Welcome to Gaia! ::

I dont think so..i havent watched a even remotley good goaltender in quite awhile since i watched my fathers taping of the 1980 olympics with Jim Craig in goal.
HockeyYeti
I dont think so..i havent watched a even remotley good goaltender in quite awhile since i watched my fathers taping of the 1980 olympics with Jim Craig in goal.

Are you serious? lol

The game has evolved significantly since 1980. Today's goalies can out play Jim Craig.
Cambrian
HockeyYeti

Are you serious? lol

The game has evolved significantly since 1980. Today's goalies can out play Jim Craig.

Yeah I am with Cambrian here. The game has changed dude and the players have become a lot better.
any body think that make the goalies pads smaller going to make anydifference
??? cause i dont. i like my gear the way it is now i dont want my gear to change
Hello hockey thread! Aside from taking away the red line and adding shootouts, I have no qualms whatsoever about the proposed rule changes. I can't wait to see the end of the trap and smaller goalie equipment sizes. As it is right now, the padding is absurd. The players barely have anything to shoot at and all the goalies have to do is just stand there. By making them smaller, offense will be greatly increased, which should spark a revival in hockey interest, especially down in the United States. Anyways, I hope the agreements end up soon and we can have hockey this October. My final words: Go Habs Go!
nabokovfan4ever
Cambrian
HockeyYeti

Are you serious? lol

Yeah I am with Cambrian here. The game has changed dude and the players have become a lot better.

Agreed! Goalies have developed new styles, and in any sport, the players get more and more skileld as the years pass. Goalies already work theis buts off. The only thing you'd see with a bigger net is more scoring.
dark_faerie87
Hello hockey thread! Aside from taking away the red line and adding shootouts, I have no qualms whatsoever about the proposed rule changes. I can't wait to see the end of the trap and smaller goalie equipment sizes. As it is right now, the padding is absurd. The players barely have anything to shoot at and all the goalies have to do is just stand there. By making them smaller, offense will be greatly increased, which should spark a revival in hockey interest, especially down in the United States. Anyways, I hope the agreements end up soon and we can have hockey this October. My final words: Go Habs Go!

But that's what makes the game complicated for the shooters. You have to know where you can get through the goalies padding. And as far as goalies "just stand(ing) there" to block shots that's not true. At least I don't find it to be true. You constantly have to be moving making sure you body is aligned with the puck. That's not just standing there. That's like in lacrosse the net is extremely small and the goalie padding is huge although the ball is bouncy... scratch that example. I lost my train of thought. Also don't expect the United States to become a big fan of hockey anytime soon. You can change the game as much as you want but I doubt it will become popular in the US. Hockey is a Canadian game as football is an American game.

Quote:
Agreed! Goalies have developed new styles, and in any sport, the players get more and more skileld as the years pass. Goalies already work theis buts off. The only thing you'd see with a bigger net is more scoring.

3nodding You hit it right on. Bigger net, smaller pads, more scoring. Personally I like that there isn't a lot of scoring. For the players I think it makes a goal more special for them... because that may be the only goal the entire game.
nabokovfan4ever
HockeyYeti
I'd like to see the bigger nets the golies need to train harder and be more talented to tend them so i think the role of a goaltender is going to be bigger

Train harder? Come on they already train hard and their role is already big enough.

Ok I'm officially pissed.

Leave the goalies ALONE.They already get blamed for facing 30 some odd shots and losing the game by one.
Guess who takes the heat by the fans when the team doesnt win? Thats right the goalies.
Leave the pads and the nets alone
Although make the jersey sizes a bit smaller and it would be good for the goalies.

I'm done my rant

Kaze Drimn's Prince

Lavish Businessman

dark_faerie87
Man, I guess Jasper was right about Hab fans being idiots. xd

First of all, the two ideas that you like aren't bad ideas. The two-line pass rule is stupid as-is, and no one likes a tie game. Second of all, the goalies you see in the NHL are acrobats. If a goalie "just stood there," then they'd find that the shooters can find places to score easily enough.

And I think that if the game uses the right rule changes and is marketed well, then hockey can get back to being as popular as it was in the 80s and early 90s. And at this point, Bettman can't count on ESPN to market the NHL for him, ESPN is anti-NHL at this point in time and that won't change unless the NHL gets good ratings on NBC.
Sweens6591
Cool,and NHL chat,so i heard that the NHL has probably reached a deal...When do you think they will or have they already?

ive heard this week

gee sweatdrop nice speech Linkin
ERRORCode2002
dark_faerie87
Man, I guess Jasper was right about Hab fans being idiots. xd

First of all, the two ideas that you like aren't bad ideas. The two-line pass rule is stupid as-is, and no one likes a tie game. Second of all, the goalies you see in the NHL are acrobats. If a goalie "just stood there," then they'd find that the shooters can find places to score easily enough.

And I think that if the game uses the right rule changes and is marketed well, then hockey can get back to being as popular as it was in the 80s and early 90s. And at this point, Bettman can't count on ESPN to market the NHL for him, ESPN is anti-NHL at this point in time and that won't change unless the NHL gets good ratings on NBC.

Told you so. xd

As for the goalie equipment and nets, etc. They are fine. Leave the damn goalies alone and get rid of the freaking red line. Without the red line you would see tons of break aways which equals more goals. You would no longer be able to use the trap which equals more goals.

The goalies are fine and I do believe in the goalie jersey. Curtis Joseph ruined that for everyone. He wore a jersey that was about 6 sizes too big and when it hit him it would just drop. The jersey is believe in. As for the equipment, it is already too small in some cases and the nets are fine.

For some reason the NHL is too dumb to realise that the problems have not occured for over 100 years. Hockey has thrived fine up until the year 2000. At that point they brought in a ton of quick icing rules, 7 second puck drop, and the infamous red line. The nets have been the same for over 100 years. For some reason it is only a problem now. Two words, RED LINE. Breakaways and trap gone. Those words are enough to make a coach smile. Any coach who could play a team with tons of break aways for their team and no trap would jump on it without even a thought.

For some strange reason I am the only one who seems to be looking at the ice instead of pointing at the goalies. They have just run out of people to blame so it has to be the goalies fault. Everything else gets blamed on them. A team loses 7-6 and the goalie gets picked on for letting in so many goals. Why not look at the forwards and blame them for not scoring. Hense why sports are supposed to be fun. Sports are supposed to be fun without any critism what so ever. If everyone could just see that sporting events would be much better. None of this "ship him out he sucks" crap. People join sports for fun and a thrill. Not so they can be critisized and picked on.

The only reason why they are getting so dumb about this goalie stuff is because everyone wants to see a hero. Everyone wants another Gretzky to pop up, everyone wants to see another Tretiuk. Everyone wants to see more Messiers, more Bourques, more anything. Everyone wants to see another 2000+ point getter. Everyone wants more shut out kings and great save clinics. Hense why they keep picking on one person. Soon enough people will give up on goalies and start putting rules on how sharp a players skate can be and how long a stick can be. The next stage of rules is just coming, so don't think its over yet because its a long way from that.
Well not much new to say except I keep hearing the same things about the lock out over and over. For a month straight they've said one more week. Well when is this week coming.. sweatdrop Sure would be nice if someone would tell us.
GO LEAFS GO biggrin biggrin biggrin
raposo
GO LEAFS GO biggrin biggrin biggrin

Heh.. Thanks for the comment.. sweatdrop

Super Spirit

Yo, I break it down like a hammer on ice. *beatboxes*

cool

I'm cool. So...I see you made a new thread Jasper.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff