept about the face, blush rose from her cheeks. Warmth fled to her palms. So much time had passed—Blondie assumed so from the start. This was the life she was going to share before. A life filled with no one but heirs and great great great children and relatives. Blondie had no other choice but to move forward.

Her golden locks, twisted like a maze, flew through the air as she made small steps away from the forest entry. A slender figure was soon rendered to bones and stretched out skin. Liver spots were common. Her flapper outfit found itself barely clinging to the shapely pelvis bone. Smaller steps had been taken. Reefer smoke began to be diluted with cheap perfume and fruity gum. Whispers of a language Blondie could and will never comprehend went overhead. Could she speak now; was it safe after all?

When her lips found themselves puckering inward, a copious amount of dust flushed through her mouth. Coughing, Blondie would attempt to let it out. Release the ash from her lungs, but to avail. Her rubber outfit was falling to the ground. Her mental state—depleting rapidly. Her green eyes were fading from the night like the moon. Eclipsed by soft, puffy clouds—Blondie became blind.

The gentle beat of the forest ceased. The rain had stopped. And all that was left, ashes. Ashes from some darn teenager smoking that reefer.

Dangerous Enabler

I could probably try to rustle something up for this round . . .

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff