Welcome to Gaia! ::

My new goal in life is to have a singing voice like Helena Bonham Carter.

Teh Dreggs's Partner

Dapper Dabbler

I saw it today and thought it was good. Hugh Jackman was great, Anne Hathaway was good and I thought Russel Crow was a good casting. The cinematography was not too shabby, and the music was, of course, phenomenal.
my new fave musical

Clean Businesswoman

8,450 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Informer 100
  • Millionaire 200
its beyond perfect

Blessed Shopper

9,650 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Full closet 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100
Show was entertaining overall and their singing was breathtaking despite being actors/actresses themselves.
Master of the House if probably one of my favourites. Show would be a tad bit too weepy if they didn't have the two there now, would it?

Dangerous Friend

7,250 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Brandisher 100
Eponine was by far my favorite. I didn't like the movie, overall. Despite Anne Hathaway's stunning performance of I Dreamed a Dream , the movie was depressing and never seemed to end. I was suprised at my strong dislike; I normally love every musical that crosses my path. But Le Mis' just isn't my cup of tea.
User Image

Dangerous Friend

7,250 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Brandisher 100
Zhiskel
Show was entertaining overall and their singing was breathtaking despite being actors/actresses themselves.
Master of the House if probably one of my favourites. Show would be a tad bit too weepy if they didn't have the two there now, would it?

HE CHOPPED OFF A CAT'S TAIL *shudder* burning_eyes

Familiar Trickster

Have not seen the movie but I do have the soundtrack and I really enjoyed it.

Militant Citizen

8,150 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Brandisher 100
  • Beta Citizen 0
I enjoyed it a lot more than I thought I was going to, given the casting announcements!

As a big fan of the stage musical and brick, I was expecting the worst, but came out feeling the way that I do when I leave the theatre. However, most of my joy came from seeing ex-London cast members on the big screen, ^_^;;

Benevolent Gaian

8,200 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
Helena Bonham Carter is absolutely NOT perfect for the part. Visually she's fine, but she played it the same way she played Mrs. Lovett in Sweeney Todd - sympathetic and pretty while a little rough around the edges. Wrong. The Thenardiers are meant to be so unbelievably disgusting that THAT is what makes them funny. It's meant to be purely visceral humor (ie. nose picking sloppy farting blah blah blah), not tongue-in-cheek flirting with their patrons. That's why it's so funny they think that they can be high society with just a bit more money.

Amanda Seyfried sounded like a goat. Could not take her seriously. The guy playing Marius sounded like Kermit the frog with Parkinson's.
Visually it was beautiful, and I wish Sam Barks hadn't been corsetted into oblivion, it really affected her singing.

Salty Dreamer

45,125 Points
  • Bitter Sandstorm 200
  • Protector of Cuteness 150
  • Hero 100
AkaTsuki-chan
Helena Bonham Carter is absolutely NOT perfect for the part. Visually she's fine, but she played it the same way she played Mrs. Lovett in Sweeney Todd - sympathetic and pretty while a little rough around the edges. Wrong. The Thenardiers are meant to be so unbelievably disgusting that THAT is what makes them funny. It's meant to be purely visceral humor (ie. nose picking sloppy farting blah blah blah), not tongue-in-cheek flirting with their patrons. That's why it's so funny they think that they can be high society with just a bit more money.

Amanda Seyfried sounded like a goat. Could not take her seriously. The guy playing Marius sounded like Kermit the frog with Parkinson's.
Visually it was beautiful, and I wish Sam Barks hadn't been corsetted into oblivion, it really affected her singing.

Actually, corseting usually provides the abdominal support that makes singing stronger. If anything, her sitting down/crouching for half of her songs would affect her singing. Also, Samantha Barks is naturally really tiny in the waist- she wasn't actually corseted that much.

Helena Bonham Carter played Madame Thenardier as she was DIRECTED to- it was the director's choice to have the 'seduction' part in, and several stage adaptations interpret the song that way, as well. Apart from the hilarious meat grinder, I saw none of Mrs. Lovett in Madam Thenardier. And the movie was very clear in conveying the Thenardier's lack of class. Furthermore, little was done to make her appear "sympathetic and pretty." The Thenardier's were one of the best parts of the movie, in my opinion.

I do agree about Seyfried's forced vibrato simulating a chicken being strangled, and (while I wouldn't put in is as harsh of terms as you) Marius' vocals could have been stronger.

(did not actually mean to tip your post- my internet was derping)

Benevolent Gaian

8,200 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
ARepoMansDaughter
My new goal in life is to have a singing voice like Helena Bonham Carter.

That's really not terribly hard.

Benevolent Gaian

8,200 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
LadyThornRose
AkaTsuki-chan

Actually, corseting usually provides the abdominal support that makes singing stronger. If anything, her sitting down/crouching for half of her songs would affect her singing. Also, Samantha Barks is naturally really tiny in the waist- she wasn't actually corseted that much.

Helena Bonham Carter played Madame Thenardier as she was DIRECTED to- it was the director's choice to have the 'seduction' part in, and several stage adaptations interpret the song that way, as well. Apart from the hilarious meat grinder, I saw none of Mrs. Lovett in Madam Thenardier. And the movie was very clear in conveying the Thenardier's lack of class. Furthermore, little was done to make her appear "sympathetic and pretty." The Thenardier's were one of the best parts of the movie, in my opinion.

I do agree about Seyfried's forced vibrato simulating a chicken being strangled, and (while I wouldn't put in is as harsh of terms as you) Marius' vocals could have been stronger.

Yeah it also keeps you from taking in decent singing breaths. Compare her movie performance to the 25th edition recording. The latter is far superior.

This is what she naturally looks like? User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show. Unhealthy.

Salty Dreamer

45,125 Points
  • Bitter Sandstorm 200
  • Protector of Cuteness 150
  • Hero 100
AkaTsuki-chan
LadyThornRose
AkaTsuki-chan

Yeah it also keeps you from taking in decent singing breaths. Compare her movie performance to the 25th edition recording. The latter is far superior.

This is what she naturally looks like? User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show. Unhealthy.

ANY corset is going to take you in. A corset will only prevent deep breath if it is tied/put on incorrectly. And OF COURSE she sounds better in the 25th edition RECORDING! Not only is it a recording, but she was standing for the delivery of her songs, mostly static. And yeah, looking at her in her STAGE Eponine costume, her waist is looking pretty similarly tiny: User Image

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff