Welcome to Gaia! ::

Durem Prophet

7,300 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • First step to fame 200
  • Profitable 100
I would say Phantom of the Opera because y'know he's there inside my mind.
"Phantom of the Opera" because once you read the novel it's evident there's no room for fanfiction. I did see LND and thought it ruined the story.

Distinct Survivor

6,400 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Survivor 150
  • Dressed Up 200
Love Never Dies. I don't really know, I just have a thing for these dark, romantic, tragedy things. xD I felt so sorry for the Phantom at the end of Love Never Dies. I mean, no one ever loved him except for Christine, and he still lost her at the end. He'd probably would never be loved by another woman. ;_; Poor Phantom.... I just found the songs (Aussie LND) so much more passionate and beautiful... I love the way Anna O'byrne portrays Christine's confusion and pain and and ahhh just everything. (She's crazy, she's just too perfect!) I could never get over crying at that whole scene where Christine dies and she's like "Kiss me, one last time..." and then the Phantom is all "NOOOOOHOOHOOOOOO" and then he sings "Love Never Dies" to his son to comfort him of his deceased mother.
Sorry, sometimes I spew a lot of words which don't really make sense. But anyway-- I just LOVE Love Neve Dies. It's so romantic.
As an avid music fan, I can appreciate both of them. That being said, I feel like it's generally a stretch for Weber to write a second act, let alone a sequel play. Don't get me wrong, I think he's a great musical writer, but his work gets very iffy towards the second halfs. It's just my opinion though.
So, it boils down to, I think Phantom was better.

Dangerous Bookworm

Phantom of the Opera's story was better written, but in terms of the music, they were equal. I sort of like what he did with the characters, but at the same time, I feel the story could have been left untouched. Personally, though, I absolutely love "The Beauty Underneath".

Fashionable Lunatic

Love Never Dies is a travesty to theater and an abominable abortion to Broadway.

Phantom of the Opera is merely solid.
I like them equally...
I would have to say Phantom because it is one of my favorite musicals ever.
Love Never Dies: Let's get serious with ourselves here... The script for Phantom on the stage is pretty weak and has a few plot holes where a few (actually, a lot) gets ditched because everyone knows the story. This isn't necessarily bad: classical theatre relied upon people knowing stories and references all the time. It was especially big in greek culture. However, this was NOT what Weber was going for. Therefore, I am voiding my own part (mostly to prevent other people from arguing it). It isn't a bad musical but it's more of a guilty pleasure with a good soundtrack. Love Never Dies is much better in clarity. The soundtrack for Love Never Dies is kind of fantastic, though it took me a very long time to warm up to it and appreciate the repetition and tying in of everything. Also, who can honestly argue that the technical elements in phantom are better than in LND?

Edit: I would like to recognize that I do understand where a lot of people are coming from. It is ridiculous for him to write a sequel. And yes the music was more solid in Phantom, but the overall quality of a written play was there in LND. I think Weber has improved a lot over time.
It's no contest Phantom of the Opera

Dangerous Friend

7,050 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Brandisher 100
Never liked the concept and plot of Love Never Dies... emo I've never seen it, so I can't judge... xd :
LOVE heart heart heart The Phantom of The Opera, though. 25th Anniversary Performance at Royal Albert hall was SUPERB! My favorite. Ramin Karimloo has a gorgeous range.
As for the movie... burning_eyes
Gerard Buttcrack has THE WRONG VOICE in my opinion. Raoul was lacking character, and Christine was...off. I can't put my finger on it, but I couldn't bear to finish it.

Dangerous Friend

7,050 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Brandisher 100
I see that you all have taken an interest in my story. Is my darkness and sorrow amusing to you? No matter. You may discuss with me here.

Your Obedient Friend, O.G.

((Just advertising, LOL sorry))
Phantom 100%

Benevolent Gaian

8,200 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
Zelkiiro
Love Never Dies is a travesty to theater and an abominable abortion to Broadway.

Phantom of the Opera is merely solid.

I could not have put it better myself.

Love Never Dies is poorly written fanfiction and just.... nauseating. He took the characters' names and completely forgot about the characters.

I loved PotO when I was a teenager, I don't love it as much now. And I hate Sarah Brightman's voice.

Benevolent Gaian

8,200 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
Kestrel the Companion
Christine was...off. I can't put my finger on it, but I couldn't bear to finish it.

It's called vocal damage and not being the right voice type.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get Items
Get Gaia Cash
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games