Welcome to Gaia! ::

Ok, this thread is acting wierd with me so if my posts were registered, just ignore this one.

I agree with Raunzel's and Peter Moore's commentary upon the signifigance of movies with consoles. They are meant to make games. If it only costs a little extra money to throw in DVD player, go for it. If your console will cost up to $600 dollars with a Blue-Ray player, you may want to have that as an option. I do believe that Microsoft made the right decision in making the HD player an optional add-on to the 360. If it was not, then the system's price would rival the PS3's.

As for Aleitheo's statement on the PS3 being overpriced, I do believe it is indeed over priced. However, you are viewing overpriced from the standpoint of Sony. I view it from the consumer position. I do not care how much it costs to make, I will not play $600 for a console when I have other, cheaper, and just as fun options.
Raunzel

Well obviously not many people care for Blu-Ray, or everyone would be flocking to get the PS3, the cheapest Blu-Ray Player around.
Also, the whole reason the 360 has so many accessories is because MS wants people to have a choice of what they want, and not shove it down their throats. If people want a HD-DVD Player, they can buy it. If they don't want it, then they don't have to. If you don't believe me, here's a quote from Peter Moore:
"Look...we're not going to get embroiled in a movie-playback war. We're very clear on this. If you've already got your 360, $199 puts you in the high-def movie playback scenario, but I'm not burdening the box with it as our competitor's done. This is about games. It's not about movies."
Truer words have never been spoken (The bolded part)

Peter Moore works for Microsoft, so of course he would diss to competition. In actuality, the Blu-Ray player IS adding to the effect of games- it's not just something that affects movies. Blu-Ray's storage space and heightened transfer rate will lessen load times and eliminate the need for more than 2 disks for a while. DVDs are obviously reaching their limit, even with compression techniques the way they are now, and it costs a bit of money and time every time a developer has to find a new technique for compression so he can keep his game full- either that or we find games with several disks (which the developers also have to pay for, so they try to avoid that) or in a worse cast scenario a ton of content is cut from a game to make it fit. Blu-Ray helps with these problems.
Sinrus the Great
Ok, this thread is acting wierd with me so if my posts were registered, just ignore this one.

I agree with Raunzel's and Peter Moore's commentary upon the signifigance of movies with consoles. They are meant to make games. If it only costs a little extra money to throw in DVD player, go for it. If your console will cost up to $600 dollars with a Blue-Ray player, you may want to have that as an option. I do believe that Microsoft made the right decision in making the HD player an optional add-on to the 360. If it was not, then the system's price would rival the PS3's.

As for Aleitheo's statement on the PS3 being overpriced, I do believe it is indeed over priced. However, you are viewing overpriced from the standpoint of Sony. I view it from the consumer position. I do not care how much it costs to make, I will not play $600 for a console when I have other, cheaper, and just as fun options.
Of course by having the HD player seperate, Microsoft doesn't benefit from the extra storage space avaialbe on HD DVDs and the format doesn't have the advantage of being available on a cheap player (PS3 may be expensive, but Blu-Ray players cost even more).
I agree that from a consumer's point of view the PS3 is expensive. The Wii costing £180 was enough for me.
Rashou
Raunzel

Well obviously not many people care for Blu-Ray, or everyone would be flocking to get the PS3, the cheapest Blu-Ray Player around.
Also, the whole reason the 360 has so many accessories is because MS wants people to have a choice of what they want, and not shove it down their throats. If people want a HD-DVD Player, they can buy it. If they don't want it, then they don't have to. If you don't believe me, here's a quote from Peter Moore:
"Look...we're not going to get embroiled in a movie-playback war. We're very clear on this. If you've already got your 360, $199 puts you in the high-def movie playback scenario, but I'm not burdening the box with it as our competitor's done. This is about games. It's not about movies."

Peter Moore works for Microsoft, so of course he would diss to competition. In actuality, the Blu-Ray player IS adding to the effect of games- it's not just something that affects movies. Blu-Ray's storage space and heightened transfer rate will lessen load times and eliminate the need for more than 2 disks for a while. DVDs are obviously reaching their limit, even with compression techniques the way they are now, and it costs a bit of money and time every time a developer has to find a new technique for compression so he can keep his game full- either that or we find games with several disks (which the developers also have to pay for, so they try to avoid that) or in a worse cast scenario a ton of content is cut from a game to make it fit. Blu-Ray helps with these problems.

How about this, are load times and less discs worth a $300?
360 is betta cuz xbl is suber funn!<3 whee
I'm really f*cking tired of console wars.
Rashou
Raunzel

Some of the developers obviously don't think exactly as you do. Here's a quote from an anonymous developer: "[Playstation Network] was a debacle from day one. Basically, the developers have to do all the heavy lifting. Microsoft required us to simply plug in to their code. Sony required us to build it or use an outside technology source. Unfortunately, I feel that the quality of the titles could be much improved if the development process wasn't so excruciatingly painful."
So you think you know more than an actual game developer?
CounterTerrorist
Then you should go to sleep, since they won't stop.
Blu-ray is not about games.

Blu-ray is part of Sony's plan to get the public to adopt a new proprietary movie format that they are owners of.

How many DVDs do people buy each year? The number is in the billions. If Sony owns the format movies are printed on, it can make a dollar or so off of every movie sold. That's hitting the weak point for massive profit.

Sony needs people to adopt blu-ray for this to work. Well, how do you do that? Remember that the PS2 was a key player in the adoption of DVD. So doing something similar with the PS3 should theoretically yield similar results, yes? And that's exactly what they're doing.

It has little to do with making the PS3 better, and far more to do with allowing Sony to further profit from the movie industry. PS3 will probably never turn a profit, but that doesn't matter because what they make off the movies more than makes up for it.

I don't hold it against them that they want to make money(and I do envy them because this 'is' a good plan) but I'm not about to praise the PS3 for having a blu-ray drive that wasn't added for the sake of gaming.
BGBW
CounterTerrorist
Then you should go to sleep, since they won't stop.

Fanboys really need to be lobotmized, unfortunately that can't.
AerisEsper
Blu-ray is not about games.

Blu-ray is part of Sony's plan to get the public to adopt a new proprietary movie format that they are owners of.

How many DVDs do people buy each year? The number is in the billions. If Sony owns the format movies are printed on, it can make a dollar or so off of every movie sold. That's hitting the weak point for massive profit.

Sony needs people to adopt blu-ray for this to work. Well, how do you do that? Remember that the PS2 was a key player in the adoption of DVD. So doing something similar with the PS3 should theoretically yield similar results, yes? And that's exactly what they're doing.

It has little to do with making the PS3 better, and far more to do with allowing Sony to further profit from the movie industry. PS3 will probably never turn a profit, but that doesn't matter because what they make off the movies more than makes up for it.

I don't hold it against them that they want to make money(and I do envy them because this 'is' a good plan) but I'm not about to praise the PS3 for having a blu-ray drive that wasn't added for the sake of gaming.

The problem is that the difference between VHS and DVD was blindingly obvious. Of course people were going to adopt this format. Not only was it better quality, it was easier to use. What advantage does Blu-Ray have over HD-DVD and standard DVD apart from quality in picture? Not very much.

Sony is playing with very big 'What if' situations. They are banking on everyone falling head over heels for Blu-Ray just like they did for DVDs in the last format upgrade. The basic fact of the matter is, Blu-Ray is here too soon. Everything is still coming out on DVD and the consumer is still perfectly happy with DVD. We don't need Blu-Ray and only those who are the "ZOMG NEW TECH MUST BUY!" kinds are going to heavily invest in Blu-Ray for some time, I predict.

The only factor that will change that is Brand Loyalty. Those who are loyal to Sony are effectively being forced to adopt this new format regardless of whether they want to or not. And yes, the method will work, it will gain the format some penetration into the market and word will spread. But realistically, I just don't see Blu-Ray taking off the same way DVD did. Simply because the technology isn't as big a step with blindingly obvious benefits.
Raunzel
Rashou
Raunzel

Some of the developers obviously don't think exactly as you do. Here's a quote from an anonymous developer: "[Playstation Network] was a debacle from day one. Basically, the developers have to do all the heavy lifting. Microsoft required us to simply plug in to their code. Sony required us to build it or use an outside technology source. Unfortunately, I feel that the quality of the titles could be much improved if the development process wasn't so excruciatingly painful."

You realize that quote is talking about the Playstation Network. That's the online portion of the PS3. It has nothing to do with Blu-Ray.
Oh yes, I don't honestly think blu-ray movies will catch on. Sony's taking a major gamble here, but they think the rewards might be worth the risk.

I expect DVD movies to stay on top for years to come.
Rashou
Raunzel
Rashou
Raunzel

You realize that quote is talking about the Playstation Network. That's the online portion of the PS3. It has nothing to do with Blu-Ray.

Ah, maybe so. But I doubt the PS3 can win on horsepower alone. Even looking at your sig proves how poor it's doing.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff