Welcome to Gaia! ::

kewefefe
So if we were to use pictures on our posts, do we just cite the information like you would in a paper? And in the case that you edit your picture, would you provide a link to the original picture and a citation? Would that cover your basis? Because I understand paper citations, it's the Internet ones / photo citations that get me. Sorry, I haven't had a chance to read all of the information.

EDIT: Also when linking to youtube videos (or anything else for that manner), do you need a citation as well? Or is a link to an outside source okay not to cite?
There's not anything so formal as bibliography format. The basic rule of thumb is that anyone who views the work should be able to find the artist if they like it (unless the artist waived that right). How you do that depends on the source - some Creative Commons licenses require 'attribution' which just means you credit the artist ("by kewefefe). Some artists ask that you "link back" which just means you link their name in your credit info to the original webpage where interested viewers can find their work. As for youtube videos, since the link is there already (right-click, Watch on YouTube), you may not need to do anything extra unless the video creator asks you to. However, it's a lot trickier than that if the art or video you're linking to has copyright content in it - fanwork, for example. You need to know enough about copyright to make good decisions about whether to use that work or not... which is part of the reason for this thread.
Whispering Mink
All of this is giving me an unnecessary headache >.>
sad I'm sorry. *Passes you two paracetomol* It is very confusing, but that's the way most law is and that seems to go double for copyright law atm.

Thieving Pirate

22,050 Points
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Battle: Rogue 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
Kilted
kewefefe
So if we were to use pictures on our posts, do we just cite the information like you would in a paper? And in the case that you edit your picture, would you provide a link to the original picture and a citation? Would that cover your basis? Because I understand paper citations, it's the Internet ones / photo citations that get me. Sorry, I haven't had a chance to read all of the information.

EDIT: Also when linking to youtube videos (or anything else for that manner), do you need a citation as well? Or is a link to an outside source okay not to cite?
There's not anything so formal as bibliography format. The basic rule of thumb is that anyone who views the work should be able to find the artist if they like it (unless the artist waived that right). How you do that depends on the source - some Creative Commons licenses require 'attribution' which just means you credit the artist ("by kewefefe). Some artists ask that you "link back" which just means you link their name in your credit info to the original webpage where interested viewers can find their work. As for youtube videos, since the link is there already (right-click, Watch on YouTube), you may not need to do anything extra unless the video creator asks you to. However, it's a lot trickier than that if the art or video you're linking to has copyright content in it - fanwork, for example. You need to know enough about copyright to make good decisions about whether to use that work or not... which is part of the reason for this thread.

That makes enough sense. I think I understand the original art and such. The trademark material is what is getting me. For example, let's say you made a thread about Disney's Tangled (I use Disney because it is the easiest example I could think of) If you were to use photos from Disney itself how would you do the copyright for that? I think everyone would know that it was a screenshot, but you never know. Or if you used photos from a popular anime?
kewefefe
Kilted
kewefefe

That makes enough sense. I think I understand the original art and such. The trademark material is what is getting me. For example, let's say you made a thread about Disney's Tangled (I use Disney because it is the easiest example I could think of) If you were to use photos from Disney itself how would you do the copyright for that? I think everyone would know that it was a screenshot, but you never know. Or if you used photos from a popular anime?
Yeah, that's tricky. In terms of making a thread about the movie and illustrating it with screenshots, the article would make it clear where those screenshots were from and afaik that would fall under fair use. If you're asking about making fanart or fan video, I can't really recommend anything other than to read the fan-related copyright link from the first page.

Thieving Pirate

22,050 Points
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Battle: Rogue 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
Kilted
kewefefe
Kilted
kewefefe

Yeah, that's tricky. In terms of making a thread about the movie and illustrating it with screenshots, the article would make it clear where those screenshots were from and afaik that would fall under fair use. If you're asking about making fanart or fan video, I can't really recommend anything other than to read the fan-related copyright link from the first page.

I see. @__@ When you start getting into the details of everything the water starts to get muddy especially with fan based things. Like in the case that you are using a character's image (and nothing else) for a roleplay. I don't even know where to put that. Tch, I give up. I don't blame the companies for not wanting their work taken without citation, but at the same time all of this just gets confusing when you are trying to not steal. Ya know?

5,550 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
Kilted
Whispering Mink
All of this is giving me an unnecessary headache >.>
sad I'm sorry. *Passes you two paracetomol* It is very confusing, but that's the way most law is and that seems to go double for copyright law atm.

*Laughs* Aaaw, you sweet thing, you don't need to apologize for someone else's laws (:
But I fully agree with you, on the fact that most laws are rather confusing, but hey, they're handling massive ethical issues, so of course it can't be light reading.
My brain is just not fit for any heavy reading at the moment - having more than enough of that, during my studies (:

Angelic Blob

What bothers me with this SOPA panic, is that most of the threads, postings, and comments by people are ones of "oh noes, I won't be able to use the internet".

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff