Welcome to Gaia! ::

As I start this topic, I need to ask a rather embarrassing question...if feminism is women's rights, what is the official name for men's rights?

I see a lot of hostility out there for feminism, usually because it's seen as for women only for obvious reasons.
I seem to have a completely different perspective than others, and I'm wondering if I'm naively optimistic about feminism or something.
Also, this is kind of created thanks to Facebook awkwardness.
I'm friends with a man who's anti-feminism and posts articles trying to prove how harmful and bad it is all the time.
I try to be reasonable about, telling myself 'we can disagree and still be friends' but from the last article he posted I'm starting to think this particular anti-feminism organization is taking pleasure women failing, and I'm having difficulties wanting to stay friends. ... But that's a 'life issues' topic...so, anyways...

Question 1: When you hear feminism, what do you think of and why?

For me, I think equality, the idea that we live in a world where women are still treated with less respect than men in many ways, so feminism is a good and needed thing to even things out.
From what I've seen a "good" feminist takes the equality part seriously and doesn't try to be say "All men are evil" or anything like that.
I think about gender stereotypes and roles, and I believe men suffer from those outdated ideas just as badly as women do, so feminism should help that, right?

Question 2: What do you think of when you hear of men's rights?

Thanks to (sigh) that Facebook drama I admit to being unsure about this one.
I can understand men would want to express equality as well, and a word besides feminist would be more accurate I suppose.
I just can't help but have bad connotations with this one, even though I know logically that's unfair of me.
Mens rights is the default. Womens rights are mens rights because true feminism works for equality for both sexes.

Adored Admirer

Marzipan Mina
As I start this topic, I need to ask a rather embarrassing question...if feminism is women's rights, what is the official name for men's rights?

It's called masculinism.
Pseudo-Onkelos
Marzipan Mina

It's called masculinism.

Or misogyny.
1: Nothing is wrong with feminism. I see an idea of equality and that is always good to strive for

2: Mens rights?
As a middle class white male I find it hard to express pride in my state in life because I become labelled as a white male supremicist for that.
There is nothing wrong with being proud to be a male or a female. Unfortunately the battle of the sexes probably isn't over anytime soon

Adored Admirer

CH1YO
Pseudo-Onkelos
Marzipan Mina

It's called masculinism.

Or misogyny.

That's about as fair as calling feminism misandry. I'll call myself a masculinist, though.

Gaian

Pardon my masculinity but woman will be woman and men will be men. I think that the only reason woman are not taken seriously is because of a few rotten girls who think it is ok to spread their legs, insert a man, and call themselves contributors to society. Case in point, Anchor Babies.
AvenirLegacy
Pardon my masculinity but woman will be woman and men will be men. I think that the only reason woman are not taken seriously is because of a few rotten girls who think it is ok to spread their legs, insert a man, and call themselves contributors to society. Case in point, Anchor Babies.

Funny how you speak with so much self-certainty when you have no idea what you're talking about.

Gaian

The Sky Does Not Bow
AvenirLegacy

Funny how you speak with so much self-certainty when you have no idea what you're talking about.

Care to enlighten me?
Pseudo-Onkelos
CH1YO
Pseudo-Onkelos
Marzipan Mina

It's called masculinism.

Or misogyny.

That's about as fair as calling feminism misandry. I'll call myself a masculinist, though.

I'm humanistic so I win.

Adored Admirer

CH1YO
Pseudo-Onkelos
CH1YO
Pseudo-Onkelos
Marzipan Mina

It's called masculinism.

Or misogyny.

I'm humanistic so I win.

That's even better.
Pseudo-Onkelos
CH1YO
Pseudo-Onkelos
CH1YO
Pseudo-Onkelos
Marzipan Mina

It's called masculinism.

Or misogyny.

I'm humanistic so I win.

That's even better.

Of course, hence my endorsement and stuff.

Sparkly Lunatic

AvenirLegacy
The Sky Does Not Bow
AvenirLegacy

Care to enlighten me?

I know this was not directed at me but I feel compelled to answer for the other poster.
First of all, the plural of 'woman' is 'women'.
Secondly, 'Anchor Babies' have nothing to do with feminism.
And furthermore, just because a woman has sex she is considered rotten? Assuming you were not adopted or obtained by your parents by means other than their sexing of each other and according to your statement, your mother could be considered 'rotten'.

Gaian

THeSLuSH
AvenirLegacy
The Sky Does Not Bow
AvenirLegacy

Care to enlighten me?

Quote:

I know this was not directed at me but I feel compelled to answer for the other poster.
First of all, the plural of 'woman' is 'women'.

I stand corrected, pardon my haste.
Quote:

Secondly, 'Anchor Babies' have nothing to do with feminism.

Said in jest, as I am sure you've noticed.
Quote:

And furthermore, just because a woman has sex she is considered rotten?

I don't believe I said that. Seems like an assumption you made up based on vague and incomplete information.
Quote:

Assuming you were not adopted or obtained by your parents by means other than their sexing of each other and according to your statement, your mother could be considered 'rotten'.

Umm...ok?

Sparkly Lunatic

AvenirLegacy
THeSLuSH
And furthermore, just because a woman has sex she is considered rotten?

I don't believe I said that. Seems like an assumption you made up based on vague and incomplete information.

It was not assumption, it was a question. Maybe you could clarify your statement "a few rotten girls who think it is ok to spread their legs, insert a man, and call themselves contributors to society" so that I better understand what you are saying. The way I read it, you are saying that women who have sex are rotten.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff