Welcome to Gaia! ::

Lashtal's Wife

Advanced Punk

22,900 Points
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Fusion Master 1000
  • Hellraiser 500
My grandma died on this day, in 1996 when I was 4.

Why does this holiday have to be on this day?
I always am reminded of watching her her die painfully and slowly in that weird smelling hospital, every time I see or think about this ******** day.
It's not ******** lucky, I'm reminded over and over that the anniversary of her death is drawing near when all this st Patricks day stuff comes out. (IRL and online)
I know it has nothing to do with her death, nor do I have anything against Ireland or anything. I just wanted to get this off my chest.

I miss you and love you grandma.

Menacing Shoujo

Coincidence, ok?

Lashtal's Wife

Advanced Punk

22,900 Points
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Fusion Master 1000
  • Hellraiser 500
Okay.

I still can't stand this holiday.

Being happy or excited about this day isn't even possible for me.

Questionable Warlord

People died on your birthday, you don't see them cursing that day either. It's okay to grief but maybe it's time to let go? yum_tea
P.S. I doubt St. Patrick's day was even celebrated in your country at that time.
Edit: Not intended to offend you but is it really necessary to bring this into this forum out of all?

Kawaii Gatekeeper

It's always been on this day.

In a relationship with a fictitious character

Monster Lover

My boyfriend lost his grandpa on this day as well and he despises it. So I can see why you feel that way.

Adorable Fairy

17,325 Points
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Protector of Cuteness 150
  • Object of Affection 150

Come on, guys, it won't kill you to show a little sympathy.

Ferocious Warrior

31,475 Points
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Screeching Savior 100
  • Master Slayer 200
If it's any consolation, my own grandmother died a few days before Xmas. That hurt a lot.

Aged Gaian

24,675 Points
  • Divorced 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Supreme Supporter 500
I'm sorry for your loss, but isn't it better to think that it kind of WAS
a lucky day, for her. She's not hurting anymore?
She got to leave her hurting body behind.

Aged Fox

I'm sorry I just can't grasp the idea of hating a day because someone died on it. People die, that is an absolute fact of life. Heck my grandpa died on my birthday a few years back. That didn't keep me from hating my birthday forever after.
its a curse

I always am reminded of watching her her die painfully and slowly in that weird smelling hospital, every time I see or think about this ******** day.
It's not ******** lucky, I'm reminded over and over that the anniversary of her death is drawing near when all this st Patricks day stuff comes out. (IRL and online)
I know it has nothing to do with her death, nor do I have anything against Ireland or anything. I just wanted to get this off my chest.

**hugs** It's okay to hate this holiday. It's a stupid one anyway. It's a made up date to commemorate a Catholic priest. He didn't drive any snakes out of Ireland like the myth says. He helped bring Catholicism to the people and he helped turn the invading hoards into Christians. That's what he really did. He was no saint in living his life for real, he was actually a bugger in many ways if you read about him in history books. So, please don't celebrate this fictional holiday, I certainly don't. It's just and Irish holiday mainly and the Catholics tagged it because some pope made Maewyn Succat into St Patrick.

Moonlight Healer

I'm sorry for you loss. Try thinking about it like this: your grandmother would want you to enjoy life instead of looking back on bad memories. You'll be in my prayers. <83

Tipsy Prophet

its a curse

We all deal with associations the best we can. My wife jokes the Irish sing when we are happy and sing much louder when we are sad. (I am first-generation American, but raised in a very Irish household.) If there is a group that would feel your pain along with you, it is the Irish. So on behalf of my Da's people, go ahead and hate St. Patrick's day. We'll mourn with you and love you anyway.

Shaggy Loverboy

i don't care for st. paddy's day either, but it's not like the holiday was specifically established because your grandma died. emotion_eyebrow

sorry for your loss, though.
its a curse
Okay.

I still can't stand this holiday.

Being happy or excited about this day isn't even possible for me.

Actually, it's a Holy Day for Catholics, not a holiday. Holidays are when you go on vacation or fun times. Some people will use anything as an excuse to get drunk and have a party. Ignore the idiots and just think of March 17 as any other day.

It's a matter of perspective. For you, it's too fresh in your heart and mind that your beloved grandma died then. In time, things will be less painful. Yes, you will feel it on 3/17, but not as much as you do now.

Take it from someone who lost her husband on a specific date. When that date rolls around, I dread the day, but you know what, I make it through the day just fine. The first year or two/three/four were really tough, but then it got a lot better. Now, 14yrs later, I know the date is coming and I go, ok, it's coming, but it's a date. I will remember the good times with my special someone, but I won't let it ruin my whole day for me. Now, I celebrate that person's life by going to his favorite restaurant, sharing a his favorite meal with my daughter and we remember the good stuff.

You will do it too, it will just take time. Remember your grandma, think of the good things or something special just the two of you had. And next year when March 17th rolls around, plan to do something to celebrate her life, not dread that she died on it.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff