Total Votes:[ 53 ]
< 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 19 20 21 > >>

Familiar Friend

13,850 Points
  • Threadmaster 200
  • Generous 100
  • Millionaire 200
notJanieJones
If you've got some spare time on your hands you should consider joining a league instead of just watching. Chances are your local league needs skaters and refs.

I'm bad at skating and I don't want to get hurt. sad

Familiar Friend

13,850 Points
  • Threadmaster 200
  • Generous 100
  • Millionaire 200
PukeFacedFreak
notJanieJones
If you've got some spare time on your hands you should consider joining a league instead of just watching. Chances are your local league needs skaters and refs.

I'm bad at skating and I don't want to get hurt. sad

Also, my ex coaches the league I know about, haha.
I was awful at skating when I first started. I had never been on 4 wheeled skates before. I still have nights where I show up to practice and I just feel like I suck, but then I think about my first practice and I'm like "OK, at least I'm not that bad anymore." If I can learn to do it anyone can.

As for the situation with your ex, you should join a rival league and skate with them. You might have to drive to a neighboring town or something, but it'll save you the awkwardness and if you face his league in a bout at any point you'll be extra motivated to win.

Familiar Friend

13,850 Points
  • Threadmaster 200
  • Generous 100
  • Millionaire 200

I really should be looking for a job right now. sad
Jobs are over rated. (Take it from me. I have two.)

Familiar Friend

13,850 Points
  • Threadmaster 200
  • Generous 100
  • Millionaire 200

Uh... yeah, but jobs pay the bills and rent... and I have to pay those.
This is true.

Familiar Friend

13,850 Points
  • Threadmaster 200
  • Generous 100
  • Millionaire 200

Found out my ex isn't involved with derby anymore. I think it's because he got married in the last 6 months and in the last few months found out he's going to be a daddy.
Well now you have to do it. Seriously, it's great exercise, it's an awesome way to blow off steam, it's fun, and it gives you an excuse to wear fishnets. WIN WIN WIN.
So that tournament I mentioned on page two was yesterday. I had a good time and learned a lot. Over all I would say that I like the new USARS rules. It makes for a much faster paced game. There's a lot more hitting. There are a lot of kinks that need to worked out though, mostly with what qualifies as a penalty, minor vs major etc. With the new rules minor penalties are a one minute trip to the box and majors are a two minute trip. Our team spent a lot more time in the box then usual. The coach and most of the skaters feel that two minutes is too long of a penalty. Also, minor offenses such as cutting the track can now send a skater to the box and it seems a little excessive. They need to reevaluate what qualifies as a penalty if they are going to send skaters to the box for every single one.

Girl-Crazy Cat

14,500 Points
  • Object of Affection 150
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • Love Machine 150
whoah! box for a single minor? Seems excessive, even if it is cutting...

but an introduction! I started skating end of February 2011, I skate in Houston TX with SSRD. Ive only ever played one flat track game, it was interesting to say the least, since I've barely started banked itself.
But being a rookie, many would say I'm pretty good. It came pretty natural to me. Oh, and I'm only 19, they're always poking fun at me for that. Doesn't seem like a big deal until you can't actually get into the after parties alone
Skater name is Barbie. Just Barbie right now. The league gave me my name, because I wore calf-high purple and white skates during my first few months as a bootcamper/ freshmeat
My derby name is still pending, but it's Shirley Wild #311. This was my first bout in general. I've been with the league about two months, so I'm still fresh meat. However, I skated a little bit at the end of last year with another league where I used to live (also for a few months, so derby experience is about 5 months total). Took a long break in between so there was some re-learning to do. When I was skating with that other league last year, I was still 20, so I know what its like to have a hard time getting into your own event/party. I'm 21 now so I don't have to worry about it anymore. I'm still the youngest member of this new league, but that's probably changing as the new batch of fresh meat includes some 18 and 19 year olds.

Anyway, going back to the rules. Apparently under the USARS rules, the refs are supposed to be more lenient about minor penalties because they mean a trip to the box, but our refs were learning along with us so they were calling them the same way. I guess the new way to call for track cutting is not to call it unless you gain position that way or if it's like ridiculous track cutting. So if you cut the track and come back in in front of someone else (usually a major I think by WFTDA standards) then they would call it. We had girls send to the penalty box for having a wheel over the line though.

Another thing that people were getting sent to the box for was blocking while out of play, because with the new rules you have to be within ten feet (as opposed to 20) of the pack to be considered in play. All of the skaters are used to working with 20 feet so that was difficult.

I guess the weirdest thing about USARS rules is that the term "bout" is not accurate. They want to start calling them games and the skaters "players".

Familiar Friend

13,850 Points
  • Threadmaster 200
  • Generous 100
  • Millionaire 200

With the name changing - seems like they are pushing towards proving to the sport world that roller derby is really a sport; "here, we'll prove it. bouts are now called 'games' and skaters are the 'players'." razz
@puke, that's exactly what they're doing. Apparently they want to make the sport more legitimate because it's being considered as a possible Olympic sport. Don't expect to see it there anytime soon, because they have a long way to go, but according to USARS we're "being considered along with other roller sports". I don't know if it will ever really happen.

Familiar Friend

13,850 Points
  • Threadmaster 200
  • Generous 100
  • Millionaire 200

Daily bump.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers