Total Votes:[ 54 ]
< 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Hilarious Shapeshifter

8,800 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Junior Trader 100
Cookie Icer
For the next two weeks, I will be replacing my normal Green Font with 49er red in support of my team. Despite being a 49er fan, I try and make my predictions from a non-biased stand point. Lets see if I can analyze this game with my head rather than my heart and make an accurate prediction.

Lets begin last year, the only time the Harbaugh's have coached against each other, Baltimore walked away winners on Thanksgiving night 16-6. The Ravens were successful in pressuring and sacking QB Alex Smith 9 times that night, and the 49ers could not establish ANY offensive momentum.

... But the 49ers aren't going in with Smith at the helm.

Colin Kaepernick has only made 9 starts this season, he will be a starting QB in a Superbowl with the second fewest starts. (Jim Hostetler for the Giants in Superbowl XXV had only 4 prior to his start in that game) We go back to the game against New England, the Patriots tried blitzing Colin like crazy in an attempt to disrupt and fluster the young QB, Kaepernick responded with a monster display in his passing skills with 4 TD passes. In the game against Green Bay Kaepernick rushed for 181 yards, most by any QB in NFL history. Atlanta did a good job containing Kaepernick and keeping him from running, but they paid the price for trying to play to contain Colin by allowing huge running lanes in between the tackles that Gore and James took advantage of with 3 TD runs, and with gaps in the passing game as Colin was averaging 11.1 yards per completion, which broke Joe Montana's record for highest yards per pass completion average in a playoff. Now it's an insult to compare the Patriots, Packers, and Falcons defenses to that of the Ravens. And it will be a challenge for this team, who do they cover? How do they attack the 49ers? What they did last time can still be effective, but it won't be nearly as successful.

Lets take a look on the other side of the ball, the Ravens lost 4 of their last 5 games to finish out the regular season, many thought John Harbaugh's decision to fire the offensive coordinator and replace him with QB coach Jim Caldwell was a stupid decision, and their play to finish the regular season was a reflection of that. But when the playoffs started, it seemed like the greatest decision he has made in his career. Joe Flacco was a good, but not great QB, since the playoffs started he has played on an elite level that I will have to swallow a little pride and say I never expected him to do. In these playoffs he has 8 TD and No INT, over the past two playoffs that number is 12-1. He's more explosive, his yardage output has skyrocketed, and has proven himself the Ultimate Road Warrior by being the winningest QB in road playoff games. (Superbowl will not count in this stat due to neutral location.) So the same defensive scheme the 49ers used last season to limit the Ravens offense to a mere 16 points, will not work either.

So where will I go in this match up? The opening line in Vegas is San Francisco by 4 and 1/2, since then it has slipped to 4. And I think that is a good number. Here are three reason why.

1.): Last year when the 49ers played the Ravens, it was on a very, VERY short week where the team had less than 4 days to prepare for the Ravens and travel to the east coast to play in a different time zone. The lack of preparation time definitely played a part in the under prepared look the 49ers had in that game, yet it was still a 10 point game. THIS time both teams will have equal prep time, I expect a much better prepared 49ers team that will handle the Ravens blitz's much better than a year ago, and will have more success on offense.

2.): The 49ers this season has been the elite QB killer! I mentioned this last week when analyzing the 49ers/Falcons, and now they can add Matty Ice to their list of defeated high caliber QB's along with Brady, Brees, and Rodgers. Flacco has shown great improvement since he entered the playoffs. But the Ravens passing attack still isn't as good, and I'm hesitant to put Flacco in that category. The 49ers can stop the run, and play against the pass. Ravens will find some success on offense, but it will be limited.

3.): I give all the credit in the world to the Ravens Defense, they have triumphed the past three weeks over Rookie sensation Andrew Luck, then back to back against Manning and Brady. But this defense has played more downs this playoff season than any other team, it's amazing they have been able to hold up as well as they have, but I believe part of that reason is due to playing against similar QB types. Kaepernick breaks the mold and is much different than any of these pure pocket passers they have played against, not much needed to be changed to their defensive scheme. It is also a key note that when the Ravens played against a QB with a similar playing style as Colin, RGIII and the Redskins, the Ravens gave up 31 points and lost that match up. Well they need to revamp the defense to take on Colin, and though they will have 2 weeks to rest and prepare for the Superbowl, I believe that momentum, and adrenalin they had carrying them through the AFC playoffs will run out.

4 point spread in Vegas, I like that spread.

FINAL SCORE: 49ERS 24 Ravens 20

Great insight as always! I also think this game will be close with the 49ers winning! This is not going to be easy.

Hilarious Shapeshifter

8,800 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Junior Trader 100
Gurosin of Tyria
iHippie X
Ravens 28 49ers 24

As a Cowboys fan, I don't want to see San Francisco hold up their 6th Lombardi trophy before Dallas does. Plus, I do like Joe Flacco & Ray Rice.

I'm a Niners Fan living in Texas.

I will wear my Frank Gore Jersey, my Kaepernick Jersey and my Leonard Davis Jersey.

Hopefully I won't have to shoot somebody.

I have the same hope lol! Were you originally from California, by any chance?

Aged Member

Pat46rick
Gurosin of Tyria
iHippie X
Ravens 28 49ers 24

As a Cowboys fan, I don't want to see San Francisco hold up their 6th Lombardi trophy before Dallas does. Plus, I do like Joe Flacco & Ray Rice.

I'm a Niners Fan living in Texas.

I will wear my Frank Gore Jersey, my Kaepernick Jersey and my Leonard Davis Jersey.

Hopefully I won't have to shoot somebody.

I have the same hope lol! Were you originally from California, by any chance?

I lived in the Bay area for like 11 years before i moved to Texas.

Hilarious Shapeshifter

8,800 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Junior Trader 100
I can't believe I had to be reminded that the Pro Bowl is later this afternoon. lol I'm all in Super Bowl mode. mrgreen

Hilarious Shapeshifter

8,800 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Junior Trader 100
49ers: Should the 49ers get a second kicker for the Super Bowl?
Ravens: Ray Rice had 61 receptions this season. Will he make his biggest impact on receiving on rushing this Super Bowl?

Hilarious Shapeshifter

8,800 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Junior Trader 100
Want to win a free pizza? Guess heads or tails correctly for the Super Bowl coin toss on the Papa John's Pizza website and you get one:

http://order.papajohns.com/index.html
Ravens 24 - 49ers 10

Baltimore is looking nice in post season.

Invisible Detective

9,325 Points
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Invisibility 100
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
Ravens, never been a big 49er's fan.

Gracious Hunter

ravens - 30
sf - 25

Conservative Sex Symbol

personally, this bowl is s**t. i don't like either team in it, especially the 49ers, like the who the ******** are they? buuuuut, if i had to say, it'd be the ravens to win it by 34-14.

Hilarious Shapeshifter

8,800 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Junior Trader 100
The big game is just days away. The last time for predictions for the thread contest is Saturday, 11:59 PM Pacific. mrgreen

O.G. Player

7,800 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Partygoer 500
  • Ultimate Player 200
both are really aggressive & physical teams especially on Defence...way i see it the game will be close possibly come down to a field goal

SF-24 BAL-21 maybe?

Greedy Winner

49ers 20
Ravens 23

Hilarious Shapeshifter

8,800 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Junior Trader 100
Check out some amazing statistics regarding the Super Bowl on NFL.com: NFL.com Super Bowl XLVII

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff