No opinion 0.30625 30.6% [ 49 ]
Total Votes:[ 160 ]
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Lonely Informer

20,165 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Mark Twain 100
I dunno if any of you guys heard of this but Bollywood is complaining about the opening scene of the avengers where bruce is in a slum in a city of India
they wanted the movie to show the better upper class areas of India instead of the same old slums I admit most americans probably think of when they think of India

I wanna vent and see if anyone else agrees or thinks Bollywood has a right to be upset

my reasons why it was a good scene and made sense

A: If I were Bruce and I could Hulk out at any time, I would hide on teh outskirts of town, the slums the less populated areas

B: Bruce was helping the lepers before the movie, the poor lepers
so I assume India wants him to help the rich and successful before the down and out, seriously good guy doing good work in an area that needed it

C: this scene was so short if they didnt say he was in India I dunno if I wouldve known thats where he was

D: Its a superhero movie, grow up and just sit back and enjoy the superpowered people beating up each other

thank you all and I would love to hear some opinions on this
Do you agree with Bollywood, or do you think it was ok to do this
and why
any opinions and just lets talk about this

*And now the apopted community is complaining about the Loki's adopted joke

I mean personally I think this joke is more racist, cause he wasnt an asguard he became evil and so forth

argh a two second zinger, and people need an apology,
I was reading some comments on the petition and someone said kids wont know loki's and thors history
... so let them watch thor and understand

you guys are complaining about a comic book movie

A COMIC BOOK MOVIE

one small part of india =/= india as a whole, people need to calm the hell down
User Image
I didn't really pay India much mind, to be honest. I was more interested in the dialogue between characters. Let's also not forget that Bruce was trying to help sick people. I think it's a lot more realistic to have sick people in a slum rather than the richer parts of India where people could probably afford better healthcare.

Frozen Bilge rat

13,725 Points
  • Grunny Harvester 150
  • Megathread 100
  • Invisibility 100
It's true India is much more than just slums. They have produced plenty of scientists, doctors, Merchant-Ivory films, and bla bla bla. But if they don't want others to show the slums, they can damn well clean them up. >_<

And this is just a dumb comicbook movie that is not calculated to make you think carefully about things...I haven't seen the movie, but comic books tend to be action oriented and simple enough for kids to enjoy. So they go with stereotypes. You don't need layered, complex characters with slow character development to produce action stories. You want a good guy, a bad guy, and a situation where you have to act fast. Every place is stripped of its unnecessary details, not just Calcutta/Bombay/whatever Indian city it was. New York City is stereotyped as a big generic urban landscape, not "ok here we go into the history of Peter Stuyvesant and the Netherlands vs England, and here are some wonderful community gardens and here's a nice little Quaker church" --- no no no. You don't want to confuse the casual reader with a fully rendered book of pictures. You want a quick sketch as background for the characters.
Bruce wanted to get as far away from S.H.E.I.L.D as possible while at the same time trying to help make a difference, the slums seem like a pretty good place to do both of that.
People will find anything to complain about sadly, I saw someone complained about the 'adoption' joke in the movie saying it gave people a bad impression on adopted kids, I'm like, " Seriously its a joke, don't try to find some deep, hidden message in it because you not gonna' find it." Same with the India slums scene.

Moonlight Conventioneer

12,500 Points
  • Survivor 150
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Ultimate Player 200
They need to get over themselves. Oh no, they showed him in the slums. Why is that a problem? It's not like it makes people think India is all horrible, I didn't even pay attention to that. If anything it showed the kindness he had to help those less fortunate.

Dapper Lunatic

Having Bruce be in non slum India would just be stupid. The last Hulk film had him hiding in a similar place.

Shirtless Fatcat

emotion_eyebrow
Having the character be set in an area where people could afford health care wouldn't have made the point the writer was trying to make with that scene.

He's acting as a hero in this moment, to have it set elsewhere it would have lost it's potency.

Shameless Shapeshifter

I think the trouble is that the film industry at large only depicts the problematic areas of India, creating a false impression that all of India lives in squalor.

The scene does make perfect sense in context, but it doesn't make Hollywood less of a bunch of asses for only showing India when they want to depict poverty and squalor.

Astral Cat

30,225 Points
  • The Plague of Kokeshi 100
  • Launch Party 100
  • The Bane of Kokeshi 50
I haz not watched.

I haven't read your first post since I have not watched.

I was expecting a different combo of characters for some reason. neutral

The Avengers is always changing it's line up @_@;

Every time I see the Trailers is like... boring... the dialog they found...

It's usually Captain America talking, so it's so mellow. It doesn't excite me. Then I see Loki and it's like " Wait, I was expecting different monsters if it was Loki". Then Thor appears and he is more mellow then Captain America, so I am like " OMG! I want to scream at this trailer! I AM SCREAMING AT YOU IN MY HEAD TRAILER!"

I need to watch other movies before Avengers. I haven't seen Captain America, Thor, and like two other essentials before watching The Avengers.

Seriously, the trailers are like " Look, Action movie,... but wait,.. instead let's listen to people talk more boring then the most boring part of a Hallmark Movie."

I guess the Trailers are bad rofl

They are failing to get me interested.

Liberal Voter

11,850 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Mark Twain 100
Bollywood needs to shut up and grow a pair. Make your own super hero movie so you can ignore the devastating poverty and in your country's slums... stare

Lonely Informer

20,165 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Mark Twain 100
battlescar
one small part of india =/= india as a whole, people need to calm the hell down

I wouldve understood if someone said

"Dr Banner why are you living in a slum in India?"

"Try finding a place in India that isnt like this"

then they couldve taken offense at that

but seriously this scene is so small and short who cares where thye wouldve filmed

I wouldve been excited if it was in a slum in Mexico and taken no offense at this, they should be happy India got its name in this movie

Lonely Informer

20,165 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Mark Twain 100
Metheshrew
User Image
I didn't really pay India much mind, to be honest. I was more interested in the dialogue between characters. Let's also not forget that Bruce was trying to help sick people. I think it's a lot more realistic to have sick people in a slum rather than the richer parts of India where people could probably afford better healthcare.

well in all fairness though illegal
India still has a caste system and probably just wanted their upper classes in teh film, instead of giving some notice to their lower classes

I guess they assumed that Bruce wanted to help those who had the means to help themselves ya know
I dunno I am trying to think how many indian tales revolve around lower class people, maybe its an in depth cultural thing

Lonely Informer

20,165 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Mark Twain 100
Min Shade
It's true India is much more than just slums. They have produced plenty of scientists, doctors, Merchant-Ivory films, and bla bla bla. But if they don't want others to show the slums, they can damn well clean them up. >_<

And this is just a dumb comicbook movie that is not calculated to make you think carefully about things...I haven't seen the movie, but comic books tend to be action oriented and simple enough for kids to enjoy. So they go with stereotypes. You don't need layered, complex characters with slow character development to produce action stories. You want a good guy, a bad guy, and a situation where you have to act fast. Every place is stripped of its unnecessary details, not just Calcutta/Bombay/whatever Indian city it was. New York City is stereotyped as a big generic urban landscape, not "ok here we go into the history of Peter Stuyvesant and the Netherlands vs England, and here are some wonderful community gardens and here's a nice little Quaker church" --- no no no. You don't want to confuse the casual reader with a fully rendered book of pictures. You want a quick sketch as background for the characters.

I agree and know there are areas of india that are breathtaking and honestly think the country has done amazing things for the world on a whole
but I mean ya cant have good without the bad, and I mean every country has an image of slums and suffering

hobo towns in the USA, the lines of soviet russian, slums of India, mexico being so bad people flee from it to the USA, and list goes on
and like you said vice versa, everyone thinks america is nothing but skyscrappers and everyones rich and famous

exactly if this was a in depth cultural documentary, real life drama, true story, or even a serious movie, then yes be upset, but your complaining about a movie that kids, nerds, geeks, jocks, parents, and even just action movie junkies are lined up for
none of these people see a movie and think of the suffering of the people in real life, nobody is sitting there, I cant believe that place is like that
were all thinking when does the fighting start, or when does the Hulk start smashing

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff