Welcome to Gaia! ::

8,050 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Super Tipsy 200
  • Tycoon 200
Nyao-chan
Kilted
Nyao-chan
For the simple fact that said character doesn't belong to them. It really is as simple as that...it's retarded, but that's the way it is. Just because you aren't profitting off of it doesn't mean you have some god-given right to use it.

Some people are just...VERY possessive of their intellectual property, right down to their fictional characters.
That's not actually true. It's not that clearcut. You can read more about it in the Fanficition and Fanart FAQ link.

I'm not speaking in terms of legality. Some people just don't want their s**t used, even for fan works, and people should try to respect that.
I say if you never wanted your characters used, you might as well have never made them public. There's a difference between fanon and canon.

Canon is official; It's what the authors say their character does. Fanon is speculation/what the fans want the characters to do; The two shouldn't tie in with each other, and if the author doesn't like the fanon, then they shouldn't read it. Being a**l about it just serves to make them look like a p***k. >3>

and besides, stories are supposed to foster creativity, not stifle it by saying "oh nooooo you can't say that my character did that!!! LAWSUIT!!"
Kittens Addicted
And companies have all kinds of ways of getting around copyright laws to hold their items even longer. You know how long Mickey Mouse has been around? And you can still get busted for the simplest things.

I don't know if this question was already answered, but Mickey Mouse is different. It's Disney's trademark, not just another cartoon. So I think that's why it's allowed to be copyrighted indefinitely...and it does make sense. Imagine if other companies didn't even own the rights to their own trademarks anymore. It would be kind of silly.
people say SOPA takes away freedom of speech and freedom in general

so like tumblr giving credit to images from pixiv is a bad thing?
for example
zippythecellist
Kittens Addicted
And companies have all kinds of ways of getting around copyright laws to hold their items even longer. You know how long Mickey Mouse has been around? And you can still get busted for the simplest things.

I don't know if this question was already answered, but Mickey Mouse is different. It's Disney's trademark, not just another cartoon. So I think that's why it's allowed to be copyrighted indefinitely...and it does make sense. Imagine if other companies didn't even own the rights to their own trademarks anymore. It would be kind of silly.
Mickey Mouse is a Disney trademark, that's true and as such it is protected for as long as they want to use it to represent the Disney brand but Steamboat Willie, the most famous early Mickey cartoon, is only still copyrighted because congress extended all copyrights just as it was about to run out on that cartoon.

There are works with perpetual copyright such as Peter Pan which Barrie gave to Greater Ormand Street Children's Hospital - that has a specific exemptions under UK law to make that copyright never expire.
Kilted
But Steamboat Willie, the most famous early Mickey cartoon, is only still copyrighted because congress extended all copyrights just as it was about to run out on that cartoon.

There are works with perpetual copyright such as Peter Pan which Barrie gave to Greater Ormand Street Children's Hospital - that has a specific exemptions under UK law to make that copyright never expire.

And *thats* the kind of s**t copyright was meant to PREVENT. Because of all these moronic companies paying off the government to extend copyright terms for stupid amounts of time, now an artist of any kind has an even harder time making a living since people are so accustomed to giving the finger to copyright and pirating their work; even IF they don't agree with the life+50 bullshit.

What we REALLY need to see happen, (and this is coming from a musician btw) is going back to the copyright act of 1831 levels. But obviously modifying the act to account for modern innovations. Copyright should only be 50 years to the life of the creator, and written to allow more reasonable fair use. Not to mention putting all the works that were robbed from the public under the "mickey mouse" act BACK in the public domain. These companies using the same s**t over and over from old geniuses are making it really hard for LIVING geniuses to make a living!
scream sopa go some place else ur stupid
numb: e nouth ish bumb

Lonely Hunter

It's like we've worked for two entire decades
Developing something that gives each of us
The ability and access to express ourselves
As individuals
What happened to our freedom?
It seems like this is yet another force field
The government has inflicted upon us to enable more control
More power..
Why do we have the least of the say?
Why is it that the uneducated of the Internet
Are the ones calling all the shots?
The ones that don't understand the concept of the world wide web..
Each and everyone of us is a product of the Internet
The Internet is a product of us!
It has grown with us and nourished within our generation
And as it stands now I will not let it be taken control of
By some power hungry ********

******** S.O.P.A.!

The Internet allows us a chance at gaining more access to tools which would in turn
Speed the process of learning, communicating and sharing
It enables us to gain awareness of what's happening across the globe
And share what we see or hear
Social networking sites have granted us the ability to share information that much easier
Songs, pictures, videos
How could something as simple as posting a link generated by the Internet
Be classified as copyright infringement
Therefore forcing sites to feel obligated to take them all down
What would the Internet really be without rebloging, reposting, retweeting
The Internet was created to make lives easier, not harder
The Internet was developed to break our limits, not create them

Oh yeah

******** S.O.P.A.!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8p_A5KrwGc[/quote

Please Post on as many other Sopa Threads as possible!

( Started by AnarchyInTheSoul. Song Belongs to Arion )
This just makes me weary and confused.

Invisible Fairy

8,350 Points
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Timid 100
Copyright isn't theft. It's copying confused

Thieving Pirate

13,900 Points
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Battle: Rogue 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
So if we were to use pictures on our posts, do we just cite the information like you would in a paper? And in the case that you edit your picture, would you provide a link to the original picture and a citation? Would that cover your basis? Because I understand paper citations, it's the Internet ones / photo citations that get me. Sorry, I haven't had a chance to read all of the information.

EDIT: Also when linking to youtube videos (or anything else for that manner), do you need a citation as well? Or is a link to an outside source okay not to cite?

5,550 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
All of this is giving me an unnecessary headache >.>
Muffins and Teacups
Copyright isn't theft. It's copying confused
Copyright is a legal protection you have to control certain aspects of how your own work is used. Perhaps you mean violating copyright? If you waltz into someone's art thread, copy their drawings and use them on your own profile, that's theft. If you buy a song on itunes, burn 100 copies of it to cd and give them to everyone at your school, that's theft. I could go on, but I think most people understand how those things would be theft. That much seems pretty clear to me and its all you'll get if you ask the Copyright office (or check out their resources for teaching copyright) but it's not really enough. There's lots of very interesting gray areas and certain exemptions under copyright law that I want more people to learn about - like second sale (the provision that lets used bookstores run), parody and fair use rights, public domain, and the rights of fans to make creative fandom work. That's where the resources in this thread can be really helpful.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get Items
Get Gaia Cash
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games