Welcome to Gaia! ::

4,400 Points
  • Befriended 100
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Forum Regular 100
Before last April I had never even run a mile in my life. When I was younger I had very bad asthma and even into my adulthood I was plagued by the occasional attack. When I met my partner, he and I began taking walks to help build up our stamina so that we could do some backpacking around Europe. He, his mother, and his sister are all distance runners and I felt somewhat embarrassed by my lack of physical fitness. After just a few walks, I decided (right on the spot, I might add) that I would try to run. I began slowly and figured I could run for about 2-3 minutes before I'd need to stop. My partner discouraged me from trying, worried that I would have an attack and hurt myself. I ran past the first telephone pole, then the second, then the third...before we knew it I had ran 1.3 miles! We were both shocked, but overjoyed that I had not needed an inhaler. I simply took slow, deep breaths and paced myself slowly.

That was a little less than a year ago. On March 10, I finished the Gate River Run 15k without ever walking. I could not have done it without the love, support, and coaching of my partner and our family. I plan to run the Dinsey Wine and Dine Half-Marathon later this year!

Determination, education, and patience with yourself can make just about any dream come true.

Shirtless Hellraiser

16,625 Points
  • Jack-pot 100
  • Battle: Rogue 100
  • Cheercrusher 50
Ripley_Toronto
Before last April I had never even run a mile in my life. When I was younger I had very bad asthma and even into my adulthood I was plagued by the occasional attack. When I met my partner, he and I began taking walks to help build up our stamina so that we could do some backpacking around Europe. He, his mother, and his sister are all distance runners and I felt somewhat embarrassed by my lack of physical fitness. After just a few walks, I decided (right on the spot, I might add) that I would try to run. I began slowly and figured I could run for about 2-3 minutes before I'd need to stop. My partner discouraged me from trying, worried that I would have an attack and hurt myself. I ran past the first telephone pole, then the second, then the third...before we knew it I had ran 1.3 miles! We were both shocked, but overjoyed that I had not needed an inhaler. I simply took slow, deep breaths and paced myself slowly.

That was a little less than a year ago. On March 10, I finished the Gate River Run 15k without ever walking. I could not have done it without the love, support, and coaching of my partner and our family. I plan to run the Dinsey Wine and Dine Half-Marathon later this year!

Determination, education, and patience with yourself can make just about any dream come true.

Awesome - thanks for sharing your inspirational story! Just goes to show that with practice, discipline, and dedication, we can achieve our fitness goals. Well done - very proud of you! biggrin

- Sisky

4,400 Points
  • Befriended 100
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Forum Regular 100
siskataya
Ripley_Toronto

Awesome - thanks for sharing your inspirational story! Just goes to show that with practice, discipline, and dedication, we can achieve our fitness goals. Well done - very proud of you! biggrin

- Sisky

Thanks so much! biggrin
That's awesome! Congratulations! I also suffered from severe asthma. As a young adult of 21 years I'm getting close to my graduation and will need to take a fitness test to become an officer soon. I have just started working out. Taking it slow. Hopefully I'll be where I want to be in a year! Thank you for your story!
I've WALKED a mile for Gym Class. It was pretty hardcore. I got all the dates after that.
I am not much on running but I sure am going to start doing it. Thanks for the post.

Attacking Fatcat

27,050 Points
  • Unbreakable Bond 150
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Partygoer 500
I might try to start running now.

Kawaii Cub

I know that feel bro. User Image

I always nearly failed those fitness test in school. I could barely run a mile in 15 minutes, then many years later, I started running last December, and I can run 10k under an hour.

Noob

heart emotion_kirakira

This is beautiful!
Rohmi
Ripley_Toronto

Really if you have Determination, education, and patience then you can win the whole world.Thanks for inspiration,This is a very good inspiration for me and all.

good job! my first 15km run will be on July 15, 2012. I need to log more miles/km because July 15 is near. I will probably walk few km because of lack of practice due to the rainy seasons weather.
aw yaaay good for you!! biggrin
Haha, made me smile.
Great story and I'm glad you're doing well!
Such an amazing story. Thank you so much for the inspiration. I only just started running myself, and this helped me reach my first 2.5 milestone tonight. All I kept thinking was if you can do it, so can I, and I will not give up. Thank you again and keep up the amazing work. :3
Ripley_Toronto

surprised That's such a good story!!! xd I really hope you keep up running!! Don't give up!

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff