Welcome to Gaia! ::

Michi Me Yo
Kilted
artbin
Copyrighting is a dead and useless tool. It either needs to be revised or not exist since there is no way to really protect it. Certain people and companies fail to realize that we live in the Internet Age. It's not 1955 anymore, it's 2012 and the 1% that hold all the cards fail to realize this.
Copyright is important because it gives the individual rights to their own creation. Without copyright, the major labels and studios and publishers wouldn't have to negotiate with musicians and artists and singers for new creations. They could just take it and because they have a lot of money, there's very little an individual could do against them. Copyright law needs to be updated to strengthen the public domain, protect innovation and reward creativity, even in the Internet Age.

Why not strengthen individual copyright while limiting corporate? A writer of a book should hold the copyright not the publishing company yet 9 out of 10 times it's the publishing company that will go after individuals. Same applies to music, movies, etc.

I would rather individuals keep their own creative works under their control than handing it over to a corporation. Perhaps a shift like this would be what we need right now.

Plus two of the biggest sources of copyright infringement come from the Middle East and Asia. Until you can control the streets of those areas, this issue will never die.

Both of you make valid points. However, copyrighting is now a remnant of a broken business model. And who's to say that giant labels and corporations don't take it anyway? They tend to scam artists and go for what's best for them (themselves). So is piracy really a problem? Or are out dated and broken business models the problem?

Truth is copyright does very little to protect your work nowadays and even if you did get said protection you will get extreme censorship, sopa was proof of this.

So in the end is it really worth it? Is your creation that much more important than basic human rights? I don't know about you Kilted but I would rather have my born given rights then have to deal with some dumb music file. Besides if we people had the chance to get things more wouldn't that make the world a better place? Modern copyrighting laws in a way surpress societal and scientific advancement, you must know this.

I agree with Michi in some points. Individuals should own what they made. It's fine to own your work but now we are agreeing in keeping this idea of copyrighting, great you own your work now protect it, thousands of people in a single city are pirating your work on the otherside of the globe. How do you fight this? You turn to a larger company since you don't have the means or funds to combat this yourself and now we are back at square one again.

Dedicated Loiterer

14,625 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Champion 300
  • Ultimate Player 200
Blizzard has gone the way of the internet with their upcoming game Diablo 3. Everything will always be online. That way it's very hard to crack and copy the game because it would register it right away.

There are ways to stop piracy without having to resort to dramatic actions. Just be smarter than the average user.
But it's not a choice between copyright and human rights. SOPA tried to make it that, but that's absurd. It's actually article 27b in the Universal Declaration of Human Rights that people should have a right to benefit from their own creative and scientific work.

3,200 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Consumer 100
  • Wall Street 200
I AGREE STEALING IS JUST WRONG AND ITS REALLY DUMB THATS WHY I M A GOOD GIRL

3,200 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Consumer 100
  • Wall Street 200

3,200 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Consumer 100
  • Wall Street 200
the one thing is i know god sees what people do wrong i was once a Sinner like the World but not Anymore i am loving jesus soooo much
Please do not proselytize in this thread, Tiffany. It is off-topic and therefore considered spamming.

Sage

8,350 Points
  • Angelic Alliance 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Generous 100
Yilanti Midnight
Blizzard has gone the way of the internet with their upcoming game Diablo 3. Everything will always be online. That way it's very hard to crack and copy the game because it would register it right away.

There are ways to stop piracy without having to resort to dramatic actions. Just be smarter than the average user.

Thats what EA did with Red Alert 3 - Uprising since it was an offline game

Invisible Elder

12,050 Points
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Overstocked 200
  • Alchemy Level 2 100
Ever since I discovered Creative Commons on Deviantart I've been licensing all my uploads with the attribution-noncommercial-share alike licence

it even adds a handy link to your work that explains EXACTLY what that means in short
yzm
I'm sure a lot of people would agree with SOPA if they were music artists and people listened to their music on YouTube. That's money out of their pocket.

I agree with the idea, the basic purpose of sopa. The issue is how the bill is written. It gives way too much power to the government. For example, under sopa/pipa if someone went to google and searched "watch new movies now" and google popped up a list of pirating websites at which you could breach copyright laws, then under sopa/pipa google is considered as "enabling" theft of us property and therefore can be shut down without due cause.

SOPA and PIPA FYI

7,650 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Junior Trader 100
I read an article recently that made me have an ah-ha moment. It talked about how record companies report losing millions from internet piracy. Nothing new. It also mentioned how in all honesty, they aren't losing as much as they're crying over. I'm not saying it's not something that happens, but really how many of those people didn't have the money to purchase their products? How many of those people might be willing to spend 15 dollars on a certain cd but not 20? And let's remember that piracy actually led to tv shows marketing their product by the season on dvds because before it was readily available people would upload the episodes for everyone else to see. That one still is actually a problem with some shows. What if you want to see something that airs in another country but doesn't here? (I love u Merlin <3)

The article just made me think about how much I related to it. Something to think about. Would you still listen to all of your music if you hadn't obtained some of it illegally, whether to sample it or enjoy forever? Have you ever felt cheated when you're tempted to buy one of the more expensive albums? For that fact, have you ever felt cheated when online music with no physical property was the exact same price as buying the physical cd? Worst yet, how would you feel if you couldn't watch your favorite show at all and never knew how it ended? Each of these questions sour with contempt for SOPA in my mind.

Sage

8,350 Points
  • Angelic Alliance 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Generous 100
Dreamy Zombie Candy
I read an article recently that made me have an ah-ha moment. It talked about how record companies report losing millions from internet piracy. Nothing new. It also mentioned how in all honesty, they aren't losing as much as they're crying over. I'm not saying it's not something that happens, but really how many of those people didn't have the money to purchase their products? How many of those people might be willing to spend 15 dollars on a certain cd but not 20? And let's remember that piracy actually led to tv shows marketing their product by the season on dvds because before it was readily available people would upload the episodes for everyone else to see. That one still is actually a problem with some shows. What if you want to see something that airs in another country but doesn't here?[1] (I love u Merlin <3)

The article just made me think about how much I related to it. Something to think about. Would you still listen to all of your music if you hadn't obtained some of it illegally, whether to sample it or enjoy forever? Have you ever felt cheated when you're tempted to buy one of the more expensive albums? For that fact, have you ever felt cheated when online music with no physical property was the exact same price as buying the physical cd? Worst yet, how would you feel if you couldn't watch your favorite show at all and never knew how it ended[2]? Each of these questions sour with contempt for SOPA in my mind.

1. If that were to happen alot of great anime would probably never make it to the US

2. Obvious it would be bugging me for several years and I would never be able to get my mind off of it. One such example is a game preview I saw on one of my uncle's Xbox demo CDs I've been looking for it for over 5 years and its been so long that my memories about it are blurry and vague the only part I remember clearly is a scene with a black screen with white text saying "A saga like no other"

So far Saga Frontier seems to be the closet match but I don't think thats it either.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff