Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gracious Cub

8,550 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Window Shopper 100
Did anyone see a date?

Time-traveling Senshi

Right now we just don't know. Both SOPA and PIPA are back on the drawing board to undergo some serious changes because the bills' authors realize that the public saw a lot of flaws with them. I've been seeing talk of them trying to run them through committee again next month. They need to go through the process of getting out of committee again.

7,600 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Heckler 50
  • Flatterer 200
ACTA is even worse and I highly doubt SOPA will be passed now.

The Anti-Counterfeiting Trade Agreement (ACTA) is a proposed plurilateral agreement for the purpose of establishing international standards on intellectual property rights enforcement.[1] It would establish an international legal framework for countries to join voluntarily,[2] and would create a governing body outside international institutions such as the World Trade Organization (WTO), the World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO) or the United Nations.[1][3] Negotiating countries have described it as a response "to the increase in global trade of counterfeit goods and pirated copyright protected works."[2] The scope of ACTA includes counterfeit goods, generic medicines and copyright infringement on the Internet.[4] Groups such as the Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF) oppose ACTA,[5] stating that civil society groups and developing countries were excluded from discussion during ACTA's development in an example of policy laundering.[6]

ACTA is SOPA's bigger meaner brother.

Invisible Dark Elf

31,125 Points
  • Battle Hardened 150
  • Invisibility 100
  • Demonic Associate 100
In short:
- ACTA is worldwide
- Your ISP puts surveillance on everything you do on the Internet
- If you're caught sharing any kind of copyrighted material, even if it's maybe a video of you at a party where copyrighted music played or a picture, they can disconnect you from the Internet and notify the copyright owner. The copyright owner can then press charges in court, which can end in you having a huge fine or going to prison.

Obama and some other country leaders already signed ACTA, and it'll take effect in 2013. But it's not too late to fight it.

Lonely Werewolf

9,950 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Pet Lover 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
>.> they shouldn't sign it it might affect them also I'm not sure but it might.

Invisible Dark Elf

31,125 Points
  • Battle Hardened 150
  • Invisibility 100
  • Demonic Associate 100
By the way, here's a video with a good thorough explanation of ACTA (even though the title says SOPA):

Gracious Cub

8,550 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Window Shopper 100
Pearl Fang
>.> they shouldn't sign it it might affect them also I'm not sure but it might.

The politicians themselves can find ways around their own laws.
emotion_jawdrop
cheese_whine

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas