Welcome to Gaia! ::

Salty Dreamer

45,125 Points
  • Bitter Sandstorm 200
  • Protector of Cuteness 150
  • Hero 100
As some of you know, a film version of the musical "Les Miserables" is set to come out next December.
Among the cast are some greats, such as Hugh Jackman. Personally, I am happy that Helena Bonham Carter was cast as Madam Thenardier (I had mentally cast her years ago). And I adore Aaron Tvelt as Enjolras.
My HUGE problem right now is Eponine... you know, the character who wrenches the heart of the audience and has a tear-jerking, powerful, beautiful song? Yeah, they cast Taylor Swift. I am terribly upset- they've ruined my favourite character in musical theatre.

EDIT: Good news, people! Taylor Swift will not be Eponine! Instead, the young woman who played her in the 25th Anniversary Cast will play our young gamine: Samantha Barks!

So what do you people think about the movie, and the casting?

Bashful Sophomore

6,450 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Timid 100
  • Popular Thread 100
I also disagree with the casting of Taylor Swift! D<

Salty Dreamer

45,125 Points
  • Bitter Sandstorm 200
  • Hero 100
Sudsies12
FAVORITE MUSICAL. burning_eyes
Is it going to still be a musical? Because there was another film version that's a bit old starring Liam Neeson.
I couldn't care who's cast, so long as they can sing. It'll be interesting to see if Swift is capable of singing anything besides love songs and heart-broken songs in pop-country style.

Yes, it's a musical.
I don't think that Swift has the vocal power or the notes for any of Eponine's songs... or the ability to act with any true depth.
I like her as a pop artist fine... I just hate it when they try to merge pop and musicals in the movies simply for revenue. There are so many unknowns out there who would be amazing for the role (no, not Lea Michelle- her facial expressions on the big screen would ruin the character).

5,300 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
Well, they are making it a movie, right? If it's a movie, I'm fine with whoever the actors are...now if they're trying to get a "popular" version of the musical, that is absolutely not okay. D: I mean, 25th anniversary they put in Nick Jonas instead of having Michael Ball (although I do understand the age different between he and the girl who played Cosette would be awkward)

Ugh, I don't know if I really wanna see a movie with all these popular actors when it's Les Mis, you know? But hey, it could be really good.

Salty Dreamer

45,125 Points
  • Bitter Sandstorm 200
  • Hero 100
Love.From.Hate
Well, they are making it a movie, right? If it's a movie, I'm fine with whoever the actors are...now if they're trying to get a "popular" version of the musical, that is absolutely not okay. D: I mean, 25th anniversary they put in Nick Jonas instead of having Michael Ball (although I do understand the age different between he and the girl who played Cosette would be awkward)

Ugh, I don't know if I really wanna see a movie with all these popular actors when it's Les Mis, you know? But hey, it could be really good.

Hugh Jackman can sing, as can Anne Hathaway (Fantine). Aaron Tvelt (Enjolras) is one of my favourites. HBC is perfect, and Sacha Baron Cohen will probably be hilarious as Thenardier. I just don't know about the rest of them... Amanda Seyfried as Cosette?
Yeah the cast... is a little too big in terms of pop hollywood.

Conservative Gaian

I'm just glad to hear an actual musical is coming out for it. I really liked the Liam Neason version, but I was disappointed they left the music out. In middle school we played the music for Les Miserables, and I've been in love with the music from it ever since.

I don't care about who the actors are, as long as they can sing. I'll wait to judge if the job was well done until after I see it.
That is traumatizing. Why did I have to read this?!?!

4,000 Points
  • Voter 100
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
Oh my God.

My only question is this: "why?" WHY?

I'm stubborn when it comes to Les MIs. I love the musical to bits and I am a huge fan of the 1998 movie starring Liam Neeson and Geoffrey Rush. The movie, I'm sure as everyone knows, didn't cast ANY light on Eponine, which was sad, but in all honesty-- it didn't really bother me so much.

I can't let myself see this new movie.
I. just. can't.

Taylor Swift is such an uninspired choice for ANY movie, and I feel like it will suffer with or without her. So..it's not really worth the over priced ticket they sell at the theatre.

I don't understand why new movies need to be remade, especially when nothing was wrong with the previous project.

Thirteenth Hunter

5,675 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Citizen 200
I was lucky enough to be Thenardier in my local theater's production of Les Miserables. We all agreed to go see it once it came out, but now, I may break that vow.

Taylor Swift? Feh.
most of the casting at the least works... but Taylor Swift talk2hand no just no... she's just too... Happy, if that's the right word... and tall... and supermodelish... she too perfect and southern belle like to be a tough french peasant who's parents abuse them...
So much hate on Taylor Swift... I've never seen her have the kind of vocal range that one would expect from Eponine, but that doesn't mean it's impossible for her to do well. And in regards to her being 'too perfect', I wouldn't exactly say that Lea Salonga or Samantha Barks looks particularly plain, but they played her brilliantly.

Hugh Jackman (Valjean) is an excellent singer and I can totally see him as Valjean. The guy they have for Enjolras is brilliant, even Marius is epic win. The Thenardiers are also a brilliant selection, Helena Bonham Carter can play that role with her eyes closed, I should think, after having been Mrs Lovett in Sweeney Todd.

Any rate, the point is there's a whole lot more good casting than bad. No reason to hate on it already. We don't have a musical movie for Les Miz, certainly not a recent one. And it will be cool to see a wider audience recognizing it and getting some more people into the fandom.
I am a little bit surprised with some of the casting - can't quite believe some!

How is the film going to b??

I found a press release that now says everyone who is involved with the project....some good, some bad...I am more worried about Eddie Redmayne!!!

Les Miserables Film Full Cast

7,300 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Healer 50
  • Bunny Spotter 50
I hope those actresses can ACTUALLY SING. I would be ashamed if it turns out sounding like a new Katy Perry album.
I'm a bit iffy with Bonham Carter's role... she has a tiny and soft voice, I can't really picture her being an obnoxious b***h. I hope the movie turns out well! I really love Les Miserables. I'm sure the directors didn't just say "lets cast some big names and auto-tune the s**t out of their god-awful voices".

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff