Welcome to Gaia! ::

5,600 Points
  • Noob wrangler 100
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
Sandokiri
iroxursoxoff
I think you are right. These people are trying to control our personal lives. What's the big deal with the piracy thing. One person buys a cd and all his/her friends instantly get all the songs. that's the same thing right. So What if more people start trading?

Actually, it's not about control of personal lives; that's just a side effect. It's about trying to recapture control of information (and revenue) flow that they themselves gave up. To use music as a specific example, since it's the most common:

Most people think of the radio this way: ads are ads, and songs are the content. This is actually wrong: songs are also ads, which is why you tend to hear the same set of songs on many stations even if they have no-repeat day policies, and don't tend to hear full albums for most artists. It does happen once in a while, typically in the context of a station playing the artist's full discography, if not the station's, in some special event. The songs, ultimately, are intended to sell the albums. This is why they got peeved at the existence of mixtapes and suchlike.

It used to be the case that you could go to sites still considered legitimate today (such as cnet, download, go, and AOL and its foreign mirrors) and not only download music, but comparison-"shop" download clients based on ease of obtaining the hot artists of the day. Even now, they operate official Youtube channels as well as the VEVO group. All of this makes sense in light of the idea that songs will sell albums.

It hasn't worked. It's not that people don't want to buy - consider iTunes, and consider artists that sell their own music online. It's that the industry tends to push out product that resembles chicken nuggets more than gold nuggets. Instead of improving their methods and/or re-evaluating how they use the technology, they attack the technology.

That was COICA, and is SOPA, PROTECT IP (aka PIPA,) and ACTA: the industries trying to use the law to compensate for their own failures.
That might be the best take on the situation I've heard yet.

Dangerous Lunatic

Simple solution. Support the Pirate Party division in your country, help them change the system into direct/liquid democracy, take control.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pirate_party

Well, there are no simple solutions, but it is a start.
iroxursoxoff
That makes sense too but it still confuses me as to how they expect to stop piracy. In my opinion if I can get it for free why pay 20 bucks for it?

Because you should support the awesome people that made the content you consume instead of being a freetard?

6,150 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
There is no spoon...

Vector Theta's Husbando

Mega Man-Lover

iroxursoxoff
YWAF
iroxursoxoff
I think you are right. These people are trying to control our personal lives. What's the big deal with the piracy thing. One person buys a cd and all his/her friends instantly get all the songs. that's the same thing right. So What if more people start trading?
Because the internet =/= lives, you're not being forced to use a computer just for shits and giggles, and the song s**t is fairly different, you're letting them use your copy, not something you downloaded off the internet that has DRM to prevent piracy.
That makes sense too but it still confuses me as to how they expect to stop piracy. In my opinion if I can get it for free why pay 20 bucks for it?

Projects usually don't grow as well without funding of some kind. People who make movies and video games do it not just for your entertainment, but to earn a living. Personally I have no problem with getting things for free, but usually only as a try-before-you-buy sort of thing. I'm not spending 10 bucks on a movie that ends up sucking, and I'm not buying a product at an overinflated price in the second-hand market, where the original creators aren't seeing a cent of what's being made.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff