Welcome to Gaia! ::

Goodluck dear ♥
but you should really cut down on the pizza thing though o.o just once a week would be nice
Well,i'm a vegetarian myself, not vegan so i eats cheese, industrial produced eggs and drinks milk.Cause my aim of being vegetarian is actually to save the little animals. so if you could try turning yourself to vegetarian then only to vegan. it should be much easier
Its good that your making the change. I to was pretty much a carnivore up until about two years ago. Now im skinny, and so so healthy. My skin used to get bumply, like a less severe form of eczema, that's all gone now. My teeth are whiter, my hair grows thicker and faster, even my eye sight has improved. Your brain works better, your digestive system from top to bottom works better and your immune system becomes immense. I haven't been sick in 2 years, I used to be sickly all the time. Even my d**k is bigger, no joke, must be to do with having better blood pressure? lol

My doctor loves me. And so does my girlfriend xD

I went from carnivore to vegan overnight. I found it easy because I was essentially traumatised by the information I learned over the course of a few months. The more I researched the more I became disturbed by the hardships the people, animals and environments involved contend with just so I could be a fat greedy ********. Then I learned about the nutritional benefits, as well as the biology behind eating a vegan diet. On top of that, I learned about the human history, and steadily debunked all the myths and bullshit about humans being natural omnivores.

So my advice to you would be to jump in to the facts. Read, read, read. Go onto TED.com, there's lots of good talks on there. Watch documentaries; Food inc. and Earthlings are good places to start. Because you have years and years of lies and heresay to correct.

As for recipes. I would start with stir frys, currys, stews, pizza, soups...that sort of thing. Theres no shortage of easy recipes out there. Im a crappy cook, but still manage to make awesome dishes. I would also indulge alot. Vegan icecream, fudge, chocolates..go crazy. Dont live off of them! but veganism is as much about indulgence than anything else smile Besides, vegan treats are a butt load healthier, its like a glitch in the matrix...healthy junk food smile

Eat alot of starchy food at first, because your body is used to having to digest meat. And meat will sit and rot in your digestive tract for days, it also bloats you and your stomach. Eating a large amount of starchy food will help with the transition. You'll also find that your body will nuke everything you eat. Vegetables will be digested within a few hours, wear as meat takes days, so your body will take a few weeks to adjust to an easier life lol

Stay away from eating alot of bread, bread will mimic the bloating meat gives, and its this that you may crave for a while. Rice, potatoes, sweet potatoes, chickpeas..that sorta thing. Mix it in with alot of different types of veggies, keep it diverse. Keep your fruit intake good and you'll feel the benefits, ALOT OF THEM, within a week. Your energy will sky rocket! your health and weight will drastically improved if done properly.

The amount of people ive seen slagging off veganism because all they ate was bread and apples -.-

Eat often, eat well and rock on biggrin If you need anymore advice just ask, its always good to have someone whos been there done that to help you through the transition. BE EXCITED! this is the best decision you'll ever make smile a true life changer biggrin

p.s. sorry about the amount of writing, but i hope it helped razz im a ranter
Baby Chelsie
Goodluck dear ♥
but you should really cut down on the pizza thing though o.o just once a week would be nice
Well,i'm a vegetarian myself, not vegan so i eats cheese, industrial produced eggs and drinks milk.Cause my aim of being vegetarian is actually to save the little animals. so if you could try turning yourself to vegetarian then only to vegan. it should be much easier

Hey, its awesome that your a veggie, but if your aim is to "save the little animals" then veganism is still applicable.

Eggs production doesn't require male chickens, so any male chicks that come from the eggs are killed within hours of hatching. Often put onto a production line that leads to a grinder, gassed or having their throats slit. In any one battery farm, or industrial farm as you called it, hundreds of thousands of male chicks are slaughtered without ever having lived.

Milk production also don't require male calf's, so they will be killed within hours also, or sent away for veal.

The values and moral ethics involved in vegetarianism applies to veganism also.

Aged Lunatic

3,400 Points
  • Informer 100
  • Signature Look 250
  • Market Browser 100
I have this book:

Ultimate Uncheese Cookbook

It's a lot cheaper and healthier to make your own vegan cheese. heart

Blessed Seeker

What an amazing thread I've stumbled into. : )
Thanks to a different but similar thread, i was able to watch 2 short documentaries on cows and baby chicks. Truly disturbing. I commend you for going vegan. I have yet to follow suit.
Good job and keep at it!

Blessed Seeker

Daniel.EM

Thank you for sharing your experiences in going vegan. It truly has inspired me to follow suit. I have a few questions for you:

1. Which complete protein-filled alternatives do you recommend?
2. I've heard about how we were naturally designed omnivores. I am prepared to read/watch what you've come across that debunks that. Which books/website/YouTube video do you recommend checking out?
3. Which type of carbs do you recommend? Is it mandatory to have simple carbs as PART of our healthy eating or ONLY complex carbs? If so, which foods are high in complex carbs?
4. I've heard about how vegans may feel faint sometimes and fatigued. Is this true for you? I want to make sure I do this right if I am to go full on vegan.

Thanks so much for your time!
Spirit Reborn
Daniel.EM

Thank you for sharing your experiences in going vegan. It truly has inspired me to follow suit. I have a few questions for you:

1. Which complete protein-filled alternatives do you recommend?
2. I've heard about how we were naturally designed omnivores. I am prepared to read/watch what you've come across that debunks that. Which books/website/YouTube video do you recommend checking out?
3. Which type of carbs do you recommend? Is it mandatory to have simple carbs as PART of our healthy eating or ONLY complex carbs? If so, which foods are high in complex carbs?
4. I've heard about how vegans may feel faint sometimes and fatigued. Is this true for you? I want to make sure I do this right if I am to go full on vegan.

Thanks so much for your time!

1. Vegan protein sources.
User Image

2. This is a lie. We can put meat in our mouth, it gets digested eventually. We fed cows meat, and it caused them harsh health repercussions. We feel a huge list of negative health repercussions in a similar fashion. We feed dogs vegetables, they can live off it, but they feel the repercussions in time also.

If we were meant to eat meat, then it would be digested effectively, without these repercussions.

When people think about omnivorous man they like to think about ice age hunters, or tribesman. It is important to recognise that shopping for taste and hunting for necessity are two very different contexts.

Most tribes reserve their meat for the men, who only experience a 1% hunting success rate. So for much of our history, 50% of the population (the women) have been vegan.

The mayans, the egyptians, the mesopotamians all fed their people starchy foods. Corn, rice, potatoe. Meat was reserved for the rich and the royal, so 99% of the populations were vegan. We know that hunting wasn't an option because of the vast populations, hunting local wildlife reguarly would not be sustainable.

It wasn't until the bronze age and industrial age that middle class people and lower had the access to meat.

Man has always taken advantage of opportunity. If that meant hunting to subsidise a diet during hard times or cross environment migrations, then they would. That doesn't mean evolution caught up to their decisions.

Rape, cannibalism, murder...all things we've done since the dawn of our species. No one says that just because its natural, we should tolerate it in a civilized society. Meat eating is an exception to that, for reasons I dont understand.

As for books and websites. Everywhere lol. Go onto TED.com...watch documentaries like FOOD inc and earthlings. The information is readily available. Hop on google, go crazy.

Here is a decent list of biological reasons why we are herbivorous.

User Image

I recommend watching this. A very qualified and intelligent individual. A doctor and nutritionist, a leader of his field. He will tell you the evidence behind our true diet and its rewards.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5wfMNNr3ak

Its better coming from a qualified professionals mouth than some random dude on gaia.
If you have any questions past this just ask smile

I've never experienced it before. You have to keep in mind milk, eggs and meat offer nothing nutritionally, so skipping them wouldn't cause any harm to your health. What will, is a bad diet.

Milk = the calcium equivalent to that of a few spinach leaves and ******** all else
Eggs = cholesterol, and a pinch of protein
Meat = around 40g of protein, which isnt alot, aswell as alot of bad fats and cholesterol

If a person is experiencing fatique, it is because he/she is skipping a meal, or just living off of apples or something lol. Eat diverse and eat alot. Vegetebles, fruit, legumes, nuts and starchy carbs. You will feel fantastic, take it from someone who knows.

Stir fry, stews, soups, pizza, currys...you wont find it hard to feed yourself well. Not to mention all the vegan goodies out there biggrin Veganism is an indulgence, not just a "do the right thing" scenario.

Hope this helps, always happy to help out someone with good intentions smile

Dont ever let yourself forget the faces, the screams. Its hidden, and easy to ignore, but they are there regardless. 9 billion of them a year.

Also, to save your own brain. Dont try to save the world, dont bother trying to convince people. Set an example, look damn good doing it, and people will come to you. But if a dude wants an argument, shut em down ;D

Blessed Seeker

Daniel.EM
Hope this helps, always happy to help out someone with good intentions smile

Dont ever let yourself forget the faces, the screams. Its hidden, and easy to ignore, but they are there regardless. 9 billion of them a year.

Also, to save your own brain. Dont try to save the world, dont bother trying to convince people. Set an example, look damn good doing it, and people will come to you. But if a dude wants an argument, shut em down ;D

Most of this was quite enlightening for me- a real opener. Thank you once again for responding and for giving such detailed and helpful info to get me started : )
At the moment, I'm looking for a job. So once I have a steady financial flow coming in, I'll definitely change my eating lifestyle. I've already reduced the amount of meat I normally consume significantly.

Witty Genius

9,150 Points
  • Generous 100
  • Consumer 100
  • Contributor 150
Good luck.~

I went vegetarian a few years ago, around 5?
I used to eat meat everyday and I suddenly stopped.

Vegan is different from vegetarian, but you stated you love cheese so my opinion is cutting out only meat and you can eat cheese and other things, but you don't have to eat the other stuff.

Remember, it's just a label.. And a lifestyle change. If it's not permanent, don't do it.

And I suggest no baby steps, just do it. It sounds hard(it is at first) but if it's something you really want it should have more benefits than not.~

good luck~

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces