Welcome to Gaia! ::

Desirable Smoker

;3 So i have a 10 page article on Sopa im starting for composition and I need research i mean i have read millions of things about this but i am wondering what your guys views and opinions are and can you guys justify your arguments. Please feel free to post your thought and >.< none of that political name calling bs cause that seems to be most of this argument supporters being "communist" and opponents being "thieves" so please feel free to write your opinions it would be a huge help. biggrin
Black R3ap3r 201
;3 So i have a 10 page article on Sopa im starting for composition and I need research i mean i have read millions of things about this but i am wondering what your guys views and opinions are and can you guys justify your arguments. Please feel free to post your thought and >.< none of that political name calling bs cause that seems to be most of this argument supporters being "communist" and opponents being "thieves" so please feel free to write your opinions it would be a huge help. biggrin
I got something Sopa's a B word this has been a waste of time LOl

Familiar Prophet

7,875 Points
  • Overstocked 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Dressed Up 200
I J 3 R K l
Black R3ap3r 201

Stfu dude be serious ;3 if its stupid go post somewhere else
IlI Phsycotic Rampage lll
I J 3 R K l
Black R3ap3r 201

party pooper much hbu get a life eh?

Desirable Smoker

I J 3 R K l
I J 3 R K l
Black R3ap3r 201

how bout you get a life 2 ;3 <3 ya lexi and jerk i want to put the sopa is a (female dog) over and over again but i cant so if u not gonna help dont comment >.<

Familiar Prophet

7,875 Points
  • Overstocked 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Dressed Up 200
I J 3 R K l
I J 3 R K l
Black R3ap3r 201

How bout you grow some balls n stop harassing peoples s**t online because your to chicken s**t to say anything to people in real

Lonely Phantom

11,400 Points
  • Overstocked 200
  • Marathon 300
  • Object of Affection 150
Hello, well i know that SOPA wont ever make it in its current form, for it will kill what little money the goverment makes off the internet via lawsuits against the people they are trying to stop, that and it will collapse just about every internet based social and business site, so the fuss is all moot
oh, and dont mess with Rammy or reaper....i mean, cmon....you are so flogged, a public baffling

8,200 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Person of Interest 200
if you want to know my opinion check out my latest topic. http://www.gaiaonline.com/forum/sopa/sopa/t.78084927/?_gaia_t_=3934

Durem Champion

As for my opinion, I am very against SOPA, PIPA, and ACTA. Not for the purpose they are created for, but for the consequences they cause. Stopping piracy is something we need to look into, its a growing problem and it needs to be at least slowed down, as I find it hard if not impossible to stop. Furthermore, the internet itself does need regulation. With cyber attacks becoming a major national security threat, and groups such as anonymous threatening to shut down the internet, the reality of cyber crime is once again coming to the eyes of governments everywhere. Its always been an annoyance, but it hasn't been as much of a problem since the days of the Chaos computer club, cDc, and many other hacker groups of the 70-90s. Now it has come back, and the potential of threat is much greater. But as much as I would like to discuss that, you're asking about SOPA.

SOPA is a fairly good bill when taking a simple look at it. A bill to prevent stealing other peoples work. How bad can that be? However when taking a look at how they intend to prevent it, a problem becomes much clearer. First of all, a big problem thats attracted much attention for the bill is the DNS blocking. Under SOPA, someone could claim a website holds copyrighted material, and shut it down. Forcing it into a guilty-until-proven-innocent type of judicial system. Aside from that, it also could be abused to gain an advantage, as shutting down a competitor during cyber monday (monday after black friday for internet sales). Giving it a huge advantage in sales. Also it could be used for political gains. Shutting down a competitor in an election, or even more, shutting down activists against the government. Had SOPA passed prior to 2010, the government very easily could have used it to prevent wikileaks from releasing the diplomatic cables, and thus silencing their cause.

But its not just censorship that is the problem when it comes to DNS blocking, such a drastic change to the DNS infrastructure could damage it, stunt the growth of the internet, and bring possible potential for a 0-day cyber attack.

The potential for abuse brought upon by SOPA could prevent many forms of entertainment from existing on the internet anymore. The internet would likely fall back 20 years and be much more a tool for information rather than entertainment.

All of these reasons, plus more I'm not mentioning are why I disapprove of SOPA.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff