Welcome to Gaia! ::

7,450 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Brandisher 100
I was wondering about that.... confused
SOPA itself has been put on the back burner for the time being due largely in part to the "largest internet protest in history." That was due in large part to many of us.
Regardless, it is not gone for good. SOPA is still being pushed by the hypocritical b*****d who came up with that nonsense. It will have to undergo "major changes" to avoid this type of resistance in the future, however from what I can see no one is ever going to let this pass in any way whatsoever.
BUT
What you do need to realize now is that though SOPA and PIPA have been put on the back burner of the American congress, ACTA is still an enormous threat. ACTA is sort of like SOPA's violent and ill tempered older sibling. ACTA, like SOPA is designed largely in part to demolish freedom of speech, and has been discussed in secret by non government officials for years. In fact, those who have been discussing are not even democratically elected officials. This is important. Pay attention to this last bit. Not only is ACTA designed to trample freedom of speech in the same manner as SOPA and PIPA, but ACTA is also designed to make things like generic prescriptions illegal. That's right. A generic prescription will be illegal under ACTA because it apparently violates some kind of copyright law. So for those who can't afford thousand dollar name brand prescriptions, they will be unable to afford their medicine at all. Many will suffer. Many could die due to an inability to obtain life saving medicine because they can't afford it. This is a huge deal. In addition, ACTA could also make it so that crops that could be planted to feed and save lives will become illegal as well. This is an enormous deal. In face, even Anonymous has spoken out their rage at this. They are planning a protest, which I am participating in and encourage you to do as well. It's called "Black March". Basically the plan is for all participants to boycott copyrighted material in the month of March. The plan is not to buy any movie, DVD, book, CD, or video game. Also no downloading, legal or otherwise.
Get informed and Stay informed my friend.
The fate of freedom of speech is in our hands.

7,450 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Brandisher 100
blackhayete13
SOPA itself has been put on the back burner for the time being due largely in part to the "largest internet protest in history." That was due in large part to many of us.
Regardless, it is not gone for good. SOPA is still being pushed by the hypocritical b*****d who came up with that nonsense. It will have to undergo "major changes" to avoid this type of resistance in the future, however from what I can see no one is ever going to let this pass in any way whatsoever.
BUT
What you do need to realize now is that though SOPA and PIPA have been put on the back burner of the American congress, ACTA is still an enormous threat. ACTA is sort of like SOPA's violent and ill tempered older sibling. ACTA, like SOPA is designed largely in part to demolish freedom of speech, and has been discussed in secret by non government officials for years. In fact, those who have been discussing are not even democratically elected officials. This is important. Pay attention to this last bit. Not only is ACTA designed to trample freedom of speech in the same manner as SOPA and PIPA, but ACTA is also designed to make things like generic prescriptions illegal. That's right. A generic prescription will be illegal under ACTA because it apparently violates some kind of copyright law. So for those who can't afford thousand dollar name brand prescriptions, they will be unable to afford their medicine at all. Many will suffer. Many could die due to an inability to obtain life saving medicine because they can't afford it. This is a huge deal. In addition, ACTA could also make it so that crops that could be planted to feed and save lives will become illegal as well. This is an enormous deal. In face, even Anonymous has spoken out their rage at this. They are planning a protest, which I am participating in and encourage you to do as well. It's called "Black March". Basically the plan is for all participants to boycott copyrighted material in the month of March. The plan is not to buy any movie, DVD, book, CD, or video game. Also no downloading, legal or otherwise.

I knew the gist of what you said, but....oh s**t. SOPA isn`t as bad as ACTA, like i thought before..... emotion_facepalm They both should be thrown out though because its going against our governments constitution, which is treason....
Bankaiglade
blackhayete13
BUT

I knew the gist of what you said, but....oh s**t. SOPA isn`t as bad as ACTA, like i thought before..... emotion_facepalm They both should be thrown out though because its going against our governments constitution, which is treason....

Yeah, but treason is defined by the government. And it's the government doing this. SOPA I mean. The idiots behind ACTA are non elected officials. There was no democracy or government involved in that one. And ACTA is on a global scale.

7,450 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Brandisher 100
blackhayete13
Bankaiglade
blackhayete13
BUT

Yeah, but treason is defined by the government. And it's the government doing this. SOPA I mean. The idiots behind ACTA are non elected officials. There was no democracy or government involved in that one. And ACTA is on a global scale.

I see. So basically....we are screwed. sad
Bankaiglade
blackhayete13
Bankaiglade
blackhayete13
BUT

No, we are not. The fate of the government is in the hands of her people. There are petitions and activism. There are dozens of channels to go through to get your voice heard. President Obama Himself has spoken out against these bills. There are petitions to sign. There are so many things that can be done. Speak out and have your voice heard.

7,450 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Brandisher 100
blackhayete13
Bankaiglade
blackhayete13
Bankaiglade
blackhayete13
BUT

No, we are not. The fate of the government is in the hands of her people. There are petitions and activism. There are dozens of channels to go through to get your voice heard. President Obama Himself has spoken out against these bills. There are petitions to sign. There are so many things that can be done. Speak out and have your voice heard.

You said yourself they are changing the format of SOPA & ACTA, so there isn`t a way for the people to do anything, legally. And i do not believe obama spoke out about SOPA or ACTA....

Hilarious Regular

5,000 Points
  • Voter 100
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
He spoke out against sopa yes threatening to veto it if it came to power but as far as i know not acta. How could non elected officals have this kind of power to change our very lives in secret? If that aint a form of treasson I do not know what is. This is all greedy corporations fault mad mad scream scream scream > sad

Dangerous Shapeshifter

11,200 Points
  • Grunny Rainbow 100
  • Grunny Grabber 50
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
This society our gov't is building lat those idiots even think about all those bills...I blame society. -.-
But how can we be heard now?(Ppl that dont live in the states)

Stone-cold Warlord

11,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Survivor 150
  • Tooth Fairy 100
As a non-US citizen, I'm doing what I can to protect my culture from US moguls who'd seek to subjugate it. But the thing is, these guys are a threat to the US culture as well. They have an idea of what they want the people of USA to be, with no room for difference. They have no respect for their fellow men. So why should you and I respect them?
Someone is getting the wrong idea about the generic medicine. The act is NOT going after those products. It's going after counterfeit products that are provided through internet websites. Trying to ban generic medicines is like telling supermarkets to no longer sell the cheaper alternatives to brand name products.

Ruthless Businessman

8,150 Points
  • Profitable 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Bidding War 100
no ACTA is taking it's place
blackhayete13
BUT

The part that scares me about ACTA is the medication and crop thing. If this s**t passes, well ACTA will be a form of genocide if you think about it. May people will die either from starvation, or lack of medication.
the democrats are trying to bring it back in a new bill.

The Committee Staff Strategist

9,790 Points
  • Friend of the Goat 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • The Committee Staff 25
I laugh at our government's stupidity...

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff