Welcome to Gaia! ::

Unsealed Rogue

13,975 Points
  • Supreme Supporter 500
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Invisibility 100
If you're familiar with what happened between Richie Incognito and Jonathan Martin, then you should know that bullying exists, and will continue to exist, in professional sports (source). It will continue to exist simply because we are all different. We need to respect one another and implement equality in the locker room.

So what should "prevent" cases like this to happen in the future?

How about imposing a 15-yard penalty whenever officials hear you use the N-word on the field for the first occurrence?
How about an ejection for the second time the officials hear you say it?

This word has been used since the 17th century and it's a derogatory term to refer to black people (source). I believe that this is a very controversial decision by the NFL, more specifically by John Wooten who is the chairman of the Fritz Pollard Alliance. According to the Fritz Pollard Alliance's website, they "promote diversity and equality of job opportunity in the coaching, front office and scouting staffs of National Football League ('NFL') teams." (source) Indeed, John Wooten simply wants the equality among the players, the coaches, the personnel, and among those who are involved with the NFL. However, strictly policing the use of the N-word isn't enough to instill equality in the NFL (source).

Wooten argues that the word is offensive and it should not be used by anyone in the NFL facilities in order to instill respect among the people who are involved with the business. However, there are those who argue the opposite. Metta World Peace (or Ron Artest) argues that he has been using the N-word for a long time. It doesn't bother him because it's a way for him address others (sources of these from Mike & Mike's ESPN radio show on 2/25/2014). Ryan Clark, a safety for the Pittsburgh Steelers, argues that it would be "really tough to legislate this rule, to find a way to penalize everyone who uses this word." (source)

There are some implications to this:
- Who gets to say the N-word?
- Are white referees viewed as racist if they penalize a black man for saying the word?
- Does the context matter when this word is mentioned?
- What about the other slurs? What would happen if someone said "f*ggot" on the field?
- What about the Washington Redskins? Isn't "Redskins" a racial slur in itself?

This is a controversial issue. Will this truly stop the use of the N-word in the NFL? I personally do not think so.

Music is a huge part of our lives. We can argue that we hear the N-word in hip-hop music. The young generation (kids, children, teens, young adults) listen to this music. Then, they use it sometime in their lives. Parenting is saved for another discussion, but the point is that this word will be used for the next several years (inside or outside of the playing field). There will always be someone who will use this word without regarding its context (source).

Wooten loves the NFL. He's doing whatever he can to keep the business safe for everyone, to create equality among the players in the business. But is this enough?
First issue here is that Martin wasn't anywhere close to bullied. Secondly you can't regulate a game such as football in such a way.

Unsealed Rogue

13,975 Points
  • Supreme Supporter 500
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Invisibility 100
Selvow
First issue here is that Martin wasn't anywhere close to bullied. Secondly you can't regulate a game such as football in such a way.
To be honest, I really don't care about what happened between Martin and Incognito. News reports say that Martin was "bullied" in the locker room by Incognito and two other players (source from Ted Wells' report). Bullying is still a problem, nevertheless.

I know NFL games can't be regulated like this. The sport is emotional. It's intense, it's exciting, I get that. Any sport, really, can't be regulated like this. But I still don't believe that this rule would make us better humans.
I don't really like the rule because it puts the player on blast. Like how will refs call the penalty? "The use of the N-word, defense #56, 15 yard penalty, automatic first down..." They could mask it as "unsportsmanlike conduct" I guess. However, it's an advance into reducing the use of the n-word, not just in the NFL, but in all major professional sport. I also don't think it'll ever stop in sports, especially in the world, and that goes for other slurs too. There are people who think it's a big deal and those who don't. It's the kind of world we live in.

Unsealed Rogue

13,975 Points
  • Supreme Supporter 500
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Invisibility 100
midnightconspiracy
I don't really like the rule because it puts the player on blast. Like how will refs call the penalty? "The use of the N-word, defense #56, 15 yard penalty, automatic first down..." They could mask it as "unsportsmanlike conduct" I guess. However, it's an advance into reducing the use of the n-word, not just in the NFL, but in all major professional sport. I also don't think it'll ever stop in sports, especially in the world, and that goes for other slurs too. There are people who think it's a big deal and those who don't. It's the kind of world we live in.

Yep. Unsportsmanlike conduct is good enough. I don't like this new "rule" because it doesn't really solve anything. There will always be people who use the N-word.

And it's not just the N-word too. We have other slurs that we use in our society. What about the other words that apparently offend others? Would the referees let those words slip by while policing the use of the N-word? It's a sad, ironic life we live.

I don't think the use of the N-word is a big deal. Why? Because we've been using it for so long that it's irrelevant. People will continue to use it no matter what the context is. This is an overreaction from the Incognito incident.
Ethozz
midnightconspiracy

Yep. Unsportsmanlike conduct is good enough. I don't like this new "rule" because it doesn't really solve anything. There will always be people who use the N-word.

And it's not just the N-word too. We have other slurs that we use in our society. What about the other words that apparently offend others? Would the referees let those words slip by while policing the use of the N-word? It's a sad, ironic life we live.

I don't think the use of the N-word is a big deal. Why? Because we've been using it for so long that it's irrelevant. People will continue to use it no matter what the context is. This is an overreaction from the Incognito incident.

In today's society, most people, especially African Americans/Black people, use the n-word with an "A" in the end as a synonym to "buddy, friend, pal, brother, etc." What used to be a harsh, derogatory word towards the African/Black community has unfortunately developed into a somewhat "friendly" word. Personally, I've never said the word in my life, but some of friends do and all I can think is "How can they say it so comfortably like that?" Anyways, the reason it's a big deal is mostly because of the Incognito incident, but other athletes from different sports have also made this into a bigger deal. For example, Matt Barnes of the Los Angeles Clippers once got ejected from a game and tweeted the n-word with an "a" referring to his teammates that he was sick and tired of standing up for them since he always ends up getting ejected for it. This word has ended up being a big story line, not only in the sports world, but the rest of the world.

Unsealed Rogue

13,975 Points
  • Supreme Supporter 500
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Invisibility 100
midnightconspiracy
In today's society, most people, especially African Americans/Black people, use the n-word with an "A" in the end as a synonym to "buddy, friend, pal, brother, etc." What used to be a harsh, derogatory word towards the African/Black community has unfortunately developed into a somewhat "friendly" word. Personally, I've never said the word in my life, but some of friends do and all I can think is "How can they say it so comfortably like that?" Anyways, the reason it's a big deal is mostly because of the Incognito incident, but other athletes from different sports have also made this into a bigger deal. For example, Matt Barnes of the Los Angeles Clippers once got ejected from a game and tweeted the n-word with an "a" referring to his teammates that he was sick and tired of standing up for them since he always ends up getting ejected for it. This word has ended up being a big story line, not only in the sports world, but the rest of the world.

It definitely has become a casual word nowadays. Those who use it only mean to be informal or to be casual. They use it as a friendly way to address their friends. I understand that. Some of my friends have used that word to address me. It didn't bother me because I know they are playful and I know they are friendly, though I don't encourage or motivate anyone to keep using that word. The definition of the word has definitely changed throughout time. It's still offensive to many, but some simply use it because it's just what it is.

This word is also propagated through media. Hip-hop artists use the word so blatantly that their audience get caught up to their lyrics. If you want something to stop happening, then you would stop its occurrence from happening. In other words, if you want people to stop using the N-word, then...STOP using the N-word. That's a logical way to think about this in an illogical world we live.
Pretty soon the sport is not gonna be any more real than professional wrestling.

Unsealed Rogue

13,975 Points
  • Supreme Supporter 500
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Invisibility 100
Burt Cocaine
Pretty soon the sport is not gonna be any more real than professional wrestling.

Welcome to the N.F.L. (also known as professional two-hand touch football, fun and safe for everyone)

At least pro wrestling is more entertaining and more realistic than the NFL with this.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff