Welcome to Gaia! ::

<3 </3

How long do you think this lockout will last?

One - three weeks 0 0.0% [ 0 ]
One month 0 0.0% [ 0 ]
One month + 0.26666666666667 26.7% [ 4 ]
Half the season 0.066666666666667 6.7% [ 1 ]
Three fourths of the season 0.066666666666667 6.7% [ 1 ]
The whole season 0.53333333333333 53.3% [ 8 ]
There won't be a lockout. This is just a sick joke 0.066666666666667 6.7% [ 1 ]
Total Votes:[ 15 ]
< 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Space Explorer

18,450 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
Kosai Avonej
Over a 5% difference. It's a whole ********' joke. The previous CBA was suffice, it still should have been. Whats more stupid is they can't just sit down and say "1%? No, okay 2%? alright, 3.5 Final offer" all in the span of under 10 seconds like normal people would, no need to rewrite the whole thing in between. I finally move to Edmonton, a city of which has the cheapest NHL tickets in Canada and they lockout. This is totally stupid. Furthermore, I say legislate them back to work through the government since they are a vital part of Canadian and American economy. Alternatively, call up the farm league boys and suit em up in their pro-team uniform and sign them to million dollar contracts, lets have us some scab hockey.

I understand that they needed to work on a few things. The economy is always changing and the CBA has to reflect those changes. Why they haven't found a happy medium for revenue shares is beyond me. I saw no need to change the length of RFA statuses, EL contracts, and things like that. What they have now had seemed just fine.

At least where you live you have a few minor league teams to watch without making much of a drive.

Space Explorer

18,450 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
x-Goalie Love
It sucks because I've been waiting all summer for NHL to start again ,because i've never been to an LA Kings (My favorite team) game and my dad promised to take me to one when it started up again D:
(i live just outside of detroit though...)

How did you become a Kings fan living in Detroit? Were you going to go to LA to see them play? I'm sorry you have to wait even longer to see them. But hey, you're only about 2 1/2 hours away from Grand Rapids! If you've never been to a Griffins game, I suggest you go.

Space Explorer

18,450 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
Klesla
This is so ridiculous. I've spent a fortune for buying their merchandise, game tickets and the like. Now that $$$ I've spent working my a** for buying the merchandise, and now it's going to waste just because of this stupid lockout. Such a shame, Bettman. Such a shame.

The NHL and the NHLPA literally had the whole summer to make a decision on the CBA anyway.

Isn't it cruel how money has so much control over... everything? If all they had to do was make some tweaks to contract lengths and whatnot, this would've been finished a lot sooner. I was kind of listening to Bettman's press conference on the radio the other day and I could have sworn he said they wanted to start talking about this last November, but the players wanted to wait until the season was over, and then they waited for the Playoffs to end, and then they waited even longer. Maybe I misheard, but if that's true, OMFG this whole thing could've been avoided?!

Tipsy Sweetheart

8,600 Points
  • Love Machine 150
  • Survivor 150
  • Pie Hoarder by Proxy 150
killlerbabies
Klesla
This is so ridiculous. I've spent a fortune for buying their merchandise, game tickets and the like. Now that $$$ I've spent working my a** for buying the merchandise, and now it's going to waste just because of this stupid lockout. Such a shame, Bettman. Such a shame.

The NHL and the NHLPA literally had the whole summer to make a decision on the CBA anyway.

Isn't it cruel how money has so much control over... everything? If all they had to do was make some tweaks to contract lengths and whatnot, this would've been finished a lot sooner. I was kind of listening to Bettman's press conference on the radio the other day and I could have sworn he said they wanted to start talking about this last November, but the players wanted to wait until the season was over, and then they waited for the Playoffs to end, and then they waited even longer. Maybe I misheard, but if that's true, OMFG this whole thing could've been avoided?!

I agree with the statement of how money has the control of everything. It does, and there is proof. An example is that it's proven that both sides doesn't give a ******** about fans, and now the players are whining just because they want a raise? Just imagine average people just wishing let alone earning one million dollars in their lifetime. Players shouldnt be forgetting where they came from and that their parents made such a sacrifice for them to play the sport they love...
And yeah this lockout is completely avoidable. If both sides were committed to make a decision, then they would meet everyday just get a decision settled

Btw, sorry about the mini rant above...

Shy Kitten

killlerbabies
x-Goalie Love
It sucks because I've been waiting all summer for NHL to start again ,because i've never been to an LA Kings (My favorite team) game and my dad promised to take me to one when it started up again D:

How did you become a Kings fan living in Detroit? Were you going to go to LA to see them play? I'm sorry you have to wait even longer to see them. But hey, you're only about 2 1/2 hours away from Grand Rapids! If you've never been to a Griffins game, I suggest you go.

I was watching a wings vs kings game (tv) and i just fell in love with the team and defiantly the goalie <3 And i was going to try and find the most recent/closest game i could :l

Space Explorer

18,450 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
Klesla
killlerbabies
Klesla

I agree with the statement of how money has the control of everything. It does, and there is proof. An example is that it's proven that both sides doesn't give a ******** about fans, and now the players are whining just because they want a raise? Just imagine average people just wishing let alone earning one million dollars in their lifetime. Players shouldnt be forgetting where they came from and that their parents made such a sacrifice for them to play the sport they love...
And yeah this lockout is completely avoidable. If both sides were committed to make a decision, then they would meet everyday just get a decision settled

Quote:
Players shouldnt be forgetting where they came from and that their parents made such a sacrifice for them to play the sport they love...

Quote:
Players shouldnt be forgetting where they came from and that their parents made such a sacrifice for them to play the sport they love...

Quote:

I've been saying the players deserve what they are asking for, but at the same time, dudes, come on. This is your life. It shouldn't be all about the money. I realize this is a risky sport and these athletes retire about 30 years before the average joe so they have to save up for retirement and medical bills they'll no doubt incur because of aches and pains and whatever, but still. I'm pretty sure that is why they get paid millions. Yet you see them driving around in expensive cars and living in mansions with too many rooms. That's totally not necessary. But, ugh, that is where the conflict arises. With them buying these luxuries, it's helping our economy, so how could they be asked to take a massive paycut? This is all too much for my little scatterbrain to handle.

Pretty much my point is: This is about playing hockey in the NHL because that was everybody's dream. You hear stories about how when they were kids, they'd pretend to lift the Stanley Cup when they'd play pond hockey. I've never heard any of them say they were playing hockey, pretending to win the Gagarin Cup. They just need to play the game and, like you said, remember where they came from and know that they're lucky to even make over $60,000 each year.

Mini rants are totally fine!

Space Explorer

18,450 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
x-Goalie Love
killlerbabies
x-Goalie Love

I was watching a wings vs kings game (tv) and i just fell in love with the team and defiantly the goalie <3 And i was going to try and find the most recent/closest game i could :l

Ah, ok. The same thing sort of happened to me with my #2 team, the Jets! They were the Thrashers at the time and they were playing the Canadiens. There wasn't anything on television, so I decided to watch the game. Some of the Thrashers' skaters and their goalie caught my attention and I've been a fan ever since. I got to see them a couple years ago, so I can assure you that when you finally get to see your team in person, it will be AWESOME smile

Fashionable Genius

7,200 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Friendly 100
  • Timid 100
killlerbabies

This is news to me! I thought the Islanders had the worst attendance. The Coyotes worry me. They are only about 20 minutes away from Phoenix, which has a population of around 1.5 million, yet I looked and saw their attendance for last season averaged around 12k. You'd think people would want to get away from the hot weather and watch some hockey in a nice chilly rink, but... I don't know what their deal is. I expect they'll be relocated in the next decade. ALTHOUGH, with the way they've been performing lately, maybe more locals will gain an interest. Only time will tell!
I digress, haha.

Yeah, Phoenix is struggling... Their attendance was dead last in the 2011-12 season no matter how you look at it. To look at attendance in percentage, the bottom five teams are Carolina, the Islanders, Columbus, Dallas, and dead last is Phoenix. Now, the Islanders were dead last in the 2010-11 season, but they gained on attendance last season, where as the Coyotes basically were close to the same.

The major problem is that non-traditional hockey markets struggle to gain attendance when the team is struggling... But a team like Toronto can fill their building every game despite not making the playoffs since the 2003-04 season. That's the reason Atlanta has twice now lost a team to Canada. (the Calgary Flames were originally the Atlanta Flames)

But despite the Coyotes struggle, they don't want to give up on the market. Now, personally I would prefer if they'd move Phoenix to a market they'd thrive instead of struggle, but if they can gain enough of a fan base to start making money and they get the ongoing saga of the ownership settled... Good for them.

Kosai Avonej
Over a 5% difference. It's a whole ********' joke. The previous CBA was suffice, it still should have been. Whats more stupid is they can't just sit down and say "1%? No, okay 2%? alright, 3.5 Final offer" all in the span of under 10 seconds like normal people would, no need to rewrite the whole thing in between. I finally move to Edmonton, a city of which has the cheapest NHL tickets in Canada and they lockout. This is totally stupid. Furthermore, I say legislate them back to work through the government since they are a vital part of Canadian and American economy. Alternatively, call up the farm league boys and suit em up in their pro-team uniform and sign them to million dollar contracts, lets have us some scab hockey.

The percentage is only part of the situation. The NHL owners want to change the core economics and make changes to contracts and that sort of thing, where-as the players are happy with how that works under the current agreement. They also have to discuss how they might change revenue sharing to help struggling teams like Phoenix. There are a lot of elements beyond the percentage, yet the only thing either side is budging on at the this time is percentage.

Many of the AHL players who are signed to 2-Way contract are essentially locked out of the NHL, and many of them were sent down to the AHL affiliates before the lockout so they could play during the lockout. Scab hockey would be plain cruel to the players... It's one thing to use replacement players in a strike situation, an entirely different thing to use replacement players when the LEAGUE LOCKED THE PLAYERS OUT.
downhill
Though I dislike Bettman as much as the next guy, it's not completely his fault. It's all the parties involved. Bettman represents the owners, and the owners unanimously agreed to have a lock out if there was no deal in place. And the player's shouldn't get off blame free either, if they wanted what's 'fair' then they should be making far less of what they make right now. It's just Millionaires arguing with Billionaires.

So if your boss came up to and said he wants to take money out of your salary because he was being fiscally irresponsible, you'd be on board with that? Yeah, ok. Btw not all hockey players are multimillionaires, some make only 1 million a year or less. Over half of all NHL players play less that 100 games during their career and for approximately 5 percent of players, their first NHL game is also their last.

Liberal Friend

5,950 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Autobiographer 200
I can't believe this. /:

killlerbabies
The Slapshot
Honestly, I can't believe this. If no agreement is made, this will be the third lockout under Gary Bettman. That's insane.
He needs to go. He has had ample time to get something done and now it's the day of the deadline, hours left before 11:59 pm and no statement has been issued.
How sad is that.
I cannot live with the fact that there will be NO hockey this year.
I honestly wish it were the last option on your poll, "There won't be a lockout. This is just a sick joke"

Hockey is life, Stop threatening to take it away.

Welp.

He's completed his hattrick. I think that's enough and I wholeheartedly agree that he needs to go. This not only affects the players and the fans, it affects the entire organization, it affects the cities that earn revenue from the fans visiting restaurants and shops, it affects the people that work at the rink - from zamboni drivers to the ice girls, it affects a crapton of people!!

I don't know about you, but I can't afford to go to minor league games every week. It's much easier watching the NHL on television. *sigh*

Tipsy Sweetheart

8,600 Points
  • Love Machine 150
  • Survivor 150
  • Pie Hoarder by Proxy 150
killlerbabies
Klesla
killlerbabies
Klesla

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I've been saying the players deserve what they are asking for, but at the same time, dudes, come on. This is your life. It shouldn't be all about the money. I realize this is a risky sport and these athletes retire about 30 years before the average joe so they have to save up for retirement and medical bills they'll no doubt incur because of aches and pains and whatever, but still. I'm pretty sure that is why they get paid millions. Yet you see them driving around in expensive cars and living in mansions with too many rooms. That's totally not necessary. But, ugh, that is where the conflict arises. With them buying these luxuries, it's helping our economy, so how could they be asked to take a massive paycut? This is all too much for my little scatterbrain to handle.

Pretty much my point is: This is about playing hockey in the NHL because that was everybody's dream. You hear stories about how when they were kids, they'd pretend to lift the Stanley Cup when they'd play pond hockey. I've never heard any of them say they were playing hockey, pretending to win the Gagarin Cup. They just need to play the game and, like you said, remember where they came from and know that they're lucky to even make over $60,000 each year.

I am also very baffled why athletes would complain earning that outrageous amount of money. That's sooooo much money just to get by their luxurious life. I understand that they could use some that portion for med bills and at the end still have lots of that money to spare to spend on whatever they want, and still have enough at the end. Thing is, even at the end, most of those guys are still greedy bastards after buying a mansion, or even driving a luxury car? The world's beginning to be money hungry.
Well, it takes a lot of effort for those guys to even reach the NHL level, but it doesn't take a lot of effort to dream to reach the NHL...
These athlete's initial reason of playing hockey even they get older was of their love of the game and trying to pursue the dream of hopefully making to the NHL. When those guys were younger, I'm sure, even it didn't mean earning salary, would still be traveling and playing games against teams in faraway cities and still enjoy being a part of the game, even it means only one shift. Now, most of these players, whose yearly salary is most likely >$1,000,000, would be whining about not earning enough. The ones I'm focusing on are the ones who are way overpaid and never tried their hardest on the ice.

Fashionable Genius

7,200 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Friendly 100
  • Timid 100
Klesla

I am also very baffled why athletes would complain earning that outrageous amount of money. That's sooooo much money just to get by their luxurious life. I understand that they could use some that portion for med bills and at the end still have lots of that money to spare to spend on whatever they want, and still have enough at the end. Thing is, even at the end, most of those guys are still greedy bastards after buying a mansion, or even driving a luxury car? The world's beginning to be money hungry.
Well, it takes a lot of effort for those guys to even reach the NHL level, but it doesn't take a lot of effort to dream to reach the NHL...
These athlete's initial reason of playing hockey even they get older was of their love of the game and trying to pursue the dream of hopefully making to the NHL. When those guys were younger, I'm sure, even it didn't mean earning salary, would still be traveling and playing games against teams in faraway cities and still enjoy being a part of the game, even it means only one shift. Now, most of these players, whose yearly salary is most likely >$1,000,000, would be whining about not earning enough. The ones I'm focusing on are the ones who are way overpaid and never tried their hardest on the ice.

Keep in mind, this is a LOCKOUT, which is imposed by the league. The players would be happy to play under the current system with no deal in place, where as the league was clear that they won't operate with no new CBA.

To get into what I know about the negotiations... Basically, the NHL wants to scale back the players share of "Hockey Related Revenue", and beyond that they were initially going to redefine HRR to make a smaller amount of revenue go into it. What I mean is the NHL teams get a share of revenue that isn't considered "Hockey Related" Revenue under the expired CBA, basically meaning certain forms of revenue go 100% to the teams. So to say the NHL players got 57% of revenue on the last season of the expired CBA is technically untrue, they got 57% of HRR, but considering HRR is only a portion of the revenue, the actual percentage would be lower. How much less than 57% is unclear since I don't have the numbers myself. (Which I shouldn't anyway. XP)

Beyond that, the percentage is just part of the issue, the league wants to change the structure of the economics where as the players are happy with the current structure. A good example of what could be changed is restricted free agency, which could mean players would have to wait longer before they could have rights to negotiate with any team. There's plenty more to the CBA negotiations than just how much money each side gets, and I don't think the percentage itself is what held up the negotiations prior to the lockout being put in place.

Space Explorer

18,450 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
Klesla
killlerbabies
Klesla
killlerbabies
Klesla

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Again, money is very controlling, but it changes people, too. These guys that make, like, 3 million a year probably don't know how to live without it. They feel like they need it. Dependency is the word I'm looking for here. I am afraid for some it becomes more about the money than just doing what they love, which is quite sad. The more I think about this, the more difficult it is to see who's in the right, the NHL or the NHLPA. I think I'd have to read the whole proposal before I could make a really good argument for one side over the other. Haha, wasn't that like 76,000 pages?

Liberal Friend

5,950 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Autobiographer 200
Yes, I agree.
It's insane l:

killlerbabies
The Slapshot
Honestly, I can't believe this. If no agreement is made, this will be the third lockout under Gary Bettman. That's insane.
He needs to go. He has had ample time to get something done and now it's the day of the deadline, hours left before 11:59 pm and no statement has been issued.
How sad is that.
I honestly wish it were the last option on your poll, "There won't be a lockout. This is just a sick joke"

Welp.

He's completed his hattrick. I think that's enough and I wholeheartedly agree that he needs to go. This not only affects the players and the fans, it affects the entire organization, it affects the cities that earn revenue from the fans visiting restaurants and shops, it affects the people that work at the rink - from zamboni drivers to the ice girls, it affects a crapton of people!!

I don't know about you, but I can't afford to go to minor league games every week. It's much easier watching the NHL on television. *sigh*

Space Explorer

18,450 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
The Slapshot
Yes, I agree.
It's insane l:

killlerbabies
The Slapshot
How sad is that.

Welp.

How do you plan on going about your life if the lockout takes a while? Just curious =) I think it'll give me time to read some books that I've been meaning to read for years! Haha, when hockey's on I don't do much else but watch/go to games :p

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff