Welcome to Gaia! ::

Most people here are against SOPA. And if all you're going to do is bash on your keyboard and hit submit, you'd better stick to the Chatterbox forum. That's not allowed in here.

Rainbow Lover

22,625 Points
  • Shady Hands Squad 250
  • Married 100
  • Cat Fancier 100
One of my main problems with "what's copyrighted and whats isnt" on some artwork is the obvious- who's to say? I mean ,take this pic I got off photobucket:

User Image
who is that? who created that ? Is it public domain? How can I give credit to someone if I don't know who made it? What about icons that were made years ago and no one knows who made them? Copyrighted? Maybe.

some images are hard to say who owns them and who doesn't since no name is given. On deviantart, people put their names or watermarks on their stuff. But most online images have none.

Rainbow Lover

22,625 Points
  • Shady Hands Squad 250
  • Married 100
  • Cat Fancier 100
and I did not mean for it to be that big sweatdrop
Certainly that is true and its a problem that existed pre-Internet. If no copyright owner can be established, it's called an orphan work and can't be used. There's a few things that can be done online - one is to do a reverse image search on a site like TinEye or Google Reverse Image search.

Benevolent Genius

13,900 Points
  • Grunny Harvester 150
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Mark Twain 100
This needs more love. emotion_bigheart

Benevolent Genius

13,900 Points
  • Grunny Harvester 150
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Mark Twain 100
anadentone
One of my main problems with "what's copyrighted and whats isnt" on some artwork is the obvious- who's to say? I mean ,take this pic I got off photobucket:

http://i1227.photobucket.com/albums/ee438/Ninjakat1/Anime/Cute-Anime-girl-wallpaper.jpg
who is that? who created that ? Is it public domain? How can I give credit to someone if I don't know who made it? What about icons that were made years ago and no one knows who made them? Copyrighted? Maybe.

some images are hard to say who owns them and who doesn't since no name is given. On deviantart, people put their names or watermarks on their stuff. But most online images have none.
No, it's not, it's by Tinkle aka Tinkerbell aka Setsuna Harukaze. She's a doujinishi-ka/independent comic artist. A BIG problem is that some people take foreign artists' art and edit the name out or whatever, which makes it hard for people like us to find them without digging around.
Thanks, Tenko. heart

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces