Welcome to Gaia! ::

6,100 Points
  • Member 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Consumer 100
I don't get why it seems everyone just focuses on Daredevil. Sure it was a Super Hero role but at the same time should we really judge that one movie for every single thing the actor involved has done? Besides Always felt Daredevil wasn't the actors fault and more a scripting and directing fail.

Liberal Ladykiller

8,450 Points
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Alchemy Level 3 100
Captain Talavar
mihaela
keepthelightson
I feel like Ben Affleck will turn Batman into a joke just like George Clooney did. Just because someone is a good actor doesn't mean they're good for every role.

I'm with you on that one. I think it's just not the best choice, especially after Nolan's trilogy being so recent. Those are hard shoes to fill.

Bale's/Nolan's Batman:

1) Had a crappy voice.
2) Was insanely inconsistent about his no killing rule.
3) Was not a detective at all.
4) Quit twice in his career for entirely selfish reasons.
5) Had a shitty, over-complicated costume that looked like a jigsaw puzzle.

He had his flaws. I'm still waiting for the definitive Batman. So far Michael Keaton is still the best. At least until you realize Adam West was the closest to the comic Batman, when you consider how goofy Batman comics were at the time.

I can't say I agree with your reasoning. The flaws you see are very subjective, and personally I hardly adhere to them. Furthermore, the films in themselves bring so much more than just the one character to the forefront, regardless of what you might think about how Batman was portrayed.

Definitely, for me, it's too soon, and such a Hollywood move to make. *sigh*

Fashionable Lunatic

Captain Talavar
Hidden Gnomes

Why am I being summoned? ninja

To tell us why people don't like Daredevil/Ben Affleck please sugar sweetie? sweatdrop
mihaela
Captain Talavar
mihaela
keepthelightson
I feel like Ben Affleck will turn Batman into a joke just like George Clooney did. Just because someone is a good actor doesn't mean they're good for every role.

I'm with you on that one. I think it's just not the best choice, especially after Nolan's trilogy being so recent. Those are hard shoes to fill.

Bale's/Nolan's Batman:

1) Had a crappy voice.

He had his flaws. I'm still waiting for the definitive Batman. So far Michael Keaton is still the best. At least until you realize Adam West was the closest to the comic Batman, when you consider how goofy Batman comics were at the time.

I can't say I agree with your reasoning. The flaws you see are very subjective, and personally I hardly adhere to them. Furthermore, the films in themselves bring so much more than just the one character to the forefront, regardless of what you might think about how Batman was portrayed.

I can back all of those up pretty well.

1) The voice was way over the top. If he's going to try and disguise his voice he would be better off using something more subtle. It's just cartoonish.

2) He makes a huge deal out of the idea that he's not a killer and refuses to kill. Except he allows Ra's to die in a train crash he is responsible for creating. Then he saves the Joker. Why could he allow Ra's, his former friend and mentor, to die and then save the life of the Joker, the man responsible for the death of his girlfriend? Then he outright kills Harvey Dent in a scenario that any competent Batman could diffuse with a batarang, a smoke pellet, and some patience. He also doesn't mind at all that Catwoman kills Bane. So yeah. Wildly inconsistent.

3) He wasn't a detective. That's one of the most important parts of Batman. Heck, he first appeared in Detective Comics #27. This Batman? When Harvey and Rachel are kidnapped, his bright idea is to beat it out of the Joker and scream "WHERE ARE THEY!?" When he needs to find him later, he just borrows technology someone else invented to make a shortcut to him, invading the privacy of everyone in Gotham in a way that would make the NSA proud.

4) There's only one reason I could buy it where Batman would quit: dead Robin. Otherwise, no quitting. This Batman quit twice. The first time it was because Rachel died. Batman's mission isn't just stopping organized crime. It's about stopping crime, period. To make sure no one ever has to go through what he went through. All it takes is one man with a gun. So what we're left with is boohoo Rachel. The second time he just rides off into the sunset with Selina even though Gotham is still very much a warzone.

5) I understand going for some sense of realism and giving him body armor but look at it. It wasn't so bad in the first one but in the other two it's ridiculously over-complicated. It actually looks like it inhibits his movement. The bat symbol is so tiny and barely raised against a solid black background that you can barely see it, making it look redundant and pointless.

They may be good films but the depiction of Batman isn't all that great. If you're going to adapt the character to film it should be a priority to get him right. No amount of laughable pseudo-philosophical/political monologues can make up for a Batman who isn't Batman.

You might think it's too soon to reboot and retcon but the comics do it all the time. It was inevitable. Besides, the story of Nolan's not-quite-Batman had a pretty definitive ending. Continuing from that would cheapen it. It's time for a new Batman. Maybe this time they'll get it right.

Dapper Rogue

1,850 Points
  • Battle: Rogue 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Cart Raider 100
I don't know if Aflec will be a good or bad batman, but DC is working up to their justice league movie, so if Aflec isn't the batman they were hoping for he can be replaced for the next movies.

Liberal Ladykiller

8,450 Points
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Alchemy Level 3 100
Captain Talavar
mihaela
Captain Talavar
mihaela
keepthelightson

Bale's/Nolan's Batman:

1) Had a crappy voice.

I can back all of those up pretty well.

1) The voice was way over the top. If he's going to try and disguise his voice he would be better off using something more subtle. It's just cartoonish.

2) He makes a huge deal out of the idea that he's not a killer and refuses to kill. Except he allows Ra's to die in a train crash he is responsible for creating. Then he saves the Joker. Why could he allow Ra's, his former friend and mentor, to die and then save the life of the Joker, the man responsible for the death of his girlfriend? Then he outright kills Harvey Dent in a scenario that any competent Batman could diffuse with a batarang, a smoke pellet, and some patience. He also doesn't mind at all that Catwoman kills Bane. So yeah. Wildly inconsistent.

3) He wasn't a detective. That's one of the most important parts of Batman. Heck, he first appeared in Detective Comics #27. This Batman? When Harvey and Rachel are kidnapped, his bright idea is to beat it out of the Joker and scream "WHERE ARE THEY!?" When he needs to find him later, he just borrows technology someone else invented to make a shortcut to him, invading the privacy of everyone in Gotham in a way that would make the NSA proud.

4) There's only one reason I could buy it where Batman would quit: dead Robin. Otherwise, no quitting. This Batman quit twice. The first time it was because Rachel died. Batman's mission isn't just stopping organized crime. It's about stopping crime, period. To make sure no one ever has to go through what he went through. All it takes is one man with a gun. So what we're left with is boohoo Rachel. The second time he just rides off into the sunset with Selina even though Gotham is still very much a warzone.

5) I understand going for some sense of realism and giving him body armor but look at it. It wasn't so bad in the first one but in the other two it's ridiculously over-complicated. It actually looks like it inhibits his movement. The bat symbol is so tiny and barely raised against a solid black background that you can barely see it, making it look redundant and pointless.

They may be good films but the depiction of Batman isn't all that great. If you're going to adapt the character to film it should be a priority to get him right. No amount of laughable pseudo-philosophical/political monologues can make up for a Batman who isn't Batman.

You might think it's too soon to reboot and retcon but the comics do it all the time. It was inevitable. Besides, the story of Nolan's not-quite-Batman had a pretty definitive ending. Continuing from that would cheapen it. It's time for a new Batman. Maybe this time they'll get it right.

1. This is so subjective I can't even.

2. I find this to be entirely human, and makes the character even better for it. Things are not clear-cut.

3. I'm not familiar with the comic book version of Batman because of reasons, but I've never thought "detective" as Batman's defining trait. This is just me, though. I grew up with an entirely different headcanon of Batman, and I'm probably more adaptable than the average hardcore fan. Obviously.

4. The film series had to have drama and an actual ending. Maybe not the best choices here, but I can't fault them outright.

5. Not much of a concern for me. I know fans will either hate it with a passion or love it unconditionally, regardless of what it looks like. Personally, I've seen worse (see, George Clooney as Batman... and very perky nipples... and just... dude!). My standards are flexible.

You're not seriously comparing the creative process behind comic books with that resulting in a cinematographic experience, as well as the density of output relative to both, are you? *sigh*

Getting it right? Some may say that has already occurred. Just a thought.

And, Hell, have six Batman films per year if that's going to make you happy, but I'm personally sick of reboots at every opportunity. I'm old-fashioned like that; I can wait months and *gasp* years between different adaptations of the exact same thing. And this would be my final word on this.

Dapper Rogue

1,850 Points
  • Battle: Rogue 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Cart Raider 100
i just realized i put Aflec as in the car insurrence instead of Affleck, i'm sorry. xd
mihaela
1. This is so subjective I can't even.

2. I find this to be entirely human, and makes the character even better for it. Things are not clear-cut.

3. I'm not familiar with the comic book version of Batman because of reasons, but I've never thought "detective" as Batman's defining trait. This is just me, though. I grew up with an entirely different headcanon of Batman, and I'm probably more adaptable than the average hardcore fan. Obviously.

4. The film series had to have drama and an actual ending. Maybe not the best choices here, but I can't fault them outright.

5. Not much of a concern for me. I know fans will either hate it with a passion or love it unconditionally, regardless of what it looks like. Personally, I've seen worse (see, George Clooney as Batman... and very perky nipples... and just... dude!). My standards are flexible.

You're not seriously comparing the creative process behind comic books with that resulting in a cinematographic experience, as well as the density of output relative to both, are you? *sigh*

Getting it right? Some may say that has already occurred. Just a thought.

And, Hell, have six Batman films per year if that's going to make you happy, but I'm personally sick of reboots at every opportunity. I'm old-fashioned like that; I can wait months and *gasp* years between different adaptations of the exact same thing. And this would be my final word on this.

1) Fair enough I suppose.

2) Except these inconsistencies were clearly not intentional. If they were trying to humanize him, then such difficulties and inconsistencies with his "no killing" policy should have been addressed by the characters within the story, but they never were. Instead it's just poorly handled.

3) I don't know what incarnation of Batman you grew up with, but the Batman I'm familiar with was a detective through and through. Again, he first appeared in Detective Comics #27 and Detective Comics has always been, and still is, a mainstay among the Batman comic lineup. His skills as a detective were prominently featured in the classic 90s animated series, and are again a focal point in the Arkham video games. It's not like he used to be a detective 70 years ago and then stopped. Being a detective is one of the single most important aspects of his character, and they completely left it out.

4) Batman's been around for 74 years so far and there's been plenty of drama without him quitting. One of the stories The Dark Knight Rises is clearly and intentionally inspired by, The Dark Knight Returns, has a much better excuse for why he would quit (a dead Robin) and gives him a much better ending where he doesn't just ride off into the sunset to play happy time with Selina in Europe. If the story was in their minds, and it clearly was, then it should have occurred to them how silly it is to make Batman so selfish. It's particularly glaring when the whole point of the character revolves around selflessness.

5) Oh yeah, there were far worse costumes than Bale's, don't get me wrong. I remember the nipples and the weirdness from the Kilmer/Clooney films. I'm just saying, Bale's costume in 2/3s of the trilogy is still crappy. The one good thing I can say about the puzzle-piece costume is that they figured out how to allow him to turn his head and give him a posable neck, something none of the other costumes (at least from Keaton on) were able to do. And I hope they keep that concept in mind for the new look, however it works out.
BATMANNNNN

Fashionable Shopper

5,350 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Person of Interest 200
If Ben wasn't Batman, I might see it. Since he is, I know I will not see it. Or if I do, it will be for free. Then again, I do not like Ben in anything.

Fashionable Lunatic

Frank_Iero_is_my_hero
If Ben wasn't Batman, I might see it. Since he is, I know I will not see it. Or if I do, it will be for free. Then again, I do not like Ben in anything.

Why is it so that you hate Ben?

Fashionable Shopper

5,350 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Person of Interest 200
Hidden Gnomes
Frank_Iero_is_my_hero

Why is it so that you hate Ben?

I do not like his acting in anything I've ever seen of his. To me, it comes across as fake and a bit too trying, like he's trying too hard.

Cute Receiver

11,150 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Signature Look 250
  • Perfect Attendance 400
keepthelightson

It wasn't Clooney who turned batman into a joke... it was Joel Schumacher... Clooney didn't exactly help... but it wasn't really his fault.
My_Clara
I don't know if Aflec will be a good or bad batman, but DC is working up to their justice league movie, so if Aflec isn't the batman they were hoping for he can be replaced for the next movies.

I like that their making a Justic League movie but I don't like how they just went straight to it. I thought the whole openeing with the Avengers was great because they made the movies about the characters in the avenger but i think they should also do that with JLA but I want to see how it ends out

Shy Risk-Taker

8,400 Points
  • Mega Tipsy 100
  • Battle: KO 200
  • Trick or Treat 100
WTFOMGITZOK
can't wait for the new batman.. heard it has Ben Affleck in it burning_eyes

I have many expectations. I really like the last Batman, but It's impossible to know if he can do this well!!

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff