Welcome to Gaia! ::

I don't like SOPA. I eventually hate it. (especially the blackout)

Dapper Noob

5,850 Points
  • Grunny Harvester 150
  • Elocutionist 200
OverIy Epux
Kilted
OverIy Epux
I just don't get how it's a problem to use copyrighted work for things like fanart and fanfiction if you're not asking for payment. Is the government gonna arrest every 5 year old who draws a picture of their favorite cartoon chatacter?
"Because too many people are doing it for the government to stop them all" is not really a defense... its more sort of the opposite of a defense. There is a link in the first post to a serious and in-depth discussion on the legality of fanwork. It's a grey area but I still think its important for anyone interested in fanwork and fan culture to know a bit about copyright and how it relates to fandom and remix cultures.

I'm not saying "Too many people are doing it" That's a stupid argument. What I'm saying is that just because someone makes a drawing of a character they like, out of respect and admiration, why would somebody see this as infringing on their copyrights?

For the simple fact that said character doesn't belong to them. It really is as simple as that...it's retarded, but that's the way it is. Just because you aren't profitting off of it doesn't mean you have some god-given right to use it.

Some people are just...VERY possessive of their intellectual property, right down to their fictional characters. I know it's hard for some people to wrap their heads around, but there are authors, etc out there who...don't want fanworks created of their characters, period.
Nyao-chan
For the simple fact that said character doesn't belong to them. It really is as simple as that...it's retarded, but that's the way it is. Just because you aren't profitting off of it doesn't mean you have some god-given right to use it.

Some people are just...VERY possessive of their intellectual property, right down to their fictional characters.
That's not actually true. It's not that clearcut. You can read more about it in the Fanficition and Fanart FAQ link.

Dapper Noob

5,850 Points
  • Grunny Harvester 150
  • Elocutionist 200
Kilted
Nyao-chan

Some people are just...VERY possessive of their intellectual property, right down to their fictional characters.
That's not actually true. It's not that clearcut. You can read more about it in the Fanficition and Fanart FAQ link.

I'm not speaking in terms of legality. Some people just don't want their s**t used, even for fan works, and people should try to respect that.
Nyao-chan
Kilted
Nyao-chan

I'm not speaking in terms of legality. Some people just don't want their s**t used, even for fan works, and people should try to respect that.
Why? I don't think that has anything to do with it. If you start saying it does, you'd have to be prepared even for Saturday Night Live to have to refrain from doing sketches on political candidates because the candidates are worried it might hurt their poll numbers. Copyright law is there as much to protect the rights of non-content owners to be innovative and creative as it is to protect the right of content owners to profit from their own work.
ii G a k u p o
I already signed the petition to stop it, but some senators need to vote on it for it to go away forever. It's just a shame that they want to censor useful sites like google, but I am sure everything will turn out just fine, if we all hope so and take measures.

I am a blogger and an artist, I don't want blog sites and art sites to be censored because of those people.

Hoping so won't do anything.

Sparkly Shapeshifter

Nyao-chan
OverIy Epux
Kilted
OverIy Epux
I just don't get how it's a problem to use copyrighted work for things like fanart and fanfiction if you're not asking for payment. Is the government gonna arrest every 5 year old who draws a picture of their favorite cartoon chatacter?
"Because too many people are doing it for the government to stop them all" is not really a defense... its more sort of the opposite of a defense. There is a link in the first post to a serious and in-depth discussion on the legality of fanwork. It's a grey area but I still think its important for anyone interested in fanwork and fan culture to know a bit about copyright and how it relates to fandom and remix cultures.

I'm not saying "Too many people are doing it" That's a stupid argument. What I'm saying is that just because someone makes a drawing of a character they like, out of respect and admiration, why would somebody see this as infringing on their copyrights?

Some people are just...VERY possessive of their intellectual property, right down to their fictional characters. I know it's hard for some people to wrap their heads around, but there are authors, etc out there who...don't want fanworks created of their characters, period.

So you are saying, 5 year olds drawing their favourite cartoon character should be snatched up?

Shadowy Shapeshifter

10,925 Points
  • Luck of the Draw 50
  • Millionaire 200
  • Streaker 200
As a game designer its nice to know my government is passing ( well trying to... ) laws that make it harder for me to release my IPs and easier for others to steal them. I swear they use retarded monkeys to type up these laws.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff