Welcome to Gaia! ::

Dapper Genius

7,750 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Clambake 200
LadyThornRose
As some of you know, a film version of the musical "Les Miserables" is set to come out next December.
Among the cast are some greats, such as Hugh Jackman. Personally, I am happy that Helena Bonham Carter was cast as Madam Thenardier (I had mentally cast her years ago). And I adore Aaron Tvelt as Enjolras.
My HUGE problem right now is Eponine... you know, the character who wrenches the heart of the audience and has a tear-jerking, powerful, beautiful song? Yeah, they cast Taylor Swift. I am terribly upset- they've ruined my favourite character in musical theatre.

EDIT: Good news, people! Taylor Swift will not be Eponine! Instead, the young woman who played her in the 25th Anniversary Cast will play our young gamine: Samantha Barks!

So what do you people think about the movie, and the casting?

I have never seen Les Mis, but I know all the songs, and I know a fair few of the people cast. Hugh Jackman has a stellar voice and a stellar acting presence (and he's also freaking sexy), so he was well cast. Anne Hathaway has a lovely voice, and I love that they did I Dreamed a Dream for the trailer--that song is so underappreciated, my only issue being that they better not cut it short like the did for the trailer, but I think they only did that for the trailer. I also love that she was dedicated enough to the role that she chopped her hair off.

Please help with my megathread/mark twain achievement!
http://www.gaiaonline.com/forum/achievements/megathread/t.82022621_1/?_gaia_t_=7564#9

Salty Phantom

24,100 Points
  • Timid 100
  • Bookworm 100
I'm really interested in seeing it. HBC as M. Thenardier? It's gonna be gold. And I'm also really glad that Taylor Swift wasn't cast.

It's been really interesting watching all the updates on FaceBook, with the behind the scenes tidbits and so forth.

Golden Gekko

11,250 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Hunter 50
  • Bunny Spotter 50
argella1300
I'm glad they're getting Colm Wilkinson involved, it's only right that he should be in it, seeing as he was the original Valjean

I was flat out screaming when I heard they'd gotten Colm Wilkinson as the bishop. One of my favorite actors - THE Valjean, I'm sorry, but no one else counts in my book - for one of my favorite characters (from the book. I realize they couldn't devote a huge amount of musical time to the Bishop, but the bishop is truly the lynchpin for the whole story. Without him, no change in Valjean. No change, no story. Yes, I'm obsessed. I wrote a (very long) paper on the vital importance of underappreciated characters for my thesis).

Golden Gekko

11,250 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Hunter 50
  • Bunny Spotter 50
Artist In Love
I hope those actresses can ACTUALLY SING. I would be ashamed if it turns out sounding like a new Katy Perry album.
I'm a bit iffy with Bonham Carter's role... she has a tiny and soft voice, I can't really picture her being an obnoxious b***h. I hope the movie turns out well! I really love Les Miserables. I'm sure the directors didn't just say "lets cast some big names and auto-tune the s**t out of their god-awful voices".

Heh heh. No danger of THAT.

Normally in a musical movie, the soundtrack is recorded months in advance and the actors have to mime along while filming. Acting is limited by the emotions they recorded before even meeting the other actors they're filming with.

Not in this one. They're singing LIVE. What you hear is what they sound like, at the moment they're acting. Should be EPIC.

O.G. Citizen

11,190 Points
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • The Perfect Setup 150
Linkin Burrows
argella1300
I'm glad they're getting Colm Wilkinson involved, it's only right that he should be in it, seeing as he was the original Valjean

I was flat out screaming when I heard they'd gotten Colm Wilkinson as the bishop. One of my favorite actors - THE Valjean, I'm sorry, but no one else counts in my book - for one of my favorite characters (from the book. I realize they couldn't devote a huge amount of musical time to the Bishop, but the bishop is truly the lynchpin for the whole story. Without him, no change in Valjean. No change, no story. Yes, I'm obsessed. I wrote a (very long) paper on the vital importance of underappreciated characters for my thesis).

Haha, that's cool. I like Colm too, he's got an awesome voice, but my only gripe with the original cast recording that he was in was that the tempo in a lot of songs dragged like crazy (One Day More comes to mind in that regard). My favorite recent Valjean is Alfie Boe. Dude's got some major pipes.

7,300 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Healer 50
  • Bunny Spotter 50
Linkin Burrows
Artist In Love
I hope those actresses can ACTUALLY SING. I would be ashamed if it turns out sounding like a new Katy Perry album.
I'm a bit iffy with Bonham Carter's role... she has a tiny and soft voice, I can't really picture her being an obnoxious b***h. I hope the movie turns out well! I really love Les Miserables. I'm sure the directors didn't just say "lets cast some big names and auto-tune the s**t out of their god-awful voices".

Heh heh. No danger of THAT.

Normally in a musical movie, the soundtrack is recorded months in advance and the actors have to mime along while filming. Acting is limited by the emotions they recorded before even meeting the other actors they're filming with.

Not in this one. They're singing LIVE. What you hear is what they sound like, at the moment they're acting. Should be EPIC.

Lol made this post a while ago before the rumors were cleared up, I'm pretty excited for the movie now.

Omnipresent Sex Symbol

13,250 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Jack-pot 100
I have mixed feelings about Amanda as Cosette. In the previews...it shows her with blonde hair...wtf? Cosette's supposed to have dark brown hair.

Salty Dreamer

45,125 Points
  • Bitter Sandstorm 200
  • Protector of Cuteness 150
  • Hero 100
pluhsauce
I have mixed feelings about Amanda as Cosette. In the previews...it shows her with blonde hair...wtf? Cosette's supposed to have dark brown hair.

...Really? The colour of her hair has little to do with her talents as an actress. Furthermore, despite her hair being brown in the novel, Cosette is frequently portrayed with blonde hair in the staged musical adaptations. I would say that she's blonde in at least 50% of the productions.

You really shouldn't let whether a character is blonde or brunette ruin a movie for you.

And here are two images of Amanda Seyfried's Cosette having pretty dark looking hair:
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2012/10/16/article-2217042-1587519F000005DC-910_634x928.jpg
http://www.indiewire.com/static/dims4/INDIEWIRE/810d2c2/4102462740/thumbnail/680x478/http://d1oi7t5trwfj5d.cloudfront.net/08/6469208b2311e1bcc4123138165f92/file/amanda-seyfried-cosette-first-look-04.jpg
It might all depend on lighting.

Also, don't let the Annie Leibovitz photoshoot photos confuse you. All of the characters look different in those.

Beloved Prophet

8,425 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Medalist 100
  • Wall Street 200
The movie is really good. Seeing as it was a live shooting, the actors did a phenomenal job. In fact, when I watched it, I didn't even know it was filmed live. When I found that out, I was even more impressed. Needless to say, I can't wait to see the movie again when it comes out on Christmas. It was so good that I woke up today from a dream about the movie.
one thing I'm really wondering is will Madame/Baroness Thenardier be her (going by stage productions) hefty self? for some reason that thought will not go away.
I want to see it. I'm worried about some of the people they picked, but I still want to see it. I'm hoping it'll be better than other musicals I've seen in the past. I hope to one day see it on Broadway.

Basaka21's Waifu

Shirtless Lover

6,850 Points
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Signature Look 250
  • Conventioneer 300
I want to see it too, and I heard the way they recorded this movie is much different from the lip-sync that usually occurs in the older musicals.

Magical Fairy

20,300 Points
  • Caroling Champ 100
  • Snowball Hero 200
  • Frozen Solid 200
pluhsauce

you...you do realize that some of the actresses who were casted as her in the musicals have blonde hair, right?

Artist In Love
I'm a bit iffy with Bonham Carter's role... she has a tiny and soft voice, I can't really picture her being an obnoxious b***h.

I can't really say anything about her performance in Les Mis since the movie's not out yet, but she's fully capable of acting like an obnoxious b***h. Bellatrix Lestrange from Harry Potter, anyone? Okay, Bellatrix's more sadistic than obnoxious, but still a b***h nonetheless.
it'll be my first time seeing les mis.
i'm really excited

gaia_diamond

Interesting Gaian

1,250 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Member 100
  • Person of Interest 200
Yeah, I'm super stoked, honestly going to reread the Hugo novel after I see the film probably.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff