Welcome to Gaia! ::

Should it be a right?

yes 0.83435582822086 83.4% [ 136 ]
no 0.16564417177914 16.6% [ 27 ]
Total Votes:[ 163 ]
1 2 3 >

EDIT: You can skip everything I wrote here. My question is this, why should we give people the right to belive in things that dont make sense?

And now my post.

When you really think about it, to enshrine that people have a right to controlled by a belife that defies logic seems kind of odd. To put it another way, you have the right to reject truth and science.

Why would we as a society think this a worthwhile idea to enshrine into the very fundamental documents of our goverments.

You have the right to be stupid?

In multiculturalism we talk about a persons right to their cultural heritage. This makes much more sense to me. You dont get to choose the culture of your birth any more then you get to choose your race, sexual orientation and gender. What you do choose however is your religion.

When we enshrine religious rights into our laws, we make it allright for people to descriminate agianst others becuase their religion says so. We alow large amounts of mony and time to be spent creating hostile attitudes and intolerence. We hurt science and we keep our societies from moving forward based on sounds rational thinking. When we enshrine religion as a right it puts pressure on those who would take a rational eye and call a faith the load of horse s**t it is, to keep thier mouths shut less they be accused of intolerence.

Im not saying faith should be illegal. But when a group brings it memebers to commit mass suicide, when they bring someone to kill doctors, when they preform fake medicine all the while allowing their patients die, these religions should be held just acountable as any other group.

What do you think?

Is religion an important enough thing to be made a human right?
o_O Sounds like you're talking about cults. (Coercing its members it commit mass suicide.) Cults are cults. They are, well, bad.

Killing doctors and allowing patients to die is against the law. Extremist groups may commit such acts, but they are the minority. I don't think the Catholic Church down my road is murdering anyone. (Well, I can't be too sure. I've never been there...)

Maybe I just don't understand what you're saying. confused
Hi! mrgreen

Yes they should be held accountable for whatever they do, despite what they think is right based on what their religion tells them. Yes, it is and should be everyones right to participate or not participate in their own religions but it is not their right to harm another human being. And yeah, I am confuzzled.
To say it's bad is somewhat shortsighted. While organized religion itself is a bit of an oddity in that it often requires putting infallible faith in the hands of very fallible men, the fact is most of humanity is not comfortable with the idea that might be alone in this world. Honestly, I don't know if I am or not, but so long as religious people don't try and interfere with the rights of others I'm not opposed to anything they do (this includes Locke's "rights" to life, liberty and property).
Eye_seE
When you really think about it, to enshrine that people have a right to controlled by a belife that defies logic seems kind of odd. To put it another way, you have the right to reject truth and science.
Not all religions reject "truth" and science.

Quote:
Why would we as a society think this a worthwhile idea to enshrine into the very fundamental documents of our goverments.
You need to learn how to type in complete sentences. We think it important because you have a right to think whatever you want here. That was the whole point.

Quote:
You have the right to be stupid?
You sure do.

Quote:
In multiculturalism we talk about a persons right to their cultural heritage. This makes much more sense to me. You dont get to choose the culture of your birth any more then you get to choose your race, sexual orientation and gender. What you do choose however is your religion.
Religion is often part of culture.

Quote:
When we enshrine
You need to expand your vocabulary. Did you just learn this word or something?
Quote:
religious rights into our laws, we make it allright for people to descriminate agianst others becuase their religion says so.
No we don't. We allow them to think whatever they want. If a certain type of discrimination is illegal, then religion doesn't matter.
Quote:
We alow large amounts of mony and time to be spent creating hostile attitudes and intolerence.
People can do whatever they want with their money and their time.
Quote:
We hurt science and we keep our societies from moving forward based on sounds rational thinking.
You mean "sound" rational thinking?
Quote:
When we enshrine
Four times is enough really, you can retire this word now.
Quote:
religion as a right it puts pressure on those who would take a rational eye and call a faith the load of horse s**t it is, to keep thier mouths shut less they be accused of intolerence.
Are you kidding? Calling religion bullshit is so vogue right now.

Quote:
Im not saying faith should be illegal. But when a group brings it memebers to commit mass suicide, when they bring someone to kill doctors, when they preform fake medicine all the while allowing their patients die, these religions should be held just acountable as any other group.
You mean criminals should be punished for breaking laws? Wow, that's innovative.

Quote:
What do you think?

Is religion an important enough thing to be made a human right?
I think you're biased and bigoted.
it depends, really, i mean you dont have to be religious if you don wanna, no-ones gonna make you... *gulp*
MrInsecure
To say it's bad is somewhat shortsighted. While organized religion itself is a bit of an oddity in that it often requires putting infallible faith in the hands of very fallible men, the fact is most of humanity is not comfortable with the idea that might be alone in this world. Honestly, I don't know if I am or not, but so long as religious people don't try and interfere with the rights of others I'm not opposed to anything they do (this includes Locke's "rights" to life, liberty and property).

But thats the thing. They do get involved. They love to get involved, becuase they are guided by a belife in a falsehood that tells them what is right and what is wrong.

And yes, the actions I described are carried out by a small "cults" as it were, but its the moderates who feed them. Its the moderates you like to sit on the fence and give the impression of the falsehood being correct.
Quote:
Eye_seE
Not all religions reject "truth" and science.

They may not reject all of it but they do reject some of it. Thats the point of it being a religion. If they didnt then it would be a fact, not a religion.

Quote:
Quote:
You need to learn how to type in complete sentences. We think it important because you have a right to think whatever you want here. That was the whole point.

Thats why im asking the question, why should we. The right to debate a point, the right to hold a view when backed by evidence, sure. By the right to hold a view simply becuase god told you to? why?

Quote:
Quote:
Religion is often part of culture.

Well of course it is. But I'm part of the north american culture. I celebrate christmas, but that dosent mean I belive in christ.

Quote:
Quote:
When we enshrine
You need to expand your vocabulary. Did you just learn this word or something?
Quote:
religious rights into our laws, we make it allright for people to descriminate agianst others becuase their religion says so.
No we don't. We allow them to think whatever they want. If a certain type of discrimination is illegal, then religion doesn't matter.

Attacking me dosent help. Im not attack you.
And religion does matter. When a man killed a abortion doctor he was sentanced to death. Yet the religious group he was apart of, got away scot free. They werent challenged or anything, becuase they had the right to think what he did was right. Thus society leaves itself open to this sort of thing happen again.

Quote:
Are you kidding? Calling religion bullshit is so vogue right now.

Well despite finding my language offensive, it is bullshit to belive something true, base your life around it, and have no proof that it even happend. Or rather have loads of evidence that it did in fact not happen.

Quote:
[I think you're biased and bigoted.

Well thank you very much, but you didnt address my primary question. And it is a question I have. Why should we give people the right to belive in things that dont make sense?
We are entitled to our right to believe what we want how we want, But we must however abied by the set laws of the land. That mean No human sacrifice, no enslavement of minorities, or legal supiriority of another due to religouse believes and status. A christian must be treated equal to a wiccan, or Muslim or any other person of diffrent belief. Each religion is equaly limited to what the legaly can and can not do.
Let people believe what they want to believe. One belief to one person may be rediculous to another, but that doesn't really matter.
you have a very good point we should havethe freedom of religon except for those that dun make sense. So we should but we shouldn't.
You don't "grant" people rights. They have these rights. Anyway, since everyone thinks differently and have different consciousness, you can't say when something doesn't make sense to someone else.

People have the right to believe whatever they want. The main problem is people don't realize this or they think their belief structure is somehow above this right and therefore it doesn't apply when someone believes something you don't. It's really a problem when people have misconceptions on what something means and assume things conflict and so they go pick sides as if one can not live with the other (ex. all the science vs. religion crap), when they don't just step back and understand it's different methods for YOU to understand yourself and the world/universe.

Of course people are gonna have a different view then me, and that's fine, I have the right to believe this way and they have the right to believe whatever they want.

The ability to REALLY put aside idealogical differences to cooperate for mutual benefit is the epitome of civilization. You don't even have to like eachother, but as long as you realize they can live how they do if it doesn't harm you or impose on you (I think people who get offended from everything are intolerant bigots myself, although the ones who inadvertently made the "offense" is usuallly called the bigot). But really if you don't like it look away and go do whatever you do (which may be wrong in someone else's eyes).
People have the right to believe in whatever they want. If they believe that one huge spork imploded to form the universe and we're all really little sporks in disguise, let them think that. People DO have the right to be stupid. people have the right to think whatever they want to think, and that's part of the nature of America. Land of the free. Not land of the free-as-long-as-it-makes-sense.
Just because you don't believe in a religion doesn't mean it's universally nonsense.

Some people are conforted by the belief of a God, which has not curently been disproven.

The real question should be: Why are one's religious beliefs so important/potentially damaging to others that one may consider abolishing the right to have them?
Freedom of religion isn't a bad thing, neither is believing in a religion. Yeah sure we can't prove if God exists and if Jesus (or any other religious figure)was as extrodinary as he was made out to be, but for some people believing in religion is what gets them through the days. (I don't see gow, but for some people it does) Believing in something that doesn't exist?? Hmmm...if it doesn't exist then why have we heard about it? Maybe it was created from someones imaginaiton. or want for attention, but it still exists, but maybe not in all aspects of it. I'll stop ranting now.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff