8,500 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Profitable 100
FBI May Shut Down Your Internet Access March 8th
February 15, 2012
Print Version

Activist Post

This March 8th, the FBI is planning to unplug DNS servers it set up to help eliminate malware from over half of Fortune 500 companies and government agencies still infected in early 2012.

The change could potentially leave a great number of Internet users without access to the Web.

InfoWorld reports:

...the feds replaced the criminals' servers with clean ones that would push along traffic to its intended destination. Without the surrogate servers in place, infected PCs would have continued trying to send requests to aim at the now-unplugged rogue servers, resulting in DNS errors.

The malware, called DNSChanger Trojan, is said to illegally redirect traffic and prevent users from accessing the updates necessary to remove it. Without access to these critical patches, these large companies, government agencies, and home users are said to be more susceptible to hackers.

This prompted InfoWorld to wonder:

This fact does raise the question of why so many Fortune 500 companies and government agencies have failed to notice they have a problem, as they presumably have IT security professionals on staff who should be monitoring such incidents.

Those computers still infected with the Trojan will not be able to access the Internet after the FBI shuts down their temporary servers.

The feds received a court order in November, 2011 to replace the "rogue" servers with surrogate servers to operate "just long enough for companies and home users to remove DNSChanger malware from their machines."

Rod Rasmussen, president of Internet security company Internet ID, told Krebs on Security that there are still millions of PCs infected with DNSChanger. “At this rate, a lot of users are going to see their Internet break on March 8.”

A working group advising the FBI is said to be considering requesting an extension of the court order to give more time to users of infected machines to remove the malware.

Although this may indeed be a very real problem that Internet users must be vigilant to protect themselves from, depending on the government to provide servers when their own agencies are infected doesn't seem like a trustworthy solution. Additionally, a previous private-government working group put together in 2009 to combat the Conficker Worm has accomplished very little as 3 million computers are still said to be infected.

These viruses are called Trojans because they are disguised as something friendly, enter computers, and then install malicious software. Someone with a healthy distrust of the government may see the FBI's warning that millions will be cut off from the Internet as a Trojan Horse itself so that they may retain control over the new servers.

After all, if the FBI is controlling the "legitimate" servers, wouldn't they have access to all the traffic information of individual users and large corporations?

To ensure your computer is not infected please follow the instructions here. And follow Krebs on Security for news updates pertaining to this story.

Please enable JavaScript to view the comments powered by Disqus.

Copyright © 2006-2011 BlackListedNews.com

Dapper Explorer

Hentai Mex

Could you generously provide a link to the article you got this from?
don't believe hype
If they do.I think the usa will hate them and we will go into war with ourselves over internet xD
they are low life scum if they do that
Don't spread ignorant rubbish. This isn't the FBI shutting down your internet access AT ALL. If you'd read and understood the actual story, you'd know that what they did was, some time ago, they went to shut down some DNS servers overseas that were used in redirect trojans and then found out that so many computers, including US government computers, were infected and wouldn't be able to get to the internet at all if those servers were shut down so they decided to use US government money to keep those servers up and run them as legit DNS servers (no virus redirects). Now, they can't afford to keep that up and the computer security community has pointed out to them that leaving so many computers infected with trojans (even ones that are now pointing at responsible servers) is dangerous so they've decided to stop offering running those DNS servers and just take them offline which will save money and force people with infected computers to clean up and protect themselves properly in the future.

Durem Champion

The government isn't shutting down your internet, they are shutting down servers that trap a virus, so if your infected, you need to redownload an operating system, or backup to a time where you weren't infected, and then your internet is back. Did you even read The article you just posted?

Durem Champion

Kilted
Don't spread ignorant rubbish. This isn't the FBI shutting down your internet access AT ALL. If you'd read and understood the actual story, you'd know that what they did was, some time ago, they went to shut down some DNS servers overseas that were used in redirect trojans and then found out that so many computers, including US government computers, were infected and wouldn't be able to get to the internet at all if those servers were shut down so they decided to use US government money to keep those servers up and run them as legit DNS servers (no virus redirects). Now, they can't afford to keep that up and the computer security community has pointed out to them that leaving so many computers infected with trojans (even ones that are now pointing at responsible servers) is dangerous so they've decided to stop offering running those DNS servers and just take them offline which will save money and force people with infected computers to clean up and protect themselves properly in the future.
its a sad day when everyone looms at news articles and assumes the government is attacking them. Glad some of us are actually intelligent.

╔════════ ════════╗

If they shut down the internet,
I'm packing my things and moving
back to England.

╚════════ ════════╝

Durem Champion

x-Pretty Girl Cherish

╔════════ ════════╗

back to England.

╚════════ ════════╝
don't worry, they won't. OP just didn't read what she posted before posting it. If it does get shut down its because you got yourself infected with a virus, not because of the government is shutting you down.

Wheezing Ladykiller

11,175 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Party Animal 100
  • Somebody Likes You 100
There's a universe inside my mind...

What?! This sounds like something coming from my racist senile grandfather.

Full of secrets that I'm yet to find.

Shameless Heckler

12,225 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
Marking this thread, I will have my reply on March 9th , but I fully expect nothing will happen.

Merry Demigod

It's like we've worked for two entire decades
Developing something that gives each of us
The ability and access to express ourselves
As individuals
What happened to our freedom?
It seems like this is yet another force field
The government has inflicted upon us to enable more control
More power..
Why do we have the least of the say?
Why is it that the uneducated of the Internet
Are the ones calling all the shots?
The ones that don't understand the concept of the world wide web..
Each and everyone of us is a product of the Internet
The Internet is a product of us!
It has grown with us and nourished within our generation
And as it stands now I will not let it be taken control of
By some power hungry ********

******** S.O.P.A.!

The Internet allows us a chance at gaining more access to tools which would in turn
Speed the process of learning, communicating and sharing
It enables us to gain awareness of what's happening across the globe
And share what we see or hear
Social networking sites have granted us the ability to share information that much easier
Songs, pictures, videos
How could something as simple as posting a link generated by the Internet
Be classified as copyright infringement
Therefore forcing sites to feel obligated to take them all down
What would the Internet really be without rebloging, reposting, retweeting
The Internet was created to make lives easier, not harder
The Internet was developed to break our limits, not create them

Oh yeah

******** S.O.P.A.!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8p_A5KrwGc[/quote

Please Post on as many other Sopa Threads as possible!

( Started by AnarchyInTheSoul. Song Belongs to Arion )
Infix
x-Pretty Girl Cherish

╔════════ ════════╗

back to England.

╚════════ ════════╝
don't worry, they won't. OP just didn't read what she posted before posting it. If it does get shut down its because you got yourself infected with a virus, not because of the government is shutting you down.

You do have a point, but wouldn't that still count as the government blocking you from the internet? I'm a bit confused.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff