All Time?

John Stockton

Fixed

Sorry. Your auto correct was acting up a bit, thought I'd fix it for you. (:

4,950 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100
Chris Paul hands down. The PG competition in the league however is deep.
Racist Word For African
[-Kami-]
John Michael Osbourne
Weeaboobs
Current: Chris Paul

All Time?

John Stockton

Fixed

John Stockton's not the best point guard.

He's definitely in the conversation with Magic.
First of all his defense is definitely better than Magic's, Magic needed a Michael Cooper to defend those faster guards. Second, he's a better shooter than Magic. Another factor was his longevity, he played 19 frigging years in the league.
Racist Word For African
RedSolomon
Racist Word For African
[-Kami-]
John Michael Osbourne
Weeaboobs
Current: Chris Paul

All Time?

John Stockton

Fixed

First of all his defense is definitely better than Magic's, Magic needed a Michael Cooper to defend those faster guards. Second, he's a better shooter than Magic. Another factor was his longevity, he played 19 frigging years in the league.

Longevity doesn't determine greatness.

Most bigger point guards like Magic and Oscar Robertson weren't known for being tremendous perimeter shooters, rather for their post up ability and god-level court vision.

No denying Stockton was a better shooter and defender than Magic.

However, Magic's career was cut short due to the HIV he contracted. He only played 13 years, and one of them was five years after the first 12.

Give Magic a 19-year career, and Stockton comes nowhere close to holding the all-time record for assists. Magic also holds the career record for assists per game at 11.2.

It is a part of greatness. Playing for much much longer is hard and requires too much work.
It is debatable, really who has the better court vision. And Stockton is definitely a tier-above in terms of court vision compared to Oscar and in the same tier with Magic.
You are pretty much playing the hypothetical game - here's one, give Stockton guys like Kareem Abdul Jabbar, Jamaal Wilkes, James Worthy, Michael Cooper, Norm Nixon, Byron Scott, AC Green, Mychael Thompson, Vlade Divac and Bob Mcadoo. In that weak western conference era, in that fast-paced era. With Michael Cooper doing all the work on defense, he can slack too defensively and focus more on his offense to pad up stats. rolleyes
He had a great team from the start and probably the best franchise.
Magic had it easier, Magic was definitely more hyped than John Stockton, so I see why you guys aren't even considering him in the conversation.
Racist Word For African
RedSolomon
Racist Word For African
RedSolomon
Racist Word For African
[-Kami-]

Longevity doesn't determine greatness.

Most bigger point guards like Magic and Oscar Robertson weren't known for being tremendous perimeter shooters, rather for their post up ability and god-level court vision.

No denying Stockton was a better shooter and defender than Magic.

However, Magic's career was cut short due to the HIV he contracted. He only played 13 years, and one of them was five years after the first 12.

Give Magic a 19-year career, and Stockton comes nowhere close to holding the all-time record for assists. Magic also holds the career record for assists per game at 11.2.

It is a part of greatness. Playing for much much longer is hard and requires too much work.
It is debatable, really who has the better court vision. And Stockton is definitely a tier-above in terms of court vision compared to Oscar and in the same tier with Magic.
You are pretty much playing the hypothetical game - here's one, give Stockton guys like Kareem Abdul Jabbar, Jamaal Wilkes, James Worthy, Michael Cooper, Norm Nixon, Byron Scott, AC Green, Mychael Thompson, Vlade Divac and Bob Mcadoo. In that weak western conference era, in that fast-paced era. With Michael Cooper doing all the work on defense, he can slack too defensively and focus more on his offense to pad up stats. rolleyes
He had a great team from the start and probably the best franchise.
Magic had it easier, Magic was definitely more hyped than John Stockton, so I see why you guys aren't even considering him in the conversation.

Having a long career does require hard work, no doubt - but Magic's short career was a result of the HIV he contracted, which at the time was something no one wanted to be around. Even Karl Malone had made some negative comments about it at the time; Magic could have stayed in the league a full 20 consecutive years if he wanted to, but in the interest of other peoples' safety (little was known about whether HIV was contagious or not) he retired.

I have no doubt Stockton was a great point guard, but the fact of the matter is Magic could make the worst possible player in the league a solid rotation player because of how great he was at setting up his teammates. That is what him makes him leagues above everyone else. In my opinion, anyway.

I really do love John Stockton, though. He's the last great short, white point guard. cool

Nobody can really say that he can play 20 years in the league because it didn't happen.
And a view to see a 40 year old Magic trying to defend Allen Iverson. mrgreen
It's not just Magic who makes their teammates better, you already have guys like Kareem who will draw double-teams and a defensive anchor on the other end. An experienced Bob Mcadoo who can shoot it anywhere who will stretch out the floors. And guys who are smart and athletic for the Showtime offense like James Worthy, Byron Scott, Wilkes. And guys who were great in the defensive end like Rambis and Cooper. Magic at one point had 4 hall of famers with him, Stockton on the other hand had one (Malone).
Stephen Curry! His pull-up 3s are deadly! Not sure how he'll do this season with Steve Kerr as the Golden State's new coach though.

Hilarious Genius

In my opinion if derrick rose was healthy

Adventuring Gatekeeper

There Are too many Guards in The NBA That are very Excellent in Playing... But, for me the Best is Magic Johnson... Although My Idol is Stephen Curry, But Curry Has alot more to learn in the future...
Only my Opinion...
Tony Parker

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas