Welcome to Gaia! ::

Shameless Gawker

So I have 22 wheat. I click on the market and I have the choice of selling it there. The thing is, it says the profit is 20 gold. I'm wondering if that's 20 for each of the wheat or altogether. Cause if it's altogether, then I'd rather sell it in storage...
Anyone know?

Edit: Also, how does the commission work??? And how do I earn more gold? ;w;User Image

User Image
I was wondering the same thing LOL !
sweatdrop Let's just wait if someone tried.

Friendly Sex Symbol

7,950 Points
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
From what I gather, Marketplace is so you can sell to players. You earn more then selling it to the "shop", but you won't earn gold unless someone actually buys your stuff.

7,150 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Full closet 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
It's profit all together - the entire stack of 20 and not each. It's simply showing you the extra gold you make instead of selling it back to the vendor/store on your own without market. It also has the commission cost deducted already.

Shameless Gawker

Wolfie
It's profit all together - the entire stack of 20 and not each. It's simply showing you the extra gold you make instead of selling it back to the vendor/store on your own without market. It also has the commission cost deducted already.

Do you need to have friends to buy it or does it sell automatically to cyber space buyers?User Image

User Image

7,150 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Full closet 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
It's a market shared by friends who also play the game, so it's not "virtual" buyers.

This was very helpful and advantageous for people that participated in the easter event, which revolved around collecting as many Wheat and Carrots as possible and the winners got some nice cash prizes. Using the market, I sold a lot of carrots and wheat at a higher price than normal since they were in high demand from players who were aiming to win or to even just do the minimum to complete the event ( you got a little chick or a bunny if you could gather 1000 wheat and 250 carrots).

Lonely Lunatic

11,550 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Friendly 100
  • Cheercrusher 50
where's the backgound?

Friendly Sex Symbol

7,950 Points
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
I could see the Market being useful to sell 'ingredient' crops - like Wheat or Pumpkins - as they'd save a player time of growing them... but I haven't ever seen anything sold in the Market, so...

7,150 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Full closet 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
krisslanza
I could see the Market being useful to sell 'ingredient' crops - like Wheat or Pumpkins - as they'd save a player time of growing them... but I haven't ever seen anything sold in the Market, so...

It helps when you have more friends that actively play. 3nodding

Friendly Sex Symbol

7,950 Points
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
Wolfie
krisslanza

It helps when you have more friends that actively play. 3nodding

Oh.
Ooooooh. Okay I re-read what you said earlier, and it clicked. I see nothing for sale in the market, because I don't have any friends. Here I was thinking the market was shared amongst everyone, not just those you've friended rofl

Snuggly Buddy

29,150 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Conventioneer 300
x__s o y m i l k

So I have 22 wheat. I click on the market and I have the choice of selling it there. The thing is, it says the profit is 20 gold. I'm wondering if that's 20 for each of the wheat or altogether. Cause if it's altogether, then I'd rather sell it in storage...
Anyone know?

Edit: Also, how does the commission work??? And how do I earn more gold? ;w;User Image

User Image

A few comments on what I have observed in Market, some of this is covered by other posters.
1. The commission is the fee the game charges you for listing stuff on the market. Even if you later decide you would rather cancel the listing because it is not selling, the game will still charge you the commission fee. (kind of sucky IMO)

2. The word "profit" is misused in this game. Instead they should use "gross".
If you buy something for 5 gold and sell it for 15 gold then the PROFIT is 10 gold. This game will tell you the "profit" is 15 gold when actually that is the gross return and not your net profit.

3. Market items are only sold to 'real' players and apparently only to your own neighbors. Which means if you only have a few neighbors and they are not in a buying mood your stuff just sits there and (see item 1) if you want to pull it back off the market you pay a fee. I've had stuff sitting there for about two days now. Now that I have a few more neighbors I can see some of there stuff for sale as well. When I first listed I only had one or two neighbors and the only stuff in the market was my own.

I am supposing Gaia figures the market will be more active and grow on its own once we have lots of neighbors and higher levels. Not sure about that but we'll see. Personally I think it sucks so bad at lower levels people will get out of the habit of trying it once they get higher. Removing the penalty for canceling the listing might help. It would also obviously be better if the listing included all players of the game (not just your own neighbors) but that might not be doable. It also might bog down the market listings horrendously once there are many thousands of players.

For now my stuff is still listed since I'm not dying for it but I've stopped listing anything else.

Shameless Gawker

David2074
x__s o y m i l k

Anyone know?

User Image

A few comments on what I have observed in Market, some of this is covered by other posters.
1. The commission is the fee the game charges you for listing stuff on the market. Even if you later decide you would rather cancel the listing because it is not selling, the game will still charge you the commission fee. (kind of sucky IMO)

If you buy something for 5 gold and sell it for 15 gold then the PROFIT is 10 gold. This game will tell you the "profit" is 15 gold when actually that is the gross return and not your net profit.

3. Market items are only sold to 'real' players and apparently only to your own neighbors. Which means if you only have a few neighbors and they are not in a buying mood your stuff just sits there and (see item 1) if you want to pull it back off the market you pay a fee. I've had stuff sitting there for about two days now. Now that I have a few more neighbors I can see some of there stuff for sale as well. When I first listed I only had one or two neighbors and the only stuff in the market was my own.

I am supposing Gaia figures the market will be more active and grow on its own once we have lots of neighbors and higher levels. Not sure about that but we'll see. Personally I think it sucks so bad at lower levels people will get out of the habit of trying it once they get higher. Removing the penalty for canceling the listing might help. It would also obviously be better if the listing included all players of the game (not just your own neighbors) but that might not be doable. It also might bog down the market listings horrendously once there are many thousands of players.

For now my stuff is still listed since I'm not dying for it but I've stopped listing anything else.

Thanks. That was mega helpful C:
And I agree. Super sucky. B|
I'll just stick to farm and sell without market.User Image

User Image

7,150 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Full closet 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
David2074

It actually is your net profit, not gross return.

Taking a stack of Strawberries as example.

Selling it in the market, it will be put up for sale at 1170, and among that is 90 in commission. Normally you would sell it to the vendor for 900. Profit is listed as 180 gold.

1170 gold - 900 gold = 270 gold

270 gold - 90 gold = 180 gold. <--- this is your net profit and also what is shown in the details when attempting to list an item stack for sale. It does not list the gross return.

Using the terms gross and net is more difficult to understand for the target audience of this game - which tends to be younger individuals - that most likely are not too well versed in economics. Using the term "profit" is more direct and "easier" to understand, so it explains why they chose to use the term profit rather than net.

Snuggly Buddy

29,150 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Conventioneer 300
Wolfie
David2074

It actually is your net profit, not gross return.

Taking a stack of Strawberries as example.

Selling it in the market, it will be put up for sale at 1170, and among that is 90 in commission. Normally you would sell it to the vendor for 900. Profit is listed as 180 gold.

1170 gold - 900 gold = 270 gold

270 gold - 90 gold = 180 gold. <--- this is your net profit and also what is shown in the details when attempting to list an item stack for sale. It does not list the gross return.

Using the terms gross and net is more difficult to understand for the target audience of this game - which tends to be younger individuals - that most likely are not too well versed in economics. Using the term "profit" is more direct and "easier" to understand, so it explains why they chose to use the term profit rather than net.

Thank you for the reply but no, it is NOT your net profit.
However I just looked over the Market wording again and over there it isn't really your gross either. Let's use the example of Wheat from start to finish.

Wheat
Buying seed
it says
Cost 3
Profit 5 ("profit" in this case is really your gross sale amount)

Selling from storage
Sells for 5 each, if you are selling 20 it says 'Profit' 100 (again this is gross)
Growing that 20 wheat cost you 3 x 20 or 60 so actual net profit is 100-60 = 40

Market
If you choose to sell 20 wheat it says
Sale Sum: 130 gold (Shop sale price 100 gold) ("Sale Sum" is not bad, it is at least accurate)
Profit 20 gold (This is not your profit, it is your net gain over selling the same 20 wheat out of inventory.)
Commission 10 gold

So if you sell 20 wheat through the market your actual net profit is

130 gold - 10 (commission) - 60 (cost to grow) = 60 gold

Coincidentally I just went to market and found the 20 wheat I had listed sold.
The message for that said:

"20 Wheat sold for 130 gold
Revenue 120 gold, Commission 10 gold."

That wording is more accurate.
I agree with the target audience being on the whole younger. While it doesn't have to be an economics lesson it could at least be accurate wording. It could say "Sale Sum" or "Total sale price" or similar wording without getting into gross or net profit.
It's not a big deal; it's just sloppy wording. I think the game over all is pretty cute.
(and I'm kind of surprised my wheat actually sold in market) smile

7,150 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Full closet 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
I think the issue here is that the listed profit doesn't take the cost of purchasing the seed into account, which is why we are disagreeing with this. The "profit" should also deduct the cost of the seed for it to be the net profit. Currently it only represent the difference between vendor price and market price minus the commission fee.

Wheat is actually very easy to sell since most higher level players desire that for higher level buildings (Flour Mill for example) and don't necessarily want to waste time on planting wheat anymore.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff