Welcome to Gaia! ::

I do not quite understand what is going on here. Someone care to explain how ACTA and SOPA will effect me?

Boys&Girls;LetsMakeLove.

1,700 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Hygienic 200
I'm scared.

Genius

8,900 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Generous 100
  • Team Jacob 100
Ugh more acronyms... What's ACTA? -w-

Leaf

you mean the war it's already begun my child

Leaf

Azn_Expo_Marker
Ugh more acronyms... What's ACTA? -w-
google it

Stellar Helper

20,950 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Magical Gems 500
  • Battery 500
unredead
As far as I know, it's passed in the United States, Canada, Japan, South Korea, Australia, Morocco, New Zealand, Singapore, Switzerland, and the EU (and 22 member states). It has the potential to be signed in other countries as well because all the governments of the world seem hell-bent on regulating the internet, regardless of the damage it will cause not only to freedom of speech, free information, and civil rights but also to the infrastructure of the internet as a whole.

The beginning of the end of our rights indeed. stressed

if this was passed, why didn't I heard ANYTHING about ACTA over here in NZ?
Catgirl Kiti
Henrika
Catgirl Kiti
Autumn Splendor
Son Of Primus

Can't sign, not American =/

I signed it, and I'm Canadian.
Don't forget to oppose Bill C-11 too! Don't save the american internet only to abandon ours sad

I didn't. I also sent a letter to my MP, not that it matters because I'm sure the NDP wouldn't have been for the bill anyways. You can write a letter to your MP Here.
Actually I saw the vote count at prelim meetings (on the gov. website, though I don't have the link anymore) It was the mostly the NDP and Liberals voting it yes. Which worries me.... because It make me think Harper is holding out for something and will suddenly give his party the go ahead and it will pass.
musasgal
unredead
As far as I know, it's passed in the United States, Canada, Japan, South Korea, Australia, Morocco, New Zealand, Singapore, Switzerland, and the EU (and 22 member states). It has the potential to be signed in other countries as well because all the governments of the world seem hell-bent on regulating the internet, regardless of the damage it will cause not only to freedom of speech, free information, and civil rights but also to the infrastructure of the internet as a whole.

Canada signed in october, I didn't hear anything about it either, the dumb occupy people were still taking up the front page so everything else was ignored.

There were protests of over 200,000 people marching in poland to oppose their country signing on, and Poland still signed on regardless sad

I didn't hear about that either, not until I was actively researching it.

Stellar Helper

20,950 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Magical Gems 500
  • Battery 500
Henrika
musasgal
unredead

Canada signed in october, I didn't hear anything about it either, the dumb occupy people were still taking up the front page so everything else was ignored.

There were protests of over 200,000 people marching in poland to oppose their country signing on, and Poland still signed on regardless sad

I didn't hear about that either, not until I was actively researching it.

*nods*

What's the worse of it is that we're in the mists in the megaupload thing with the founder of it arrested over here....

Barking Puppy

13,525 Points
  • Doggone It! 100
  • Cats vs Dogs 100
  • Cat Fancier 100
unredead

am I the only one who's starting to believe 2012 will bring some sort of Apocalypse after all?
musasgal
unredead

Because the governments of all the countries listed above kept it secret since the beginning, or at least falsified the information to the point where no one would pursue it. It's a treaty that includes a multitude of things, not just 'censoring the internet' (though that is one of it's underlying goals). Anti Counterfeiting Trade Agreement isn't just about copyright infringement on the internet, it's about infringement elsewhere too.

ACTA in a nutshell
Minaki Cooper
unredead

am I the only one who's starting to believe 2012 will bring some sort of Apocalypse after all?

Maybe not an 'Apocalypse,' but I can see the world changing drastically (and not just because of ACTA/SOPA/PIPA).

3,550 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300
Oh Bear
I do not quite understand what is going on here. Someone care to explain how ACTA and SOPA will effect me?

Boys&Girls;LetsMakeLove.

Do you love Google and Wikipedia? What about GaiaOnline? Facebook? YouTube? GameFaQs? Kiss those sites goodbye. The government can now shut down these sites without mercy. How? Lets say you wanted to upload a video of you and your husband/wife first dance to YouTube. One problem, that song your dancing to is Copyrighted. That means you get arrested. Lets say alot of videos like that were on YouTube. The Government can now choose to block YouTube in your country, effectively shutting it down. Like to play games? Like to visit GameFaQs for walkthoughs or secrets you may have missed? Games are Copyrighted as well, which means GameFaQs were blocked in your country and you cant see those walkthoughs anymore or get hints. GaiaOnline? The site were on now? Why, there are LOTS of parody items on here. Ever hear of YouTuber LittleKuriboh, A.K.A CardGamesFTW? Yugioh Abridger? Go ahead and ask him how many times his account was taken down for uploading PARODY videos. TeamFourStar too, they upload parodies of DragonBall Z and their account has been taken down many times before. If companies are willing to take down well known people like LittleKuriboh and TeamFourStar on a well known site, what are the chances that companies wont squash us like a bug? Google could be censored too. Oh yeah, it could. I mean, those searches you do for videos, games or whatever can be taken down without notice.

Oh, and if you ever downloaded something from MegaUpload, RapidShare, LimeWire or any number of other P2P devices or sites (Which are PERFECTLY legal, unless advertised for piracy, but thats for later), you can kiss your mother, father, brother, sister, son, daughter, whoever you want to goodbye because you get a free trip to jail. Oh, you also get fined 150,000 dollars per infringed work. That means if you downloaded 3 songs, 1 game and 1 movie, thats 750,000 dollars you will never see again. Oh, you cant get out of it by declaring bankruptcy either, so better bust up alot of rocks in jail if you downloaded anything.

What else could happen? Anyone remember the PS3 hacker GeoHot? Cracked the PS3 to use Linux, was sued by Sony but the claim was settled out of court for a promise? The cops monitored his person website for anyway visiting it. Not downloading the code to hack the PS3, ANYONE visiting the site. That means if you were doing a report on GeoHot, you couldve been arrested on suspicion of infringing/hacking.

So, SOPA, PIPA and ACTA means the Government can now arrest you on a simple hunch that your up to no good. They dont even need PROOF that you were uploading or downloading something illegal. Want proof? MegaUpload was raided awhile ago. The Feds busted in like they owned the place. These laws werent even PASSED and they busted in the doors leaving heads spinning, flying off into the night sky yelling "Duh, winning" (*Cough* Sorry for the lame rap, this is serious, time for serious face stare ).

Oh, as I said before, many of these sites are legal. Under the MGM Verses Grokster ruling, you are allowed to distribute your P2P software/website, but you CANNOT advertise it for piracy. Oh, anyone remember CNET? A division of CBS/Viacom? Viacom are the people with Spongebob Squarepants. CNET wrote DOZENS of glowing reviews on how LimeWire, Morphious, Bit Torrent and dozens of other tools were the KINGS of PIRACY. They even taught people how to use the tools, gave out the DRM Removal tools and track masking tools so you can use their stuff "safely". They left these reviews up for over a decade (10 Years), so if anyone remembers these reviews, you know what Im talking about. Oh, heres another secret, many of the cheerleaders for these laws, like CBS/Viacom, Microsoft and Disney, even distributed this software on their own site though the CNET widget, Disney even had a MP3 Downloaded branded for Disney GO. A man by the name Micheal Mozart (YouTuber JeepersMedia, toy guru) has compiled close to 10,000 pages of evidence against these companies and billionaire Alki David is starting a crusade against these companies to make sure they pay instead of us.

So, see how these laws will affect you now? If you ever used a P2P site or software for piracy, using it EXACTLY as you were instructed, if you ever uploaded a karaoke video of a copyrighted song, if you ever drew a character from a copyrighted anime, if you ever writ a game walkthough guide for a video game, if you ever reviewed a product, you can kiss everyone you know and love goodbye.

Oh, heres another tidbit. Many of the jails are starting to pick up big media corp sponsorships (Dont know what else to call it other than that). So while you slave away in a jail cell, making those movie props or those pens or whatever, only getting paid 25 cents an hour, more jobs go out the window.

So, on another note, whose ready for world war 3? I know everything is doom and gloom right now but resistance is already here. Anonymous' "silent soldiers" are fighting the Governments control. And while I dont suggest the tactics they use (At least right now), I DO however suggest you let your voices be heard. I dont care if you are in Canada, Japan, Greenland, Greece or some tiny unknown island (Which if you were, hows your taxes? Americans are getting taxed to death here. Wait, this is serious *Serious face* stare ), let your voices be heard. Let your Government know you DO NOT support the censorship of the internet and you DO support the ability and right to trade information FREELY.
Gold Eagle 2
Oh Bear

Boys&Girls;LetsMakeLove.

Do you love Google and Wikipedia? What about GaiaOnline? Facebook? YouTube? GameFaQs? Kiss those sites goodbye. The government can now shut down these sites without mercy. How? Lets say you wanted to upload a video of you and your husband/wife first dance to YouTube. One problem, that song your dancing to is Copyrighted. That means you get arrested. Lets say alot of videos like that were on YouTube. The Government can now choose to block YouTube in your country, effectively shutting it down. Like to play games? Like to visit GameFaQs for walkthoughs or secrets you may have missed? Games are Copyrighted as well, which means GameFaQs were blocked in your country and you cant see those walkthoughs anymore or get hints. GaiaOnline? The site were on now? Why, there are LOTS of parody items on here. Ever hear of YouTuber LittleKuriboh, A.K.A CardGamesFTW? Yugioh Abridger? Go ahead and ask him how many times his account was taken down for uploading PARODY videos. TeamFourStar too, they upload parodies of DragonBall Z and their account has been taken down many times before. If companies are willing to take down well known people like LittleKuriboh and TeamFourStar on a well known site, what are the chances that companies wont squash us like a bug? Google could be censored too. Oh yeah, it could. I mean, those searches you do for videos, games or whatever can be taken down without notice.

Oh, and if you ever downloaded something from MegaUpload, RapidShare, LimeWire or any number of other P2P devices or sites (Which are PERFECTLY legal, unless advertised for piracy, but thats for later), you can kiss your mother, father, brother, sister, son, daughter, whoever you want to goodbye because you get a free trip to jail. Oh, you also get fined 150,000 dollars per infringed work. That means if you downloaded 3 songs, 1 game and 1 movie, thats 750,000 dollars you will never see again. Oh, you cant get out of it by declaring bankruptcy either, so better bust up alot of rocks in jail if you downloaded anything.

What else could happen? Anyone remember the PS3 hacker GeoHot? Cracked the PS3 to use Linux, was sued by Sony but the claim was settled out of court for a promise? The cops monitored his person website for anyway visiting it. Not downloading the code to hack the PS3, ANYONE visiting the site. That means if you were doing a report on GeoHot, you couldve been arrested on suspicion of infringing/hacking.

So, SOPA, PIPA and ACTA means the Government can now arrest you on a simple hunch that your up to no good. They dont even need PROOF that you were uploading or downloading something illegal. Want proof? MegaUpload was raided awhile ago. The Feds busted in like they owned the place. These laws werent even PASSED and they busted in the doors leaving heads spinning, flying off into the night sky yelling "Duh, winning" (*Cough* Sorry for the lame rap, this is serious, time for serious face stare ).

Oh, as I said before, many of these sites are legal. Under the MGM Verses Grokster ruling, you are allowed to distribute your P2P software/website, but you CANNOT advertise it for piracy. Oh, anyone remember CNET? A division of CBS/Viacom? Viacom are the people with Spongebob Squarepants. CNET wrote DOZENS of glowing reviews on how LimeWire, Morphious, Bit Torrent and dozens of other tools were the KINGS of PIRACY. They even taught people how to use the tools, gave out the DRM Removal tools and track masking tools so you can use their stuff "safely". They left these reviews up for over a decade (10 Years), so if anyone remembers these reviews, you know what Im talking about. Oh, heres another secret, many of the cheerleaders for these laws, like CBS/Viacom, Microsoft and Disney, even distributed this software on their own site though the CNET widget, Disney even had a MP3 Downloaded branded for Disney GO. A man by the name Micheal Mozart (YouTuber JeepersMedia, toy guru) has compiled close to 10,000 pages of evidence against these companies and billionaire Alki David is starting a crusade against these companies to make sure they pay instead of us.

So, see how these laws will affect you now? If you ever used a P2P site or software for piracy, using it EXACTLY as you were instructed, if you ever uploaded a karaoke video of a copyrighted song, if you ever drew a character from a copyrighted anime, if you ever writ a game walkthough guide for a video game, if you ever reviewed a product, you can kiss everyone you know and love goodbye.

Oh, heres another tidbit. Many of the jails are starting to pick up big media corp sponsorships (Dont know what else to call it other than that). So while you slave away in a jail cell, making those movie props or those pens or whatever, only getting paid 25 cents an hour, more jobs go out the window.

So, on another note, whose ready for world war 3? I know everything is doom and gloom right now but resistance is already here. Anonymous' "silent soldiers" are fighting the Governments control. And while I dont suggest the tactics they use (At least right now), I DO however suggest you let your voices be heard. I dont care if you are in Canada, Japan, Greenland, Greece or some tiny unknown island (Which if you were, hows your taxes? Americans are getting taxed to death here. Wait, this is serious *Serious face* stare ), let your voices be heard. Let your Government know you DO NOT support the censorship of the internet and you DO support the ability and right to trade information FREELY.
emotion_0A0 -makes it my duty to kill the smart one who came up with this idea.-

Barking Puppy

13,525 Points
  • Doggone It! 100
  • Cats vs Dogs 100
  • Cat Fancier 100
unredead
Minaki Cooper
unredead

Maybe not an 'Apocalypse,' but I can see the world changing drastically (and not just because of ACTA/SOPA/PIPA).

I'm sorry you must be thinking about the Bibble, the "christian apocalypse". i'm talking about the original Maya prophecy that states there are changes happening in the universe and that people will start seeing the world in a different way and have a change of heart and other stuff

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff